Game 22: Aberdeen (A) 22nd January 2020

GazzyB

I think if we are able to take a point or 3 off Hibs that’ll be another real point proven. They’re a lot better now than they were the last time at FP but on our game then we should win. Interesting to see our team for hibs as Long may be out which is a massive blow but the return of Hylton hopefully will be a big boost.

Just now, supermarv said:

I think if we are able to take a point or 3 off Hibs that’ll be another real point proven. They’re a lot better now than they were the last time at FP but on our game then we should win. Interesting to see our team for hibs as Long may be out which is a massive blow but the return of Hylton hopefully will be a big boost.

We're suddenly looking very short of strikers. Currently Scott and Manzinga?

On 1/21/2020 at 11:25 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont think we can afford to go with our usual 433 in this one. I think we need to match Aberdeen up in midfield and compete that area so we dont get caught out like we did at Fir Park.

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Carroll

Donnelly O'Hara Campbell Polworth

Scott Long

Id bite yer hand off for a draw right now.

Ok so I got the score wrong! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I said on here that I thought we'd lose this one. Glad to be proved wrong. Speaking of proved wrong, it's noticeable how important Liam Donnelly has become to our team. No coincidence that two of our poorest home performances this season have come when he's been unavailable (thinking of Aberdeen and Accies at home). 

As others have pointed out, Long's injury is a concern. A lot of weight on James Scott's shoulders...

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

If anyone has any spare time I encourage you to check out the Aberdeen forums. It is immmmmmmmmensely enjoyable. 

Thanks! That was a good read. Not sure how far back you went but my favorite was one guy saying “ Long could cause our defense problems” to which another sheep replied “long john silver could cause our defense problems” :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Looking at the highlights I’m not sure how that was anything other than a blatant penalty but who cares.

Did not see the Pen shout on the MFC highlights ?

I did see the cross for the goal. Polworth splits opinion just as fans if ICT said he would but by god he is one skilful player. That cross for the goal. Perfect height and length to evade their central defenders and the goalie.  Tiger Woods in his prime could not have chipped a 9 iron that accurately. 

Great result and almost makes up for the Hamilton game. Hibs and Livi up next. Avoid defeat in both games and I think we will finish no lower than 4th which hopefully be good enough for Euro football.  That said Hibs May pose a bigger threat than Aberdeen going forward or even Livi for that matter. Robinson is good at keeping a focus on each game. 

In regards to pen claim I would certainly have been looking for 1 .The   2 possibilities I think he never gave it was the  ball was already out of play when contact made or more likely as looked like Considine kicked it out and he gave a corner , he thought Gallagher got ball which he certainly never . 

22 minutes ago, wellowell said:

In regards to pen claim I would certainly have been looking for 1 .The   2 possibilities I think he never gave it was the  ball was already out of play when contact made or more likely as looked like Considine kicked it out and he gave a corner , he thought Gallagher got ball which he certainly never . 

It wouldn't matter if he thought Gallagher got the ball or not, I think I'm right in saying its the amount of force used re Carl McHugh appeal where he got the ball but also his opponent. It looked like a stonewaller to me certainly. Its also possible that he realised in hindsight, or was told by another official, that the foul immediately preceding the incident (the one allegedly committed by Grimshaw) was a dive, which it was. Minimal contact and the player goes to ground very easily.   

35 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

so, European places, 1st and 2nd champions league this season, 3rd and 4th Europa league and if the winner of the Scottish cup is already in Europe, the place goes to 5th?

is this correct?

Not as it stands.

Its 1st CL place.

Cup winner 2nd Europa qualifying round.

2nd and 3rd first Europa qualifying round 

If cup winner is league winner everything moves down one place. 

So only 4 places as it stands.

I was away all day yesterday and I don't usually comment on matches I don't attend but just wanted to say what an excellent result last night was.

Also a wee fact - we've worn our away strip 5 times this season and won 4 and drawn 1.  Must imbue the greatest super powers since our 'Dortmund' strip I reckon.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It wouldn't matter if he thought Gallagher got the ball or not, I think I'm right in saying its the amount of force used re Carl McHugh appeal where he got the ball but also his opponent. It looked like a stonewaller to me certainly. Its also possible that he realised in hindsight, or was told by another official, that the foul immediately preceding the incident (the one allegedly committed by Grimshaw) was a dive, which it was. Minimal contact and the player goes to ground very easily.   

I thought it was a clear cut penalty when I was watching the live stream, but watching it later it wasn't quite as obvious. The player had lost control of the ball and, as they all do, made the most of the collision with Gallagher (who couldn't stop sliding).

Probably still a pen under today's rules, but I've always admired Collum as one of our top referees and happy to accept his expert decision on this one :D

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was away all day yesterday and I don't usually comment on matches I don't attend but just wanted to say what an excellent result last night was.

Also a wee fact - we've worn our away strip 5 times this season and won 4 and drawn 1.  Must imbue the greatest super powers since our 'Dortmund' strip I reckon.

Maybe we should wear it at home! 5 of our 8 defeats have been at fir park. 

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Did not see the Pen shout on the MFC highlights ?

I did see the cross for the goal. Polworth splits opinion just as fans if ICT said he would but by god he is one skilful player. That cross for the goal. Perfect height and length to evade their central defenders and the goalie.  Tiger Woods in his prime could not have chipped a 9 iron that accurately. 

Great result and almost makes up for the Hamilton game. Hibs and Livi up next. Avoid defeat in both games and I think we will finish no lower than 4th which hopefully be good enough for Euro football.  That said Hibs May pose a bigger threat than Aberdeen going forward or even Livi for that matter. Robinson is good at keeping a focus on each game. 

I dont see how Polworth can split opinion he has been outstanding.He is a poor mans kevin de bruyne and I mean that as a huge compliment too him. Its some typical scottish football fans that think he cant tackle and gets pushed around easily but not only is his passing excellent his work rate is too. My player of the year so far ahead of even gallagher as if he wasnt there id worry about us getting many chances a game to score. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

so, European places, 1st and 2nd champions league this season, 3rd and 4th Europa league and if the winner of the Scottish cup is already in Europe, the place goes to 5th?

is this correct?

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Not as it stands.

Its 1st CL place.

Cup winner 2nd Europa qualifying round.

2nd and 3rd first Europa qualifying round 

If cup winner is league winner everything moves down one place. 

So only 4 places as it stands.

Yeah, the 2nd champions league spot doesn’t kick in until season after and then the whole thing changes with the European caramel wafer cup the following season.

If we win the cup and finish 3rd, 4th place will get in europa league.

9 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I dont see how Polworth can split opinion he has been outstanding.He is a poor mans kevin de bruyne and I mean that as a huge compliment too him. Its some typical scottish football fans that think he cant tackle and gets pushed around easily but not only is his passing excellent his work rate is too. My player of the year so far ahead of even gallagher as if he wasnt there id worry about us getting many chances a game to score. 

I thought when we signed polworth he would be a decent squad player but he's turned out to be a great bit of business for us,he's been outstanding.I know earlier in the season his work ethic was being criticised but there's no doubt he has worked on that side of his game,take last night for example,he put in a great shift when we didn't have the ball.one of the reasons were having the season that we are,is down to the number of assists he has,he's gone to have a crazy amount come the end of the season,his set pieces and weight of pass are a joy at times and long may it continue,hopefully there's already thoughts about offering him a new contract.

• Like 1