Mugabi/ Hartley

livivoice

Like every other fan I really want Mugabi to be a roaring success . Also IMHO I feel he gives us 100% every game. 

But I remain to be convinced about him . What I see is repeated poor positioning, wasteful when in possession and an overall uncertainty in his play. Add to that of the 2 set pieces leading to goals we have conceded against Rangers this season he has been mainly responsible. Also feel he was lucky not to have conceded a penalty for scrambling all over Morelos yesterday.

What I can't get my head around is why he is being favoured over Hartley who by the very fact is on the bench has to be fit. Now, I ain't suggesting Hartley is Maldini but what he offers is sound reading of the game and a reliability which to my eyes breeds confidence throughout the team . He also doesn't require Gallagher to look out for him ( as is the case with Mugabi).

Yup, at end of the day Robinson knows more about the game than I could ever hope to know.

I'm just puzzled.

On the whole I've been impressed with Bevis since he came in.  Far from the finished article certainly but the physique is there allied to an impressive burst of pace to help recover situations.  He's not been without his flaws but I would hope that with greater experience and time to develop he can continue to improve.

As he said himself on the Facebook chat thingy recently it's up to him to take advantage of opportunities that came his way.  I think he did exactly that  over recent games and wasn't deserving of being dropped for the game yesterday (having played pretty well against Rangers at Ibrox earlier in the season also). Up to Robinson to determine what he thinks is the best blend for each opponent but chuck in the likes of Dunne and Tait at full-back and I'd say the options at our disposal currently are one of the better dilemmas to have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, livivoice said:

What I can't get my head around is why he is being favoured over Hartley who by the very fact is on the bench has to be fit.

I'd imagine that Hartley's on the bench because he was sick from the bug that went round and not yet fit enough to start.

• Like 1

Big Bevis is faster and physically bigger and  can also recover better than hartley but his positional play or organisational skills are nowhere near hartleys. Bevis i feel would also be so much better on right of defence as he looks dodgy anytime balls on his left side but i understand robinson not wanting to move gallagher from his usual spot. Hindsight is great but I like others felt hartley would have been better on sunday as he is also so bloody determined which i felt we missed a bit.

He's only recently started back running on the treadmill after a long term injury. Robinson said the reason we signed Mugabi was that due to long-term injuries to Dunne and Devine we lacked cover to see us through to Christmas at centre-back. He's obviously impressed enough since then to get his deal extended.

• Thanks 1