2019’20 game 19: Kilmarnock (A) Sat. Dec 21st 3pm

Brazilian

2 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

What I see as the problem if there is one is that we have just now 5 fighting for 3 positions with not one of them guaranteed a place.This makes them greedier than normal for goals hence the stupid attempts every week and also when they are on pitch ala long today touching in a ball on the line. But we are 3rd on merit. It also showed today the difference polworth makes with his passing ability as before he was on whilst we had most of ball our midfied 3 tgen do not have polworths vision or awareness. Think ohara needs to be a defensive mid as he won a lot of balls in that role wgen he went there.

Agree with this, they are clearly trying outrageous stuff to try and force their way in to the team. 

Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest and I'd rather have subs coming on feeling they have to do something outstanding to get in the team than having subs coming on when we are behind and feeling too scared to try anything because of a lack of confidence 

Just watched the highlights. Some fantastic stops from Gillespie, and he seems to have slowed down a bit with the ball in his hands instead of smashing it up the park ASAP. I think he deserves to keep his place. Also thought Scott was very good today. When him and Hylton are running at defenders we will score goals for fun. Really bad miss from Polworth at the end. If he can add goals to his game he'll go from being a good midfielder to a great midfielder.

Any word on Donnelly?

7 hours ago, madscot said:

I was right behind the goals and you could have got a double decker bus in the amount of space their  goalie gave .

Just watched it on the highlights, The goalie was right where Carroll hit the ball. Apparently he couldn’t be arsed lifting his hands to save the ball. Looks like he was expecting it to go to his left and started to move that way and that seemingly rooted him to the spot.  

19 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think that would have been a goal if Long had left it.

Have watched replay a few times and am not convinced the ball was going in

Look at the angle from where the ball was struck from

If it had went passed the post just imagine the pelters Long would have got on here 

to my mind he did the right thing that any good centre forward would have done ………… put the ball in the net !!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

If it had went passed the post just imagine the pelters Long would have got on here 

to my mind he did the right thing that any good centre forward would have done ………… put the ball in the net !!!!

Yes thats what I thought

Just watched the highlights and we played some decent football on the deck. I got the impression that the Killie goalie was unsighted at the free kick as he didn't seem to see the ball - bad positioning? At Brophy's miss our marking was very poor and on that and some other occasions we were guilty of standing off opponents.  We won't get away with that slackness at Dingwall especially in view of their ability to score very late goals.  Agree with others that Gillespie was very impressive. We're in a good position, just now, to have 2 very good goalies.

21 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

My first impression was that it was going in already, and I still think it might have. However, in the moment Chris Long doesn't have a protractor and an action replay, and I agree he did exactly what you'd want him to do. On balance it's far better to have a hungry striker on hand for these opportunities than stood buffing their fingernails on the edge of the 18-yard box.

1 minute ago, Electric Blues said:

My first impression was that it was going in already, and I still think it might have. However, in the moment Chris Long doesn't have a protractor and an action replay, and I agree he did exactly what you'd want him to do. On balance it's far better to have a hungry striker on hand for these opportunities than stood buffing their fingernails on the edge of the 18-yard box.

Agreed it may have gone in but it was not a tap in on the goal line 

There is no way that Long knows for sure that it is going in and he actually has to drag the ball from behind him …… that’s what makes me think it was going past the post or maybe hitting it 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the highlights and we played some decent football on the deck. I got the impression that the Killie goalie was unsighted at the free kick as he didn't seem to see the ball - bad positioning? At Brophy's miss our marking was very poor and on that and some other occasions we were guilty of standing off opponents.  We won't get away with that slackness at Dingwall especially in view of their ability to score very late goals.  Agree with others that Gillespie was very impressive. We're in a good position, just now, to have 2 very good goalies.

We'll be 3 up by that time in Dingwall, so no worries there :whistling:

To be fair, I think you need to stand off opponents a little more on plastic as they often need to take an extra touch to get the ball under control - so I wouldn't be too critical of that.

As poorly as we manage the last 10 minutes sometimes, we came away with another clean sheet, so that is pleasing. Although I'm not sure why everyone was surprised at Brophy missing the target. He's only scored 3 league goals this season and even last season managed 5 less than Turnbull.

Not that he's a bad player by any means. He's young and has potential - but with only one double digit season (11 goals) in his career to date, he's not what you'd call prolific at this stage.

• Like 1

A big win in a number of respects.  Any win is good, obviously, but this felt very significant and I think was celebrated as such.  It felt like there was something psychological about it, a kind of passing of the baton after Kilmarnock's success of last season.  That we overtook Aberdeen to return  was the icing on the cake.

I thought we started the better of the two without threatening a huge amount, bar Campbell's deflected effort and they gradually came into it more as the half wore on. Nothing in it at half-time.

Again I thought we started the second half the better of the sides but this time we were looking a bit more threatening.  There was the disallowed goal and whilst he was only on the pitch as a consequence of Donnelly's injury the introduction of Polworth brought a crispness to our passing and directness that was missing in the first half. I was a bit baffled by the removal of Hylton.  It seems to be the done thing, along similar lines to the Cole-Long rotation, to see Hylton and Seedorf rotate but Jermaine seemed to be coming on to a good game when he was replaced and Sherwin never really cut the mustard.  It's a debate for a different day but he certainly seems the poorer for his failure to start games.

I don't know if there was a collective "feeling" about the free-kick amongst the support or just that it took a while to set up but I've seen several different videos of the goal from various angles from our support.  Each as enjoyable as the last!!

Gillespie made a couple of terrific saves as Killie threw the kitchen sink at us towards the end but our set up wasn't a million miles away given the way we were hitting them on the break.  Had Sherwin passed when Cole was free, Polworth's blocked effort wouldn't even be mentioned.

Scott winning several corners towards the end was brilliant showing a good measure of maturity and demonstrating his terrific touch which had a galvanasing effect on the support behind the goals as we edged towards full-time.

A really enjoyable afternoon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

To be fair, I think you need to stand off opponents a little more on plastic as they often need to take an extra touch to get the ball under control - so I wouldn't be too critical of that.

In general you might well be right, I don't know, but at Brophy's missed sitter O'Donnell is allowed free and unhindered access to our penalty box, only 10 or so yards from our goal, to cut the ball back to Brophy. If we want to sit deep then at least we should make sure that a opponents can't stroll into our box unchallenged.  Still, its a small matter in the great scheme of things. No matter how hard they try, a team will always make mistakes.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

He gets us up the park which is perhaps what we needed at that part of the game but he doesn’t contribute to the ‘team’.  Has he put a cross in?

I Didn't see at any point him getting us up the park and agree he was worse than a man short. He rightly got some well deserved abuse from his team mates due to his lack of effort. So much so he turned to the bench and put his arms out, think he was told very quickly to get his act together.