Robinson

Toxteth O'Grady

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50797691

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson denies wrongdoing after charge

By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

Sharethis page
Fir Park GV
Stephen Robinson is expected to be in the dugout for Rangers' visit to Fir Park on Sunday

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson has denied any wrongdoing after being arrested and charged in Edinburgh on Friday night.

In a statement given to BBC Scotland, the 45-year-old has described the incident as a "misunderstanding".

Police Scotland has been approached for comment.

"I deny the charges against me and any wrongdoing," said Robinson, who will be in the dugout for Sunday's Scottish Premiership meeting with Rangers.

"I am very upset by what has become a distressing situation for my partner, myself and our families.

"We had a lovely day in Edinburgh and were trying to get home in good time before the incident occurred.

"It is not possible to give a detailed account when a legal process is under way, which adds to our family anxiety.

"I am confident this will be found to be a misunderstanding once the legal process has run its course."

Robinson took over as Motherwell manager in March 2017, leading them to two cup finals in his second season.

The Northern Irishman's side are currently fourth in the Scottish Premiership.

56 minutes ago, ropy said:

Who are we playing tomorrow?

I've heard some crazy conspiracy theories in my time but this would take the fucking biscuit. So you are implying that either Robinson was 'arrested' as part of a conspiracy to help Rangers beat us tomorrow, or that the entire thing has been fabricated by the hacks in order to unsettle us?

• Like 2

Couple of quotes from The Scotsman.

Police Scotland said no-one was injured in the incident which is alleged to have happened on Friday night on Waverley Bridge.

A Police Scotland statement said: “A 45-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with a disturbance on Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh around 7.45pm on Friday, 13 December.

I can see the argument that this might not have been deemed press worthy if we didn't have a game against rangers or celtic at the weekend.

I'm going to wildly speculate on what's happened and say it was a minor traffic collision that lead to some heated discussion.

No confirmation yet if the other party said "shut it Robbo, or I'll get my pal Ainsworth to sort you out again".

• Like 1

A Police Scotland statement said: “A 45-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with a disturbance on Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh around 7.45pm on Friday, 13 December.

I suspect he has gone into ‘touchline mode’ and started arguing with someone forgetting where he was. The police have got involved and the rest is history.  Obviously we don’t know what happened, but in In incidents  with random strangers I was always told it’s best to be the bigger man and to walk away. It would appear Robinson for what ever reason hasn’t been able to do that. 

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I can see the argument that this might not have been deemed press worthy if we didn't have a game against rangers or celtic at the weekend.

We might not be 'big news' as far as the media up here is concerned, but are you seriously suggesting that the manager of a top flight football club being arrested for whatever reason would have been completely passed by without mention had we been playing someone like Killie or St.Mirren this weekend???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I can't. Any Premiership manager being charged with a criminal offence is fairly obviously news, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I suspect he has gone into ‘touchline mode’ and started arguing with someone forgetting where he was. The police have got involved and the rest is history.  Obviously we don’t know what happened, but in In incidents  with random strangers I was always told it’s best to be the bigger man and to walk away. It would appear Robinson for what ever reason hasn’t been able to do that. 

He might have walked away for all we know. A charge is just a charge and might be dismissed after the procurator fiscal reviews it. Could just as easily speculate a Hearts fan recognised him and decided to cause a bit of bother, or someone yelled at one of his kids. We have nothing but speculation at this stage.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, underboyleheating said:

Given there is virtually no information on what's happened or what the charges are that's quite a fuckin imagination you've got on you.

I'm personally suspecting that he's punched the president of Barcelona for having the cheek to tap him up just before a big game. Why the fuck not eh?

• Like 1