Game 20: Ross County (A) December 26th 2019

livivoice

38 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Brilliant result given that county apparently played very well.

Did they? Not from my view!

We should have been 2 up when they Scored from their first attempt. Then they sat back, hacked and timewasted for 70 odd minutes. They had a few attempted counter attacks but were little more than ok overall

Good to get a win over County especially after their victory at our patch and it went tits up that day. However this squad is a team full of excellent players that play for the badge and give everything. 

Said even before MacIver was brought into the first team squad we should be looking at getting him involved. So it’s great to see another youngster get his chance and score a screamer on his debut. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Good to get a win over County especially after their victory at our patch and it went tits up that day. However this squad is a team full of excellent players that play for the badge and give everything. 

Said even before MacIver was brought into the first team squad we should be looking at getting him involved. So it’s great to see another youngster get his chance and score a screamer on his debut. 

What is his position, came on for Campbell but Robbo described him as a no. 9

Going by highlights we were deserved winners. 2 great results in this mini run of 3 games. Probably the hardest two out of the 3 but can’t get complacent. We need to go out on Sunday play like we are capable of and put the work in to get another 3 points and finish the year on high sitting in third spot with 40 points and serious contenders for third place at the end of the season. 

Really enjoyed the game yesterday, County were fairly neat with the ball but they weren't up to much at all going forward. Just after they went down to 10 men they broke forward and one of their players inexplicably went for goal instead of playing in their striker for what would've surely been 2-0. I would've been absolutely raging if one of our boys had done that, it ultimately cost them the game.

Gallagher - quiet day saves wise, he was decent with the ball at his feet.

Tait - shaky start, very surprised at the abuse he was given from the stands at times. He settled in well and I thought had a good game. Not sure on who the right back slot should go to tbh.

Gallagher - absolute MotM. Wouldn't mind seeing him play in the holding role, he's very good with the ball at his feet. 

Hartley - distribution not great in the first half, but defensively solid. 

Carroll - not his best day but offered a lot going forward during the onslaught

Campbell - pretty good game, worked very hard. Not sure if it was his runner for the goal or not.

Polworth - quiet day but played some excellent passes. Need more from him overall.

O'Hara - didn't think he was as great as he was made out to be last week but this week I thought he had a really good game. We need someone to link the play from the back and he was constantly looking to do that. Would be happy to see him come here full time. 

Hylton - he is so tricky and has a real moment of quality but drops out the game for long spells. I reckon one day we will see him turn it on for a full 90 mins and absolutely ruin some team. Here's hoping it's Sunday.

Scott - a tough day and he should've scored. He did some really good stuff with his back to goal but his finishing must improve.

Seedorf - much better 45, I really felt for him in the first half at times. The guy is lightning, we need to find a way to utilise that.

Maciver - when I saw him warming up I thought he'd won a raffle from the U15s or something, he looked so young. First thing he did when he came on was win a header vs one of the County brutes, and what a fuckin goal!

Special mention to the away fans, and what scenes at the end. 

Also - I thought I read that Sloth on the bench but I didn't see him come out to warm up? 

33 minutes ago, steelboy said:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/motherwell-scum.101598/

Follow Follow having a normal one. 

"The Fenianisation of Motherwell FC"!

Exactly the type of comments I expect from that mob.   Always the victim, same as their friends from across the city.   

Pity we couldn't send them back to the bottom tier  but this time keep them there 

For the reserves the last few weeks he’s been a striker but only when the first team lads aren’t playing. Usually a winger. So brings some versatility to our front line. 

Do you go to most of the reserve games?do you think Cornelius or anyone is ready to come through the first team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Ross said:

Do you go to most of the reserve games?do you think Cornelius or anyone is ready to come through the first team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve watched a couple but I don’t go to them. I’d assume from the selection of the management team that he’s not on the bench yet is that he’s not ready yet. Would be a good idea to get some of the lads out on loan. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I take it as a back handed compliment that they can actually be bothered  talking about us in respect of a game they were'nt even playing in!

Given the utter victim/seige mentality they now display as a support its rather ironic that its they who now look and sound like Celtic! :lol:

1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Exactly the type of comments I expect from that mob.   Always the victim, same as their friends from across the city.   

Pity we couldn't send them back to the bottom tier  but this time keep them there 

Really quite strange comments.  As fairly new supporters of the club we don’t recognise any of these statements. Well fans in general tend to be very friendly and it’s very much a family oriented club, never had a problem with anyone. In our two seasons at a Rangers those around us were mostly older individuals who spent the whole game spouting hatred. Are Rangers fans blind to what goes on around them.

It’s sad what’s happened to Motherwell I still remember going to one of their games at Ayr in the eighties and they were belting out. “ the Motherwell boys drink whisky and gin not your papish holy water in f****n Carfin “. I’d imagine their ultras don’t sing that now.

Been going to games for over 50+ years and have never heard that lyric - the shit they make up to justify their position, just defies belief.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Wasn't at the game yesterday. Read in a report online that "the only black spot for Well was the away fans’ behaviour in unsavoury scenes – spilling onto the park after the winner and fighting with stewards after the final whistle" so came on here to see what the script was. Seemed like a fairly insignificant event, but for what it's worth I really wish our support wouldn't do things like run onto the pitch.

Reading the above FF thread is a ridiculous read however. I know you'll always get biased football fans on forums, but some of the conspiratorial pish in there is unbelievable!!

I dont even bother reading the follow follow forum as will just be full of nonsense. However I agree with Stu, I wish some of our supporters could just enjoy the goals instead of trying to get onto the pitch.  That's been a few incidents recently that dont look good.  Keep up the great support lads but let's not give the old firm loving media any ammunition ....COYWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Like 1

I actually can't stop reading. 

The guys who actually run the motherwell group are celtic fans. One is from Blantyre and was a member of the gangrene brigade, the other is the wee fhanny who thought he was hard as nails not giving Lee Wallace the ball a few years ago. They seem to have a sheer hatred of Rangers but yet have some sort of friendship with Celtic.

Sickening.

53 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

Wasn't at the game yesterday. Read in a report online that "the only black spot for Well was the away fans’ behaviour in unsavoury scenes – spilling onto the park after the winner and fighting with stewards after the final whistle" so came on here to see what the script was. Seemed like a fairly insignificant event, but for what it's worth I really wish our support wouldn't do things like run onto the pitch.

As a support we will undoubtedly be criticised by the events in the aftermath of the 2nd goal where a significant number of fans spilled onto the pitch.

Without looking to justify or minimise it, it really was just a moment of euphoric exhuberance involving our players and fans after winning the game in the dying seconds. No one got hurt, nothing got damaged, but ultimately you cant really be doing that and not expect there to be some fall out.

As for events after the final whistle, that was a different matter entirely. The girl from our media team was justifiably trying to film our fans celebrations at the end and for some reason the stewards were trying to stop her. She gamefully carried on causing 2 of the stewards to physically man handle her out of the way. This resulted in one of our fans (male, but not a daft wee boy) to try and intervene and protect her. He was thereafter dragged to the ground by several stewards causing Alan Burrows to rush across to intervene. 

It was all totally unecessary as all the fans were safely back in the stand long before that and most were heading out towards their buses. I would hope the club will discuss and address this with County, although we will be on a fairly weak footing given the pitch incursion.

Immense credit to the team, management and those who travelled up to back the side yesterday.   A great reward for everyone's efforts after what is arguably the best way to win a game.  I think it says a lot when you go through the team and see Seedorf and Tait starting for the first time in a while, O'Hara making only his second start in a few months, Scott playing centrally for the first time in a good bit and also missing the likes of Donnelly, Long and Cole.  Albeit the red card made a significant difference but it is both encouraging and reassuring that those on the fringes of the team can make a positive contribution when called upon.

The Follow Follow forum has been an enjoyable wee time-killer during lunchtime.  Clearly more kudos involved in beating Partick Thistle in injury time and running on the pitch to celebrate than there is against Ross County....

It's us in this instance but it could be anybody really. As one of their own even admits they've been on the park more than any other team since they made it to the top flight. What I actually find quite interesting is the painful and slow realisation in some of them that the grip they believe have held on Scottish football and perhaps even Scottish society, going by some of the angst ridden posts, is slipping away from them.  For me I'm content enough that when we are pissing off either half of the Old Firm then we must be doing a good deal right.

A very good team performance at a difficult venue and with a few regulars missing.  Yes, the straight red card, thoroughly deserved by the way, was a pivotal point in the game but the team stuck to its task and wore County down.  I've watched the TV highlights and we missed a fair few chances, as did Ross County (maybe not quite so many in their case). They can't whine about losing late goals as they did the very same to us earlier in the season.  MacIver's goal was an absolute belter, and while I doubt he'll do that too often I hope it gives him the heart to kick on and not prove to be a false omen like Marc Fitzpatrick.  Gallagher continues to impress and Hylton is improving. The big man is a real threat at set pieces isn't he? I hope Seedorf can find some form and consistency as he has real ability and pace. O'Hara too seems to be settling in although his opportunities so far have been limited. One of the few minuses for me was the goal that we lost. The County player who crossed the ball was in acres of space with Tait standing well off him. He was allowed time and space to pick his target who was unmarked in the danger area. Still Robbo and Keef will no doubt be analysing every mistake as well as the good things. 

A very satisfying game especially for those who travelled.