Game 24: Livingston (A) 1st February 2020

Andy_P

Worst game of the season. Midfield were anonymous. Hoping and expecting much better on wednesday.

Not making excuses here, but that pitch is abominable. Yet to see a good game played on it. Plastic pitches should be nowhere near top level football IMO, but that one really takes the piss.

7 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Worst game of the season. Midfield were anonymous. Hoping and expecting much better on wednesday.

Not making excuses here, but that pitch is abominable. Yet to see a good game played on it. Plastic pitches should be nowhere near top level football IMO, but that one really takes the piss.

It’s my last visit there, the pitch is an abomination and just slows everything down with the ball sticking under players feet. We were still awful regardless but I’m not paying money again to watch so called football. I guess Livi fans put up with it because they gain so many points.

Awful performance and there would have been no complaints had Livi put 4 or 5 past the excellent Gillespie.  Worryingly, there were no lessons learned from the opening game of the season and the likes of Hylton and Illic look as unconvincing now as they did back in August.

For the last 15/20 mins we had the pleasure of watching Mugabi upfront but at least we can go home happy knowing the club banked a £1m over the weekend, that’s the priority afterall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Awful performance and there would have been no complaints had Livi put 4 or 5 past the excellent Gillespie.  Worryingly, there were no lessons learned from the opening game of the season and the likes of Hylton and Illic look as unconvincing now as they did back in August.

For the last 15/20 mins we had the pleasure of watching Mugabi upfront but at least we can go home happy knowing the club banked a £1m over the weekend, that’s the priority afterall. 

It’s worth remembering that it’s a central striker we need and Scott was playing out wide.

4 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I can't imagine the terrible pitch and anti football is doing much for their attendances. Did we out-attend them again?

I thought our numbers were down next to the start of the season so not quite.

14 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s my last visit there, the pitch is an abomination and just slows everything down with the ball sticking under players feet. We were still awful regardless but I’m not paying money again to watch so called football. I guess Livi fans put up with it because they gain so many points.

"Plastic Pitches" are absolutely fine if looked after properly. The biggest issue with them is that they expose the average Scottish players complete lack of basic footballing ability

What I dont understand is how teams like Livvy are allowed to get away with their "upkeep" of said pitch. All 3G Pitches are tested at least once a season to make sure the ball rolls true and bounces correctly. But having extra infill and keeping parts dry to make it sticky, or overwatering to make it slick means bounce and roll is anything but true. How is this not picked up?

11 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Yip. And expect more of the same when the club accept Celtic's £1m bid for Turnbull in the summer because of his "dodgy knee" . Its all about the money, football a distant second

33 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Yip. And expect more of the same when the club accept Celtic's £1m bid for Turnbull in the summer because of his "dodgy knee" . Its all about the money, football a distant second

You mean the same club that held Celtic all the way until 3million last year?

I also saw you criticise the club on Facebook for "accepting the first bid that came along" for Scott. Its been publicly stated that we rejected two bids and got ourselves almost double the money and a chunky sell on clause. 

Crazy that people think James Scott with his one goal every 9 games record would've made the difference today. 

• Like 1

Not at the game today....fortunately. Ok we can all have a one off bad day at the office but this seemed to a continuation of the last 70 minutes of the Accies game a month ago. By all accounts only Gillespie emerged with any credit, though  I presume Long also cannot really be blamed due to his lack of support.  More questions need to be asked of our midfield as they were again flattened and dominated  by a team below us in the league. I don't know what questions need to be asked though.

Curious as to why an off form Tait was preferred to Grimshaw today although thats a relatively minor issue in the great scheme of things.

Should we rest Allan Campbell on Wednesday night?

As soon as I saw the lineup I was concerned. 

The sooner we understand that we shouldnt be trying to play football on these pitches, the sooner we might get results.

Livvy get success on it playing a certain way. Time we wised up and do what they do. 

It might be ugly at times but its winning football and you have to play whats in front of you.

Disappointing result but back on grass Wednesday night we have a chance to show we can still play football.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

As soon as I saw the lineup I was concerned. 

The sooner we understand that we shouldnt be trying to play football on these pitches, the sooner we might get results.

Livvy get success on it playing a certain way. Time we wised up and do what they do. 

It might be ugly at times but its winning football and you have to play whats in front of you.

Disappointing result but back on grass Wednesday night we have a chance to show we can still play football.

As much as Robinson used to get stick for us playing that way I agree that with Livi on their pitch it’s the way to go, unfortunately we don’t have big Ryan to knock seven bells out of teams these days and Hartley no longer likes a big punt.

Hartley  played it out and down the side constant first half. Towards Hylton and carol. So much so that iliac came over to try and get on the ball at some point. 
We were too slow and easy to defend esp when they knew it was coming down the left. Hartley doing my head in but midfield must take blame too. Where were they dropping back to get the ball and drive on ?  Alan Campbell’s boots must have been spotless at the end. 
So Hylton hooked to try and balance the team.  This caused further confusion and we could t string a pass together never mind compete for the  ball. Livi we’re moving and working we were hit n hope whilst playing musical statues. 
we then go really old school and put a center half as centre forward ffs. 
yes Robbo you’re right when you say you need to take the blame as well as the players and I’ve yet to hear a sorry to the fans that went and deserved effort at least. To be out played by skill I’d fine but never outfought with effort. That’s not on. 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Crazy that people think James Scott with his one goal every 9 games record would've made the difference today. 

Scott was our out ball.  He beat players, created spaces for others and brought us forward as a team.

Wasn't there today so can't comment on today's performance but I think it's going to be a problem for us, if you'll excuse the pun, going forward.

29 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Really? The first 20 minutes excepted, I thought that was the worst performance from a Well team for several years. If so thats scary.

I wasn't at the Accies game but today was by far the worst I've seen us play this season. Middle to front was worse than the worst of the McGhee/hoofball Robinson eras and the defence were spared mainly by Gillespie.

Not saying Scott would have made any difference but the timing of the transfer was all wrong for us really the board has made a terrible decision for a club with no debt being forced to sell a talent mid season is not right ? So after a great start it looks like th e second half of the season might just be a let down I hope Mr Robinson has another plan  but won't hold my breathe for that 

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Really? The first 20 minutes excepted, I thought that was the worst performance from a Well team for several years. If so thats scary.

Yes - yesterday was worse than accies. Way worse. Our only corner and only shot came in the last couple mins. Corner came to nothing and shot was a daisy cutter from about 25 yards - it did actually trouble the keeper in the end though.

A bad day at the office but let's face it livi are a horrible team to play, on an even worse pitch. Time to make up for it on wednesday.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GazzyB said:

You mean the same club that held Celtic all the way until 3million last year?

I also saw you criticise the club on Facebook for "accepting the first bid that came along" for Scott. Its been publicly stated that we rejected two bids and got ourselves almost double the money and a chunky sell on clause. 

Hull bid £750k apparently, we knocked it back and accepted £1m with a sell on, hardly double. The guy is a Scotland U21 regular, still had 2.5 years of his contract and is 19 and improving the more games he gets, and his scoring record? Isnt that bad considering he isnt a centre forward! He plays wide,is our out ball,  has scored 4 or 5 goals this season and has set a few up too, considering we are hardly a free scoring team Id say thats ok.

My main gripe was that there is no way on earth we would have got less than £1m for him in the Summer! So selling him now is essentially accepting the first half decent bid. We are 3rd in the table, have a good cup draw and a fantastic chance of getting Europe. But that could all be down the shitter now. If the club had actually bothered to sign the striker/s that everyone but Steve Robinson can see we desperately needed, then selling Scott would have been dissappointing, but understandable to an extent. Instead we cash in on a quick buck and bring in a 24/25yo panic loan full back/winger who got dumped by Wycombe Wanderers 3 weeks ago. 

Our "Striking" options left are Long, Manzinga, Seedorf, McIver, Ilic & Hylton. Long cannot play up front on his own, but will work hard nontheless. Hylton looks decent in flashes, Seedorf, as much as I want him to succeed, is utter shite and would struggle in the Highland League! Ilic & Manzinga have the jury well out, and McIver looks handy but very raw. We desperately needed at least 1 central striker, we got Ndjoli who is a winger and is apparently not even good enough to make yesterdays bench, and a last minute panic loan Lw/Lb. THATS why I said the Scott deal was Horseshit!

• Like 5