Game 22: Aberdeen (A) 22nd January 2020

GazzyB

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

He only splits opinion in so far as I have seen a few negative comments about Polworth in here. And in a way that suggests he is a weak link. Me I think he has been a fantastic signing and if he could only have an end product in terms of goals he would be even better. His passing is as good as I have seen at Fir Park but his finishing is awful. I think back to that miss in Dingwall - I would have scored that. 

I just read an article about Brian Graham transfer to Thistle from Ross County. It states he turned down offers from Killie, St Johnstone and Motherwell ! He was such a nuisance for us I could believe it. But seems a little strange all the same. 

McCall is quoted as saying Thistle offered him a 2 and a half year deal and none of the premiership teams did. Which, at 32, is ok with me. 

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't agree Polworth splits opinion. He's fantastic on the ball most of the time. Has a great delivery. His stats speak volumes.

Do I think he's a shitebag at times? Defo, do I think he could put in more defensive work? Also yes!

Rightly or wrongly, he does split opinion Busta as he did whilst at Inverness and for the same reasons. That could be changing though, as it is in my case.  What isn't in doubt, as far as I can tell, is his talent and his ability to create chances. His free kick for the goal at the chiller on Wednesday was an absolute peach. He definitely isn't a finisher or or a winger. The divergence of opinion centres on his work ethic, defensive capability and physicality.  As far as I'm concerned he's not the best defender in the world but then again I don't mind so long as he is "adequate" in that regard.  Is he lazy?  I'd say no, but others disagree. Where I have continuing doubts is his tendency to disappear in a scrap of a game (a Hibs' fan's comment), although one moment of magic can change that. 

Its unfair, I suppose to compare him with David Turnbull, but I' m going to do it nonetheless. Leaving aside technical ability Turnbull still can turn it on whilst being closely marked and can ride tackles and shrug off boneshattering challenges whereas Polworth does struggle when games turn into urban hand to hand combat. However if Polworth can be anonymous for 89 minutes but help to create a goal or two I can live with that - Andy Ritchie anyone?  A lot depends on who is playing alongside him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Rightly or wrongly, he does split opinion Busta as he did whilst at Inverness and for the same reasons. That could be changing though, as it is in my case.  What isn't in doubt, as far as I can tell, is his talent and his ability to create chances. His free kick for the goal at the chiller on Wednesday was an absolute peach. He definitely isn't a finisher or or a winger. The divergence of opinion centres on his work ethic, defensive capability and physicality.  As far as I'm concerned he's not the best defender in the world but then again I don't mind so long as he is "adequate" in that regard.  Is he lazy?  I'd say no, but others disagree. Where I have continuing doubts is his tendency to disappear in a scrap of a game (a Hibs' fan's comment), although one moment of magic can change that. 

Its unfair, I suppose to compare him with David Turnbull, but I' m going to do it nonetheless. Leaving aside technical ability Turnbull still can turn it on whilst being closely marked and can ride tackles and shrug off boneshattering challenges whereas Polworth does struggle when games turn into urban hand to hand combat. However if Polworth can be anonymous for 89 minutes but help to create a goal or two I can live with that - Andy Ritchie anyone?  A lot depends on who is playing alongside him. 

I would agree that his pysicality is up for question and hence his defensive capability, but surely no one is still questioning his work ethic?

He is at the forefront of things in our high press and from my view works hard to get goalside and supports his defenders when he has to.

He is no David Turnbull, who should walk back into the team when he is fit, but then he didnt cost us £3.5m so comparisons arent really fair.

A midfield of Donnelly, Campbell, Turnbull, Polworth could be very exciting to watch. Add in Hylton with Long up top we could have the makings of a very dynamic forward line.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would agree that his pysicality is up for question and hence his defensive capability, but surely no one is still questioning his work ethic?

He is at the forefront of things in our high press and from my view works hard to get goalside and supports his defenders when he has to.

Couldn't agree more. I think people think that because he's not flying into tackles he's not adding anything defensively. It's obvious his strengths don't lie in tackling, however there's plenty of games this season where I've thought he must have covered every inch of grass to press the opposition. I bet his running stats are up there with anyone in the squad and that constant pressure is a huge part of our defensive game. 

• Like 1