Game 21: Hamilton Accies (H) December 29th 2019

Andy_P

Don't know what happened to us at half time, but we were all over the place and them going ahead was just inevitable, as poor a half of football I've ever seen from us. Legitimately the worst game half of those players have had for us. Mugabe was particularly terrible. 

We were far from convincing in the first half as well, with a big let off in the first couple of minutes, right before our well taken goal. 

We played well for maybe 15 minutes then fell away badly.  Rarely seen a team dominate us so much at Fir Park as Accies did today. We were far too complacent and were totally outfought losing almost a all 50/50 battles. Midfield were totally anonymous. Our second half substitutions  only served to give Accies encouragement. Many mistakes both on and off the pitch today.

• Like 1

I think if you are being completely honest our results have been better than our performances recently so I'm not that surprised about what happened but having said that it was our poorest performance  in a long while.

Started well and scored a good goal but almost immediately after scoring the goal we went into first gear, became withdrawn, got sluggish and sloppy.  Even then Accies should have still opened the scoring in the first couple of minutes but they too were poor in the first half so we kind of got away with it.

Second half was atrocious and Accies gave us a hosing.  7 or 8 players just didn't look interested and the truth is 1-2 defeat made us look better than we were, Accies should have scored more.  Could easily have been 1-4 or 1-5.  Gillespie has made a great save, Moyo has headed inches wide and there was plenty more chances beside those for Accies.

If we'd won today we would have gone into the Scottish Cup match with a lot of confidence, I think today's performance has got to put a little bit of doubt in there now because we were really so poor.

I've been saying for a while that our central midfield area is a concern and today didn't change that. 

• Like 1

We didn't have much in the way of midfield options on the bench, but that's where we needed the extra body when we brought Hartley on. Maguire for either Scott or Hylton at that point would have made more sense to me. But even if we did go with the extra defender, bringing on seedorf was dumb as fuck. 

An absolute cluster of a second half, at 1-1 I  was quite happy for the ref to blow the final whistle. I found the subs totally baffling, Hartley surely should have replaced Mugabi who was all over the place by that point and Seedorf centrally on his own ?

Probably  as bad a half of football from us in a long time, second to just about every ball, their goalkeeper had nothing to do and Robinson got it totally wrong today and has to take a big chunk of responsibility.

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

An absolute cluster of a second half, at 1-1 I  was quite happy for the ref to blow the final whistle. I found the subs totally baffling, Hartley surely should have replaced Mugabi who was all over the place by that point and Seedorf centrally on his own ?

Probably  as bad a half of football from us in a long time, second to just about every ball, their goalkeeper had nothing to do and Robinson got it totally wrong with the subs.

To be fair to Robinson he can only make three subs and about 8 players needed hauled off today.

I think he got it wrong changing the formation but he was put in a bad position but an appalling second display by just about the whole team.

Managers can pull things out the bag sometimes but I think today the level of performance across the team put that beyond much hope.

I think using Seedorf as the scapegoat is ignoring the garbage from every single player before and after he entered the game.

I wasn’t using seedorf as a scapegoat the whole team was terrible TODAY but seedorf is just horrendous canny do anything right.Hes verging on being one of the worst Motherwell players of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Got what we deserved. Thing is, a bad day at the office can happen but the concern was that it was obvious an Accies goal was coming and the manager either chose not to change it or didn't feel he had the options to change it positively. The change to 352 did nothing to improve things. What we needed to try to do was improve our ball retention. Semple an option? Without Cole there was no option that was going to make the ball stick up top. You could have moved Scott up top but he needed removed for his own protection about 10 minutes before it actually happened but it looked like Robinson didn't know what to do. 

A few had their worst games in a Motherwell jersey today. It happens.  We move on...

I thought getting Hartley on made sense, we needed a leader on the pitch, a talker, it didn’t work.  Changing to a back 3 during the game has proved to be disruptive earlier in the season.

Can’t really explain the fall away in the second half and there were signs of it in the first.

Accies stepped it up, we switched off and got what we deserved.

Shocker of a performance, got exactly what we deserved....Played well for 15/20 mins, after that we were a mile off the pace.

Massive fan of Robinson, but thought at the start of the 2nd half it was crying out for another body in midfield. McGuire for Hylton was the obvious change....Scott was terrible in the 2nd half but when he went off it left us with no height up front at all and with Accies stopping us playing out it left us with no out ball.......

Tough one to take....