Game 20: Ross County (A) December 26th 2019

livivoice

Spoke with a Livi mate of mine who watched his team beat County 4-0.

He said County were abject only managing 1 shot on goal. He believes Motherwell will destroy County.

Appreciate that every game is different and yes County may have some of their ill players back but any confidence boost is always welcome. 

Plus we have a score to settle from earlier in the season when we lost a game we should have won.

Pretty sure Carrol won't have forgotten the particular County player who feigned injury resulting in his sending off!!!!

Just watched County on Sportscene and apparently they were hit with the norovirus last week and struggling to field a team. So they have some justification for being so poor.

We should have enough to win this though, even if they are at full strength. I'd start Polworth, but keep Scott in the line-up.

Think we will win by a couple and keep ahead of Aberdeen.

No video stream for this (audio only) which is a shame, so will likely end up watching an English game while listening to the game. 

28 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Spoke with a Livi mate of mine who watched his team beat County 4-0.

He said County were abject only managing 1 shot on goal. He believes Motherwell will destroy County.

Appreciate that every game is different and yes County may have some of their ill players back but any confidence boost is always welcome. 

Plus we have a score to settle from earlier in the season when we lost a game we should have won.

Pretty sure Carrol won't have forgotten the particular County player who feigned injury resulting in his sending off!!!!

I think though you can’t take that dreadful  Livi pitch out of the equation along with the virus. I’m expecting another close game that could go either way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ross said:

Hopefully Brian Graham’s got the illness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was one of the ones missing on Saturday. I concur it would be nice if he doesnt play. Always seems to play well against us. However, Lee Erwin is his replacement so we can start the former player trope instead! 

47 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

They seem to play a lot better at home, but that said they are on a poor run just now so if we continue our good recent form we should win by a couple of goals, 40 points and the threat of relegation removed before the winter break is the target. :yes:

40 points this side of New Year would be a phenomenal return. If we replicate our form in the 2nd half of the season we will comfortably beat our highest points total that we acheived under McCall. On our current budget that is outstanding.

17 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He was one of the ones missing on Saturday. I concur it would be nice if he doesnt play. Always seems to play well against us. However, Lee Erwin is his replacement so we can start the former player trope instead! 

As Well fans, we should know better than be complacent. Assume nothing is the golden rule. However, we are certainly on a strong run with a lot of momentum and confidence on our side. The other side off that coin is that County are not playing well, not scoring and taking a good few trouncings.  
I think though it may be harder than the form book suggests. 3-1 the Steelmen. 

I think the earlier game against County was the first time we showed complacency as a fan base, were we not looking ahead to the following couple of games thinking that 9 points were on the cards.  Lesson learned, get the business head on for this one.

11 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

They seem to play a lot better at home, but that said they are on a poor run just now so if we continue our good recent form we should win by a couple of goals, 40 points and the threat of relegation removed before the winter break is the target. :yes:

The’ve won their last two home games against a Hibs and Killy so not that poor.

While last Saturday was a good day all round for us and other results we have the chance for another good week. Number 1 is us taking care of our game.  Rangers should probably beat Killie, so hoping Livingston can take points off Aberdeen. Not too far fetched, so c’mon super well, let’s get it done.  COYW :clapping:

I think this is an utter shite fixture for Boxing Day. 

Ideal if your young with very little commitments and fancy a day in the swally however I can’t justify essentially pissing off for a 10hr shift to go to the fitba. 

Crap for the players aswell as they need to travel on Xmas day. 

Onto the game itself this will be a tough one. They will be out to prove themselves after the Livi doing and should be right up for it.

Polworth straight in for Donnelly if he isn’t fit. Keep the rest of the team the same from the weekend. 

• Like 1

To be fair it is ideal if you are a Ross County fan and as long as travelling at the festive time is passed around over the years then we should take one on the chin.

I won’t be there, will be sneaking a listen to Open All Mikes during family time.

Think this will be a tough one and wouldn't be too upset with a draw presuming we win on Sunday. 4 points should hopefully keep us in 3rd place going into the break.

As many have said Polworth will come in for Donnelly presuming he's not fit, with O'Hara or Campbell playing the Donnelly role. I would also bring in Cole for Long.....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Someone has to go to Dingwall at Christmas. They play St Johnstone on derby day so any other side has a big trek to get there on Boxing Day.

Most of the players don't have family in Scotland and they have to train anyway. 6 points then they can have a good New Year.

Cheers Grinch! 

44 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Someone has to go to Dingwall at Christmas. They play St Johnstone on derby day so any other side has a big trek to get there on Boxing Day.

Most of the players don't have family in Scotland and they have to train anyway. 6 points then they can have a good New Year.

True that.  Imagine the uproar if we did a hearts and let the manager disappear for over half a week in the run up to the biggest game in years. I suppose it’s not much different to the arrangement we had with mcghee second time around

I’m up north for Christmas with my family and the weather is not too bad - sunny intervals all day tomorrow and showers on Thursday  (30% chance of rain during the game). So me and my two sons are going to the game for sure. 
I think it’s a real litmus of our progress, with County being the only team to beat us unpredictably in recent times.  If we can win this it sets up Accies nicely and two wins going in to the winter break will do very nicely thank you very much! 
The ground should be firm enough and hopefully we see a real drive to avenge the previous loss - the only real blemish on our season. 
I’d like to see Campbell, O’Hara and Polworth starting with Scott and Hylton running hard at a shaky defence. Long up top and the goalie and back four are stable and pick themselves.

8 hours ago, couttsy said:

Think this will be a tough one and wouldn't be too upset with a draw presuming we win on Sunday. 4 points should hopefully keep us in 3rd place going into the break.

Agree that a point would not be the worst result. Ross County are not doing much away from home (dodgy smash and grab at Fir Park accepted) so going to Dingwall will undoubtedly be a battle. As for presuming anything about the following fixture, I've been a 'well fan too long to make that mistake. Concentrate on the job in hand, be professionally focused and up for the fight and then let's see what it gets us.

Oh, and a Merry Christmas to all Motherwell fans, wherever it may find you, seeing as it is Christmas morning here in Aotearoa.

• Like 1