Game 23: Hibernian (H) 25th January 2020

Andy_P

It's a better result for Motherwell than Hibs. You can be sure they have designs on that minimum 4th place finish. OF will take the top 2 spots I would be surprised if Aberdeen didn't take either 3rd or 4th. So that would leave one spot up for grabs which Motherwell are in pole position to take.

It might not be settled till the post split matches play out. 

• Like 1

Bit of a frustrating match today.  Felt we completely dominated the first half but it was summed up in James Scott, destroyed the Hibs full back but the final touch wasn't quite there.  That was sort of echoed across the team - good performances but lacking end product.  

Second half didn't think we were at the same level, we still dominated but we gave Hibs more opportunities to counter attack which were the only occasions they really looked dangerous.

MacIver did well enough but when Manzinga came on he provided the physicality that perhaps MacIver lacked.   Was only denied by a great save.

Our performances at set pieces was poor considering Hibs aren't exactly a big team.

Overall the performance was decent enough but just lacking that edge up front.

as others have said Scott was well on top v their right back and i think robinson made a mistake moving him to right. seedorf could have came on right wing and attacked stevenson on his outside. however it showed where we are as a team that hibs were so defensive. we dominated most of game apart from a 10 min spell 2nd half. 4th at least will be guaranteed soon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

as others have said Scott was well on top v their right back and i think robinson made a mistake moving him to right. seedorf could have came on right wing and attacked stevenson on his outside. however it showed where we are as a team that hibs were so defensive. we dominated most of game apart from a 10 min spell 2nd half. 4th at least will be guaranteed soon.

While there is a long way to go we should be aiming to go into the split with 4th place minimum guaranteed or very close to it. It’s unlikely that any of our competitors are going to get 15 points post split more like a max of 9 points. We are already 10 and 12 points ahead of Livingston and Hibs so it’s a reasonable target to aim for. Having said that we do have to keep our feet on the ground and just take each game one at a time, focus and apply on that game before thinking about next game. COYW!!  10 games to go  and if we can muster equal amount of points that Hibs and Livi get them we are there

• Confused 1

Totally dominated a Hibs team who clearly came for a point.

Gallagher ( who I think has been a tremendous buy) needs to stop trying to play like Virgil Van Dyke at times . There were three times today where he gave the ball away and set Hibs away on an attack. He's good but not that good.

Another poor performance from a ref at Fir Park. Omeonga should have been off for his assault on Donnelly. It was Doidge's third forearm smash before he was even booked when it should have been a straight red.

• Like 4

All we lacked today was a cutting edge up front, other than that we pretty much controlled the game and that’s as good as I’ve seen our defence in quite a while. Gallagher and Hartley strolled it at the back with a Hartley looking as good as he ever has. Hibs really went to town on Donnelly but other than a kick out for which he was booked he did well to keep his cool. Scott looked sharp, especially in the first half and to be fair everyone put a shift in. Grimshaw was wasteful at times but is probably still a better option than Tait. I must say I really enjoy the way Robinson has changed the style of football from Hartley and Dunn just lumping it forward to playing it out from the back, moving the ball from side to side with no little amount of finesse.  Only a draw but a lot of positives today, you can really start to see how the team is developing and with Turnbull back along with Long and a Hylton I think we are pretty much a match for anyone outside of the old firm.

• Like 2

I was a bit worried about today after all the effort expended at Aberdeen but well done to the players for maintaining the energy level and dominating possession. Missing 2 of our starting forwards today so perhaps not surprising we failed to score, especially against opposition whose main focus was to stop us scoring. Hoping we get back to full strength as quick as possible for our remaining games. 

Doidge was lucky not to get sent off for an elbow, and donnelly's yellow could have been a red with another ref. Omeonga also continued to foul after getting a yellow for persistent fouling. Then there was the hibs corner that wasnt. Not a textbook refereeing performance.

• Like 2

I thought that was overall a good controlling performance that just lacked that wee bit of quality / luck in the penalty box. Campbell, Donnelly and Polworth were excellent in particular. When a decent team like Hibs turn up and park the bus, you know we're a team that's feared. Our 6 forwards probably about 100 professional appearances between them so it's hardly surprising that we struggled to break a jam packed defence down and to Hibs credit, they also nullified anything we chucked into the box for Hartley and Gallagher to attack.

Disappointed with just the point but only because it was a very decent performance. 

• Like 1

Given our almost total dominance yet occasionally carelessness, I was actually quite relieved with a point: I was expecting a late breakaway from the Leithers and a totally-undeserved victory. We've maintained our distance from them and I liked our commitment to passing our way around the park.

Amazing how often Scott roasted their RB to no final payoff. Polworth and Campbell were particularly good but we were blunt up font, though McIver showed up well against their plough boys. Thought Illic was pretty ineffectual. Hibs were very cynical and seemed to single out Donnelly for The Treatment and he was unlucky to be booked for his first notable foul, given Doidge's and Omeonga's behaviour.

The Hibs' assistant manager (John Potter?) seemed to spend the whole game snarking away at the fourth official, always in his lug and standing too close in an intimidating fashion, yet it seemed that Jack Ross was booked for some transgression instead.

Nice to see Big Cedric in the POD.

Onwards and upwards...

Thought we dominated the game but very few chances, we are so lightweight up front, Scott played well but no final product,  McIver done well but he looks a long way off ready for the 1st team , Mazinga looked good offered some good pace and physicality, very unlucky not to score he is maybe due a start.

As for Seedorf God knows what SR sees in him, another appearance from the bench to contribute feck all, he is like playing with a man down.

An experienced striker brought in before the transfer window closes would be nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

If we go to Livingston without a new striker it will be very disappointing.

37 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

An experienced striker brought in before the transfer window closes would be nice.

Prepare to be disappointed. 

Overall I was quite pleased with a share of the points as neither side deserved to lose. We had far more of the play but Hibs defended extremely well although we outgunned them in midfield. Rumours of Hibs having a poor defence turned out to be way off the mark. I thought their huge centre back (Jackson?) had a great game and gobbled up everything in the air we threw at him. I've seen one or two comments referrring to their style of play as agricultural but thats paying them a disservice... they were ruthless and cynical and I have real doubts as to whether that was down to spur of the moment decisions or whether it was premeditated, which is more likely. Despite having far less of the play than us Hibs had almost as many efforts on target as us.

Our defence looked a bit shaky at times but Gallagher strolled through the game. Our midfield bossed their Hibs counterparts and that was largely down to Donnelly, who took a real beating,  and the energetic Campbell.  Polworth had a reasonable game but but got caught in possession 3 or 4 times. Illic did nothing of note and I was surprised he wasn't hooked at half time. Up front we were very lightweight and although Scott started well he faded once he was snuffed out by 2 or 3 defenders. MacIver looked promising but was out of his depth and maybe centre forward is not his role. Overall our attack was very lightweight, which was my fear going into the game.  We could have played until next week and not scored. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we got several selection decisions wrong today.

The referee was very poor and bottled a big decison not to red card the lucky Omeonga.

The point will please us more than Hibs and it was another clean sheet. I'm not convinced though that had Long played we would have fared any better.  If we seriously want to go for 3rd spot then I'm afraid we need to sign an out and out striker very soon. Not easy, I know, to find the right man this month and Robbo's record on signing strikers isn't anything to write home about.

Next Saturday will pose us another challenge and we have to come up with something different. Its a great position though to be writing about going for 3rd place...its beats a relegation struggle every time!

I think people being a tad harsh on Illic. There's clearly a player in there and I think after a few more games after his injuries we will see that. He's actually quite quick too and considering how long he's been injured for and he played part of 3 different games in 6 days he looks very fit.