Game 22: Aberdeen (A) 22nd January 2020

GazzyB

I haven’t seen much evidence of  Polworths work ethic being an issue since he signed. He’s had good and bad games like anyone else, but the number of assists he has is crazy. He is also pretty strong on the ball and tracks back his fair share.

He has been overshadowed by Gallagher in the player of the season talk, which is just bad luck. I hope we are able to continue making these kind of signings to complement the English lower league reclamation projects.

36 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I haven’t seen much evidence of  Polworths work ethic being an issue since he signed. He’s had good and bad games like anyone else, but the number of assists he has is crazy. He is also pretty strong on the ball and tracks back his fair share.

He has been overshadowed by Gallagher in the player of the season talk, which is just bad luck. I hope we are able to continue making these kind of signings to complement the English lower league reclamation projects.

I think some people confuse tackling with work ethic.

Most new players take a little while to adapt to our high press tactics, but Polworth adapted pretty quickly. Like Billy Dodds said on Saturday - the tactics we use are about compressing the space available to the opposition and restricting their options on the ball; it's not just about tackling.

(And even if he didn't do any of that, I'd still have him in the team just for his ability to see a pass or hit a dead ball.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So who do we drop for Turnbull?  What formation do we favour ? 

Someone made a point about losing wingers and going 4-2-2-2.

Campbell Donnelly

Turnbull Polworth

Scott Long 

fuck knows if it would work, but Donelly proves his worth time and time again and Campbell and polworth are to good to drop.

suppose it's similar to last nights formation, 4 cm's

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe revert to a 3-5-2?

Although I suspect by the time Turnbull is fit to play for a full 90 either he or Polworth will have moved on.

I thought last night was a tremendous physical hard working effort from the whole team.  However I felt we didn’t really play any glowing football when we had the ball. We have played some nice stuff this season in flashes. If we can combine last nights hard work with some nice football then 3rd place will be a skoosh

53 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I am 100% certain Poly was signed to be Turnbull's replacenent. So he is the natural choice! BUT, how can You drop him after the Season he is having? 

My best thought would be lose the wingers and go 4-3-1-2

Carson/Gillespie

Tait, Gallagher, Mugabi, Carroll

Donnelly, Poly, Campbell

Turnbull

Long, Scott

Tait & Carroll would need to push on to provide width. 

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Robinson loves his wingers, though, and I'd be surprised to see him favour a line-up without one.

(Also, not Tait).

Normally Id agree but Tait has a better forward delivery than Grimshaw. 

The only formation with wingers is 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, in both of those it has to be Campbell & Donnelly in the centre surely? So its play neither Polworth or Turnbull in a 4-4-2, or choose one or the other in the 4-2-3-1. Certainly a headache for the gaffer

3-5-2 lets us play wingers (or 3-4-1-2 if you like). Gallagher, Hartley/Mugabi, Dunne as back 3.

But as I said earlier, I'd be surprised (but happy) if we ever end up being able to get 90mins out of them at the same time.

Gillespie

Gallagher Hartley Dunne

Polworth Campbell Donnelly  Hylton

Turnbull

Long Scott

Would be a bit harsh on Carroll right enough, and Grimshaw.

This was the best three points of the season so far and pivotal in establishing a psychology in the team that we can win tough, tough fixtures, play different styles of football to get results and even do so despite significant challenges from absent players, injuries, trash talk and rumours that seem to have beset us. And I believe Robinson when he says there is more and better to come. This result is the ideal platform for our push for a European place and a cup run. It instils belief and gives us the psychological edge over our nearest rivals. A brilliant, brilliant win. Well done to manager, staff and players.

• Like 2

Actually I think that’s where Turnbull stands out. He very rarely gets caught on the ball and always seems to have plenty of time and space. Donnelly and Polworth tend to get caught on the ball, more so the later it gets in the game. 

Edit: having said that Polworth is quite clever at cutting across players catching him up from behind and “making” them pull him down. Donnelly just uses brute force to win it back. 

Just now, texanwellfan said:

Actually I think that’s where Turnbull stands out. He very rarely gets caught on the ball and always seems to have plenty of time and space. Donnelly and Polworth tend to get caught on the ball, more so the later it gets in the game. 

That’s why he’s so good, like all top players he makes space for himself and never gets flustered.

• Like 1

I don't agree Polworth splits opinion. He's fantastic on the ball most of the time. Has a great delivery. His stats speak volumes.

Do I think he's a shitebag at times? Defo, do I think he could put in more defensive work? Also yes!

Doesn't change that he is a great player for us.

He only splits opinion in so far as I have seen a few negative comments about Polworth in here. And in a way that suggests he is a weak link. Me I think he has been a fantastic signing and if he could only have an end product in terms of goals he would be even better. His passing is as good as I have seen at Fir Park but his finishing is awful. I think back to that miss in Dingwall - I would have scored that. 

I just read an article about Brian Graham transfer to Thistle from Ross County. It states he turned down offers from Killie, St Johnstone and Motherwell ! He was such a nuisance for us I could believe it. But seems a little strange all the same.