Team of the decade

GazzyB

The MFC Facebook page popped up with a team of the decade survey today, something for us to discuss during the winter break...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/survey-taken/?sm=S8HrU6d71Cq8L5LNi9OjSTHo2_2FOiqWo6HrvD1IEaSCx68PQ5K6haZIpVVDvXAltEr63cdMFmS9SdpDMHxYHykSCje_2FVcRXD4LYWcvMhfsE0_3D

I didn't spend long on it but I went with...

Randolph

Tait

Hutchison

Reynolds

Hammell

Humphrey

Law

Pearson

Murphy

Moult

Higdon

Probably forgotten a few gems, and not ideal having Murphy on the left wing but would go with that front two every time!

Edit - would be fairly interested in seeing some starting XIs for our worst team of the decade!

Aye gave it a go myself went with

Randolph 

Tait Hutchinson McManus Hammell

Cadden Law Lasley Johnson 

Moult Higdon

I thought Murphy left too early in the decade for inclusion but may have been too hasty on that. McManus gets in for longevity more than anything else, Gallacher is on course for the centre back spot next to Hutchinson.

Randolph 

Hateley Hutchinson Aldred Hammell

Lasley Jennings

Murphy Turnbull M.Johnson

Sutton

Lasley and Jenno at their peak dominated games. Probably no one will agree with my Sutton call but he was a more consistent finisher than Higdon and just generally more consistent than Moult. 

Best of the Decade...

Randolph

Tait, Kipre, Hutchinson, Hammell

Ainsworth, Lasley, Campbell, Humphrey

Sutton, Higdon

Lots of contradictions and 50/50's in there. Tried to go for longevity but still went for Kipre.  Wanted to squeeze in Lionel and Humphrey. Sutton nudged out Moult as he did the business twice.

15 hours ago, steelboy said:

Probably no one will agree with my Sutton call but he was a more consistent finisher than Higdon and just generally more consistent than Moult. 

You're just pissed off that you slagged off Higdon as fat and useless not long before he broke the goal scoring record and won player of the year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

You're just pissed off that you slagged off Higdon as fat and useless not long before he broke the goal scoring record and won player of the year.

I don't think I said he was useless. Definitely too fat and that's why he was out the game at 32. 

Sutton would have scored as many over the two seasons. His goal totals in 10/11 and especially 13/14 in worse teams are more impressive imo. 

• Confused 1

The BBC did a team of the decade. The one genuine contender for that team from a Motherwell perspective was Randolph. Fraser Foster got the vote and it would be hard to argue with that but there can be few better keepers in  Scotland over this last decade. 

Interestingly he replaced John Ruddy who arguably was as good if not better in his time at Motherwell. I will never forget his triple save at Tannadice which was probably the best save(s),  I have seen live at a game. 

Considering our first and second choice keepers at the moment, we have been fairly blessed over the last decade  in this area. 

4 minutes ago, star sail said:

The BBC did a team of the decade. The one genuine contender for that team from a Motherwell perspective was Randolph. Fraser Foster got the vote and it would be hard to argue with that but there can be few better keepers in  Scotland over this last decade. 

Interestingly he replaced John Ruddy who arguably was as good if not better in his time at Motherwell. I will never forget his triple save at Tannadice which was probably the best save(s),  I have seen live at a game. 

Considering our first and second choice keepers at the moment, we have been fairly blessed over the last decade  in this area. 

We did also spend a few years with Hollis, Twardzik, Nielsen and Samson. We've had a weirdly mixed bag, other than Ripley who was pretty middle of the road it's been all sugar or shite.

4 minutes ago, Yassin said:

We did also spend a few years with Hollis, Twardzik, Nielsen and Samson. We've had a weirdly mixed bag, other than Ripley who was pretty middle of the road it's been all sugar or shite.

Yes. Hollis came into my mind seconds after I posted. It may have been better to say the decade started and ended well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't on much over the holidays so must have missed this.

My Motherwell XI 2010 - 2020

Gk - Darren RANDOLPH (also my all time pick)

Rb - Tom HATELEY (strange that we've been fairly weak at right back all through the decades, not a great selection but edged it over Tait)

Cb - Stephen CRAIGAN (better than often given credit for)

Cb - Shaun HUTCHINSON 

Lb - Steven HAMMELL 

Rw - Chris HUMPHREY (again bit weak down the right, Ainsworth was just too inconsistent and declined over his period at the club, while Humphery left a much better player than when he joined so he gets the nod)

Cm - Keith LASLEY

Cm - David TURNBULL  (not even one full season but just too good to leave out.  Actually a lot of players in this area were highly inconsistent with good seasons and very poor seasons - McFadden, Pearson, Ojamaa etc.  Nicky Law probably the hardest done by not to make it.)

Lw - Jamie MURPHY (actually preferred him playing through the middle but still good enough to take the left midfield spot)

Cf - John SUTTON (Another, like Craigan, who I feel doesn't get the credit he deserves, excellent goal record over multiple seasons)

Cf - Louis MOULT (our best striker since Tommy Coyne.  McDonald and Higson deserve mentions)

And my nightmare XI

Gk - Gunnar Nielsen

RB - Fraser Kerr, CB - Louis Lang, CB - Zak Jules, LB - Joe Chalmers

RW - Deimantas Petravicius, MC (You could easily have about 10 absolutely deserving duds in here but I'll go with...) Jake Taylor, MC - Paul  Lawson,  LW - Elliot Frear (although not good enough overall, probably doesn't deserve to play along side most of the rest of this team). 

Cf - Alex Fisher, Cf - Jacob Blyth (only had 1 league start but I can't not put him in!)

50 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Can’t believe Michael fraser has escaped selection for many of the nightmare teams. He was far worse than some of the other names banded around. 

Didn't play many games and was as far back in the decade as you could get.  That and some ignominious competition probably got him off the hook.

LEAGUE APPEARANCES 2010 - 2019

LASLEY, Keith

HAMMELL, Stevie 219 2
McMANUS, Stephen 135 5
HATELEY, Tom 126 9
AINSWORTH, Lionel 121 23
HUMPHREY, Chris 120 6
HUTCHINSON, Shaun 115 4
SUTTON, John 113 54
RANDOLPH, Darren 111 0
MURPHY, Jamie 111 30
CADDEN, Chris 106 6
TAIT, Richard 106 2
CAMPBELL, Allan 92 8
CARSWELL, Stuart 87 0
McHUGH, Carl 85 3
MOULT, Louis 84 38
McDONALD, Scott 83 24
CRAIGAN, Stephen 81 0
GRIMSHAW, Liam 80 0
LAW, Nicky 76 10
OJAMAA, Henrik 73 14
BOWMAN, Ryan 72 10
HIGDON, Michael 72 40
RAMSDEN, Simon 69 1
FRANCIS-ANGOL, Zaine 66 3
JENNINGS, Steve 64 0
LAW, Josh 64 0
DUNNE, Charles 60 0
FREAR, Elliott 57 3
McHUGH, Bob 57 5
ALDRED, Tom 54 4
KERR, Fraser 54 1
JOHNSON, Marvin 53 6
PEARSON, Stephen 50 9
GILLESPIE, Mark 48 0
McFADDEN, James 48 11
MAIN, Curtis 47 8
VIGURS, Ian 47 6
BIGIRIMANA, Gael 45 2
CARSON, Trevor 45 0
HARTLEY, Peter 44 4
HENEGHAN, Ben 41 1
ROSE, Andy 40 2
DALEY, Omar 39 3
FORBES, Ross 39 0
RIPLEY, Connor 38 0
REYNOLDS, Mark 38 2
KIPRE, Cedric 36 1
SAMSON, Craig 36 0
SAUNDERS, Steven 36 2
CLAY, Craig 35 1
ERWIN, Lee 34 5
REID, Craig 34 1
SCOTT, James 34 4
ANIER, Henri 32 9
THOMAS, Dom 32 0
TURNBULL, David 32 15
TWARDZIK, Dan 30 0
LEITCH, Jack 27 0
CLANCY, Tim 26 0
LAING, Louis 26 2
MOORE, Craig 26 1
CHALMERS, Joe 25 0
CUMMINS, Adam 25 1
TANNER, Craig 25 6
DONNELLY, Liam 22 6
JOHNSON, Danny 22 6
KENNEDY, Kieran 22 0
GALLAGHER, Declan 21 2
HYLTON, Jermaine 21 2
POLWORTH, Liam 21 1
LAWSON, Paul 20 0
RODRIGUEZ GORRIN, Alex 20 0
COLE, Devante 19 4
O'BRIEN, Mark 19 0
SEEDORF, Sherwin 19 2
NIELSEN, Gunnar 19 0
O'BRIEN, Jim 19 3
BLACKMAN, Nick 18 10
HALL, Ben 18 1
HOLLIS, Lee 18 0
LONG, Chris 18 5
ARIYIBI, Gboly 17 2
HASTIE, Jake 17 6
COKE, Giles 17 2
JUTKIEWICZ 17 5
RUDDY, John 17 0
CARROLL, Jake 16 2
FERGUSON, David 16 0
SAMMON, Connor 16 0
GOW, Alan 15 1
FLETCHER, Wes 14 1
GUNNING, Gavin 14 0
McMILLAN, Jack 14 0
PAGE, Johnny 14 0
CASAGOLDA, Esteban 13 0
LONG, George 13 0
PETRAVICIUS, Deimantas 13 0
JONES, Steve 12 1
MAGUIRE, Barry 12 0
STRAKER, Tony 12 0
CIFTCI, Nadir 11 3
FISHER, Alex 11 0
GRANT, Conor 11 1
MacLEAN, Ross 11 0
GOMIS, Morgaro 10 0
GRIFFITHS, Russell 10 0
HIGGINBOTHAM, Kallum 10 1
JEFFERS, Francis 10 1
JULES, Zak 10 1
LUCAS, Lee 10 0
O'HARA, Mark 10 0
ROBINSON, Theo 9 0
NEWELL, George 8 0
FITZPATRICK, Marc 8 0
McGLINCHEY, Michael 8 0
CLARKSON, David 7 0
MUGABI, Beavis 7 0
TAYLOR, Jake 7 0
WATT, Luke 7 0
HENDRIE, Stephen 6 0
MBULU, Christian 6 0
ROSS, Maurice 6 0
TAYLOR-SINCLAIR, Aaron 6 0
BLYTH, Jacob 5 0
LIVINGSTONE, Adam 5 0
GORDON, Shea 4 0
ILIC, Christian 4 0
FRASER, Michael 4 0
HETHERINGTON, Steve 3 0
HUGHES, Stephen 3 0
McCORMACK, Ross 3 0
MURRAY, Euan 3 0
POLLOCK, Jamie 3 0
SEMPLE, Jamie 3 0
MACIVOR, Ross 2 1
MAZINGA, Christy 2 1
MEECHAN, Steven 2 0
SMITH, Gary 2 0
THOMAS, Nathan 2 0
BROWN, Liam 1 0
CORNELIUS, Dan 1 0
DEVINE, David 1 0
FERGUSON, Rohan 1 0
MACKIN, Dylan 1 0
SHIRKIE, Dale 1 0
STEWART, Ross 1 0

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Wasn't on much over the holidays so must have missed this.

My Motherwell XI 2010 - 2020

Gk - Darren RANDOLPH (also my all time pick)

Rb - Tom HATELEY (strange that we've been fairly weak at right back all through the decades, not a great selection but edged it over Tait)

Cb - Stephen CRAIGAN (better than often given credit for)

Cb - Shaun HUTCHINSON 

Lb - Steven HAMMELL 

Rw - Chris HUMPHREY (again bit weak down the right, Ainsworth was just too inconsistent and declined over his period at the club, while Humphery left a much better player than when he joined so he gets the nod)

Cm - Keith LASLEY

Cm - David TURNBULL  (not even one full season but just too good to leave out.  Actually a lot of players in this area were highly inconsistent with good seasons and very poor seasons - McFadden, Pearson, Ojamaa etc.  Nicky Law probably the hardest done by not to make it.)

Lw - Jamie MURPHY (actually preferred him playing through the middle but still good enough to take the left midfield spot)

Cf - John SUTTON (Another, like Craigan, who I feel doesn't get the credit he deserves, excellent goal record over multiple seasons)

Cf - Louis MOULT (our best striker since Tommy Coyne.  McDonald and Higson deserve mentions)

And my nightmare XI

Gk - Gunnar Nielsen

RB - Fraser Kerr, CB - Louis Lang, CB - Zak Jules, LB - Joe Chalmers

RW - Deimantas Petravicius, MC (You could easily have about 10 absolutely deserving duds in here but I'll go with...) Jake Taylor, MC - Paul  Lawson,  LW - Elliot Frear (although not good enough overall, probably doesn't deserve to play along side most of the rest of this team). 

Cf - Alex Fisher, Cf - Jacob Blyth (only had 1 league start but I can't not put him in!)

Elliot Frear in a nightmare 11 is an absolutely wild shout, he wasn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but to have him in a nightmare 11 is way off the mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Elliot Frear in a nightmare 11 is an absolutely wild shout, he wasn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but to have him in a nightmare 11 is way off the mark.

I said as much. There are at 10+  midfielders who were much worse (Gomis, Clay, etc) but they tended to be central midfielders and given the limited choice of left wingers that's who I went for.