Game 22: Aberdeen (A) 22nd January 2020

GazzyB

29 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Funny feeling we'll lose this 2-0. Still comfortably fourth after 22 games, I can live with...

I agree but feel it may well be a bigger loss. Pity we did not beat Accies and had a bit of a buffer. However, you just never know with us at the moment and I hope I am eating humble pie on Thursday. (ps I hate everything about Aberdeen).

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

We need guys who were piss poor in the game at Fir Park to step up. Campbell and Polworth got dominated so they will hopefully be motivated to redeem themselves.

Yes.

Hopefully Grimshaw and Donnelly will return and Polworth is passed fit. Midfield will be critical and Donnelly and Campbell will need to be at their defensive and competitive best. If fit, this is a great opportunity for Liam Polworth to prove that he can turn on his undoubted talent in a big game.  Central defence is a worry.  I have no fears about big Declan but who should partner him? Aberdeen will not be as wasteful as Dundee were last Saturday and if we are are careless we'll lose a goal or two.

I dont think we can afford to go with our usual 433 in this one. I think we need to match Aberdeen up in midfield and compete that area so we dont get caught out like we did at Fir Park.

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Carroll

Donnelly O'Hara Campbell Polworth

Scott Long

Id bite yer hand off for a draw right now.

Generally think that a point away at Aberdeen is a decent return. Would add that,at present, we are more than capable of getting one. As such, I tend to get greedy and think that we could sneek a win. They are scarcely worldbeaters and if we go with the right attitude and tactics there is no reason we cannot get a result.

The Vyner and Leigh midfield that McInnes lucked out on that day due to injuries haven't really played in that format regularly since.  Took everyone by surprise including Aberdeen how well that worked...

Donnelly for O'Hara. Grimmy for Tait will do me. 

Win would be smashing, point will do nicely too.

6 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I don’t think Aberdeen have been overly impressive but neither have we. So I think it’s going to depend on who turns up for which team. I’m hoping it’s our boys that turn up. 

The Dons fans over on the P&B match thread don't sound confident at all. There's a real battle of negativity going on there.

In related news, MJC predicts a 3-0 home win. Sorry, did I say "news"...?

Aberdeen need to bring their A game to this fixture, and in recent weeks have been well short of that standard. I think we have more to find as well but other than the Accies game we have had enough about us to find ways to win. I’m hoping Robinson gets the tactics right tonight, keeps it tight in the middle of the park ( Donnelly, Polworth, Campbell as a minimum, please), gives Illic a run out to build on two good goals for the reserves, a funds a way to keep Cosgrove locked out (and he would be less exciting if the penalties were not part of his tally). Hoping to see Long keep up his scoring streak too against a pretty ponderous Aberdeen defence, and looking for a better display from Scott to keep them nervous about pushing forward. I fancy we can take all three points which, as well as opening a gap, would be coming at a key psychological moment in the season. 3-1 the Well!

1 hour ago, Hope Springs said:

I’m hoping Robinson gets the tactics right tonight, keeps it tight in the middle of the park ( Donnelly, Polworth, Campbell as a minimum, please)....

Agreed but we mustn't neglect our flanks either. We need to guard them closely and prevent unnecessary crosses and incursions into the box.

At Fir Park  Cosgrove was very strong against Gallacher. Probably the worst I've seen Declan struggle for us. That along with the way they sat in and us relying on everything going down the flanks made the game at fir park very difficult for us.

I imagine they'll be far more positive at home which may work in our favour.