Game 25: Celtic (H) 5th February 2020

Andy_P

We needed to capitalize on a decent first half, where we had plenty of attacking play but created next to nothing. Once again we come out a defeated team in the second half, and I can’t really think of a positive.

Aarons looked half decent, but the ball isn’t sticking up front and it’s killing us.

has Grimshaw ever crossed a ball? 

We gave it a right good go in the first half but inevitably got ripped apart. I questioned Robinson’s approach pre-match and while I admire his bravery to try and attack Celtic, we simply don’t have the quality to go toe to toe at present.

Credit to Celtic, that’s the best I’ve seen McGregor in a long time and Edouard is just on an entirely different level. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, texanwellfan said:

We just give the ball away to easily and struggle get a hold of the ball up front and keep it. The sad thing is the other teams around us are not really any better.  2 games with zero goals scored. 

Is it not 3 consecutive blank sheets now? Sounds like Livingston last Saturday. I was a bit surprised by the line up - 2 wingers but only 2 striker.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

We needed to capitalize on a decent first half, where we had plenty of attacking play but created next to nothing. Once again we come out a defeated team in the second half, and I can’t really think of a positive.

Aarons looked half decent, but the ball isn’t sticking up front and it’s killing us.

has Grimshaw ever crossed a ball? 

Agree Aaron’s looks like a good addition but perhaps not match fit. Didn’t see him second half till he got subbed. But short term should be good for at least a half. 

Just followed it on the BBC. Not unexpected in terms of the result, but an improved performance on Livingston? At least the chasing pack did not gain on us with the three behind us all losing. We do need to find a way to score a goal or two if we are to retain our position over the remaining thirteen games of the league season.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is it not 3 consecutive blank sheets now? Sounds like Livingston last Saturday. I was a bit surprised by the line up - 2 wingers but only 2 striker.

We sell our ONLY attacking outball without replacing him and cant hold the ball up front?  Im shocked. 

Prepare for Motherwell Nil on saturday as well cause we arent scoring anytime soon. Just hope St Midden are pish and we can sneak a 0-0

Decent first half which was a vast improvement on the Livi game, individual mistakes costly. Celtic took control second half with their superior quality from back to front. Robinson went for it which was probably not the right decision on the night but other results all went in our favour. Aarons looks like a decent signing who when up to speed will contribute. We have not become a poor side overnight and will bounce back.

• Like 1

Can't complain too much about attitude and application.   You could argue we were the better team in the first half and we definitely had more good opportunities than the opposition to score.  But when you don't take your chances against a team like Celtic.....also a bit worrying that that is 3 league games without a goal and we've only scored more than 1 once in the last 8.  For me Celtic are pretty poor at the back and you aren't going to get much better chances than we did tonight.

Thought Rolando Aarons showed up well even though he looks well off it in terms of fitness but you could have said that about a few tonight who looked gassed after 60 minutes.

The lack of pace in our midfield really got shown up tonight, Celtic players were breezing past us on the counter and the inability to track overlaps and runners showed we have a lot to do on our off the ball work.

Overall, decent 1st half,  blown away 2nd half.  We gave it a go in the first half and considering we probably don't have a single player that would make the Celtic XI you have to be happy enough that we competed.  

We need to start taking chances though, if we'd had a 25% conversion rate in the first half we probably wouldn't have lost so heavily in the second but its tough when you go 0-2 down.

We will win Saturday been a hard last 4 games but if you told me before they began we would still be 3 points clear in 3rd I would have took it . Saturday is a 1 off and I do think we will rise to the occasion so let’s be positive if we win will be in quarters of cup and 3 rd in league . Tonight we were miles better than Saturday but Celtic,s class showed so let’s just dust ourselves down and move on to Saturday . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry but I am not accepting that 2nd half,  I know Celtic are class above but we made it so easy for them. There are 2 many players in that team that seem to be guaranteed a game.  Our 2 full backs are so negative and always check back, Hartley's distribution brutal. Polworth long overdue needing dropped and Hylton is just as bad as seedorf.  Not sure where we go from here as we seem to be in a rut. Cup game and next 3 league games huge.  Ps. Have to hold hand up and say eduoard is different class

Just now, Ya Bezzer! said:

The lack of pace in our midfield really got shown up tonight, Celtic players were breezing past us.......

Worryingly, that's also true of the Livingston and Accies games. In the last few games our midfield has been found out.  Central midfielders are just not doing it for a variety of reasons. Allan Campbell looks burnt out as I've said before. We're toothless up front, as we all know, Scott or not.

That type of performance seems to be the norm against celtic the now,well in the game,miss one or two chances then end up losing heavily.its starting to become painful watching long play up top on his own,i like him but he just can't do that role,he's the type that would be a good foil for a striker that could hold the ball up and he could make a nuisance of himself and use his pace too go in behind,seeing him battling with centre halfs is just a waste of time.i really don't know what the answer is as none of the other forwards that we have are in the mould of someone that could hold it up and bring a bit of physicality to the front line.there was some positives to take away from the first half but at the end of the day,its still a heavy defeat,let's hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect for Saturday.

36 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Next three league games St johnston, St Mirren and Accies. We need to start scoring and winning and pick up at least 6 out of those 9 points.  9 out of 9 should be the target but I’ll be ok with 6 or 7 

How do we take 6 or 7 points when we literally cannot score goals at 1 end, and struggle badly to keep them out at the other? Ok St Johnstone, St Midden & Accies arent great so we might not lose many or any goals, but we could not score with a blank cheque. 

This isnt a knee jerk to tonite, we got pumped off a good team and Edouard is superb. But genuinely, apart from hoping to fluke a set piece goal, how do we score or win games just now? Long is lost in a front three, Hylton unfortunately looks to be struggling and Seedorf is a man down. McIver & Manzinga are projects but far too raw just now and Ndjoli has weirdly dissappeared. Without Scott or someone else to hold a ball, every single forward pass is getting stopped and countered.

We are in a poor run of form, but we dont have anything or anybody we can change to improve things, we just need to keep doing the same thing and hope we ride it out. We have also struggled to score most of the season, but have done well defensively but even that the last 3 games  has been woeful. This is a big few weeks for Robbo. And thank god for Gillespie or our goal difference would be about 10 goals worse

And has been mentioned, enough of the pleading poverty horseshit we are debt free and have raked in a fortune this season in transfer fees including a million quid a week ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Polworth had the chance to play Long into the box in the first half and chose to sky it over the bar, second half Long cut across the box got crowded out and put a shot out for a throw in when there were others in the box to pass to, wrong choices too often.