2019’20 game 19: Kilmarnock (A) Sat. Dec 21st 3pm

Brazilian

Just now, texanwellfan said:

Pressing too high for being 1 up 

I don't mind the high press. It's when we're in possession we seem to give it away too cheaply instead of playing the high percentage pass, and keeping it to the low risk areas of the pitch.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I don't mind the high press. It's when we're in possession we seem to give it away too cheaply instead of playing the high percentage pass, and keeping it to the low risk areas of the pitch.

Killie were playing 1 pass and now we had 4 or 5 players there wrong side of the ball.  Was much happier seeing Scott up in the corner. 

A fairly enjoyable game of football, we were marginally better with the ball and without it too. I thought Hartley & Gallagher were class, Hartley has surely nailed down his spot at the back again.

Half way through the season and we are in third place, 11 clear of 5th. I think we'll comfortably finish in the top six but given the gap we've opened up over Killie anything less than 4th place would be very disappointing.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Every fuckin week one of our subs comes on and tries to be Billy big baws and ping one in from 30 yards instead of playing a pass. Every fuckin week. 

It’s Seedorf every time. He started the season getting them on target and they now seem to be getting further away every game.

That was a cracking result today and should give us confidence going up to Dingwall. Good to see Scott getting the full 90 and Hartley getting good reports on his return. 

If Donnelly is out for a few games I think O'Hara, Polworth and Campbell will be ok as a midfield. Campbell should be able to play the holding role no bother. 

Not at the game today but its a good result as Rugby Park and its pitch have given us problems in the past. The win is also the more important given results elsewhere. Carroll is proving to be a useful player at free kicks. A wee bit concerned though that Killie seemed to have missed several great chances. Was that down to scintillating football on Killie's part or us being shaky in defence at times?

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not at the game today but its a good result as Rugby Park and its pitch have given us problems in the past. The win is also the more important given results elsewhere. Carroll is proving to be a useful player at free kicks. A wee bit concerned though that Killie seemed to have missed several great chances. Was that down to scintillating football on Killie's part or us being shaky in defence at times?

To be honest, I don't think Killie missed several great chances - despite some media reports to the contrary. They had to go for it after we went a goal up, but I thought our defence was OK overall. Probably missed Donnelly's influence at the end when we needed to defend a bit more.

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just the usual Motherwell, trying to defend the one goal lead with Killie just going all guns blazing. Polworth missed a glorious chance to kill it.

Anyway four wins from five including the four cleansheets, can argue with with.

3 minutes ago, Kat said:

Just the usual Motherwell, trying to defend the one goal lead with Killie just going all guns blazing. Polworth missed a glorious chance to kill it.

Anyway four wins from five including the four cleansheets, can argue with with.

Also, to be fair, if Long hadn't touched the goal-bound shot when he was offside, we would have killed it off sooner.

They missed one sitter and Gillespie made two good saves, all at a time where were were sitting in an playing more defensively, weirdly enough. Was convinced Thomas was going to sneak a goal.

We should have killed it when Polworth was 1on1, but that aside I thought he had a good game in place of Donnelly.

long is scary fast, and we need to find a way to exploit it more. I think he’d be a lot more effective in a 2. Thought Scott was excellent too.

whatever Andy Rose used to do is what O’Hara did today. Don’t know if that’s good or bad. 

Only Rangers have beaten Kilmarnock at home in the league this season so I think we can’t underestimate this result, not at the game so can’t comment on the performance but for me a big 3 points with another two very winnable games coming up. It’s turning into a very exciting season with the very real possibility of European football next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Every fuckin week one of our subs comes on and tries to be Billy big baws and ping one in from 30 yards instead of playing a pass. Every fuckin week. 

What I see as the problem if there is one is that we have just now 5 fighting for 3 positions with not one of them guaranteed a place.This makes them greedier than normal for goals hence the stupid attempts every week and also when they are on pitch ala long today touching in a ball on the line. But we are 3rd on merit. It also showed today the difference polworth makes with his passing ability as before he was on whilst we had most of ball our midfied 3 tgen do not have polworths vision or awareness. Think ohara needs to be a defensive mid as he won a lot of balls in that role wgen he went there.