Game 25: Celtic (H) 5th February 2020

Andy_P

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The most noticeable thing about our team this season (and to a certain extent last season) is that when we are bad, every single player is bad - nobody seems capable of pulling us out of the nosedive during the 90 minutes. Livi being the most recent example, but Accies and the Hearts cup tie are other examples.

We have bounced back each time, so hopefully that will continue.

Gillespie dislikes this. 

22 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He was terrible in the Hearts cup tie I mentioned.

And he was MotM against Livi when everyone else was awful.

I definitely don't disagree with you, I just didn't want to miss up a chance to come at the king of pedantry :D

56 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

And he was MotM against Livi when everyone else was awful.

I definitely don't disagree with you, I just didn't want to miss up a chance to come at the king of pedantry :D

It's a fair cop.

(Also, "King of Pedantry" for a formal title :P)

• Haha 1

Gillespie

Grimmy - Gallagher - Mugabe - Hartley - Carroll

Donnelly - Campbell - O’Hara

Polworth

Long

I suspect we’ll start off compact at the back, and look to flood the middle of the park. Long needs to start, only proven goal scorer this season and his pace should give their big dopy centre halves some problems if we play the channels. I reckon our width will come from the wing backs, I can’t see us playing a flat back five with two wide midfielders ahead of them, so I’d personally expect to see Grimmy and Carroll push on when the time is right. I’d also like to see Polworth in a bit more of a free role, although it’s more likely that Donnelly will sit in front of the defence and the other three will be the bank. Keep it tight for the first hour, then bring on Manzinga/Hylton/Aarons/Ndjoli or fire Mugabe up top again! 

Undoubtedly Long is the best striker we have but his style is totally unsuited to a ploughing a lone furrow up front. He can't compete physically with hulking central defenders nor can he hold the ball up. On top of that its hard for him to make an impact if he receives no service like Saturday past.  Even the best strikers in the world struggle to score if they don't have the ball. he needs another striker to play alongside him to bring him into the game.  I'm not sure who should play alongside him tomorrow night as I've not seen much of our 2 loanees or indeed of Manzinga, but someone neeeds to give him close support.

Figure out their weakness and try to exploit that. So is that  have a go at them ? Through the middle or on the wings? or is it counter attack with ball behind the defense for Long to run onto? Or do we mix it up for periods? I liked it first game of season but we can’t sustain the hi press for the whole game so maybe start of each half for 20 mins?   I don’t know enough about how they play and what their players are like to propose the best way to play them but if we decide to sit in the whole game and give them too much respect odds are we will get beat anyway so why do that. 

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

Mugabi is pish and we don't defend any better when he's on.

Just play the usual formation and have a go. Maybe have O'Hara in for Ilic. 

Not a huge fan but he done pretty well at Ibrox, think it was in a 3.

He seems to struggle when he has time to actually pass the ball which is slightly problematic when you are a footballer.

At this rate he will be up front anyway so no chance of him at centre back

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Not a huge fan but he done pretty well at Ibrox, think it was in a 3.

He seems to struggle when he has time to actually pass the ball which is slightly problematic when you are a footballer.

At this rate he will be up front anyway so no chance of him at centre back

Apart from the goal he sold from the corner getting done by Helander. 

He can look decent at times but he always seems to have a mistake in him.

3 hours ago, alanos said:

3 or 4 nil Celtic for me.

:censored:

I think the worry is that they were absolutely stinking against Accies for 80 mins on Sunday despite playing against ten men for a significant period, I can't see them repeating this. Any points are a bonus of course hopefully we get served up something much better than our performance against Livi.

5 hours ago, 1991 said:

Every time we have played a back 3 it's a disaster. Accies being an example. I think Mugabi against Celtic would be a nightmare.  Let's go for it and try and attack them they dont like teams having a go

I think we can get away with it if we prepare for it and do it from the start, it’s changing it mid game that scares me

Due something against this mob,  think I am right in saying 4 years or so without a win against them is the longest we have went since I started going to games in the early 1990s

If we can keep them quiet and limit their chances then hopefully can get at least a draw.

In our last 10 matches we've only won once when the opposition scored.

Celtic have scored in 23 out 24 league matches this term.

If you were a betting man you'd go 3-0 Celtic but I've been a Motherwell supporter long enough to know that often our results are  counter intuitive.  Just the fact that we were so bad against Livingston makes me think we might get something out of this tonight.