Game 25: Celtic (H) 5th February 2020

Andy_P

was shocked by robinson being as bold. we went man for man but their class told in end. their midfield too strong and edoard class. we didnt deserve a 4 0 but thats football im a lot less bothered than i was after saturday past. some of our fans are murder.whining about everything. not one of our players would get in their team or maybe even squad but some of our fans want to get rid of our players coz they dint perform against celtic. our forwards have looked poor last few games but i dont think robinson helps that by continuosly swapping front 3. they cant be knackered all the time. im not having polworth crap as he is most creative player in team by a mile. grimshaw criticism again confuses me.  Saturday is huge to get feelgood feeling back for season run in i feel.  

• Thanks 2

Could be wrong, but we have only failed to score in 7 games out of 25. We are also the fourth top goalscorers in the league. So after a couple of defeats the sky has fallen in and we are rank rotten. Yes we could be better, but we also could be in hearts position. Lets just cut out the over the top reactions every time we dont win and chill. 

• Like 9

Tough one to take tonight....Positives are that the 1st half was a massive improvement on Sat, Arrons looked lively and Long had a far better game.  

Have to say that heading to FP I thought that going toe to toe with Celtic and playing 3 forwards was always going to end in tears and so it proved. A lot wrong in the 2nd half but need to bear in mind the quality we were up against, particularly Edouard who was outstanding.

Other results couldn’t really have been better for us, which should hopefully give us a bit of encouragement going forward.

On to Saturday and what now feels like a pivotal game in the season, a cup quarter final to look forward to and 3rd in the league come Sat evening will see us feeling good about ourselves again. Lose and it’ll be 3 defeats in a row 4 without a win and a real feeling of panic......

We are lacking quality off the bench just now. Maciver has potential, but Mazinga and Seedorf in particular are very poor. I've no idea what's happened with Ndjoli but it's not looking good if he's playing for the reserves and not even making the bench.

Not time to panic yet but we could very much do with a league win ASAP. Anything less than 4th would be bitterly disappointing given our current situation. 

Thought we played very well first half. I must confess at thinking it was a bold team selection that could come back to haunt us, but we were able to go pretty much toe to toe with a very good Celtic team and only some poor finishing stopped us going in at half time with a deserved share of the spoils.

However, everything we did well first half we seened to stop doing second half. The second goal is really poor and after that we seemed to lose our way.

The first substition is a shocker. If Aarons was cramping fair enough, but to think Seedorf was the answer is quite incredible. We basically gave them the game at that point. Anyone of the other subs would have been a better alternative.

It was no surprise at that point it all went south.

For all the result was disappointing, our fans need to take a reality check. The first half performance had lots to commend it and those giving Polworth a hard time might want to go back and look at his contribution first half. The crazy shot from 25 yards apart he was involved in nearly everything good we did. Always available, always looking to drive forward and play the forward pass. He worked incredibly hard for the team. Yes he faded badly second half and his delivery was terrible, but he wasnt alone. Fast becoming the boo boys new favourite. 

We have had some tough fixtures, but Livvy game apart, we have coped with them well. Plenty to be positive about going into Saturday.

Toughen up princesses!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ropy said:

Second game in a row that Hylton has failed to turn up/ perform/ be effective, got in a position to sclaff it though

Yep, totally agree and with a name like hylton I still have reservations about him....and pulls out every challenge so no chance of getting a booking!!.....ah'll get me coat

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thought we played very well first half. I must confess at thinking it was a bold team selection that could come back to haunt us, but we were able to go pretty much toe to toe with a very good Celtic team and only some poor finishing stopped us going in at half time with a deserved share of the spoils.

However, everything we did well first half we seened to stop doing second half. The second goal is really poor and after that we seemed to lose our way.

The first substition is a shocker. If Aarons was cramping fair enough, but to think Seedorf was the answer is quite incredible. We basically gave them the game at that point. Anyone of the other subs would have been a better alternative.

It was no surprise at that point it all went south.

For all the result was disappointing, our fans need to take a reality check. The first half performance had lots to commend it and those giving Polworth a hard time might want to go back and look at his contribution first half. The crazy shot from 25 yards apart he was involved in nearly everything good we did. Always available, always looking to drive forward and play the forward pass. He worked incredibly hard for the team. Yes he faded badly second half and his delivery was terrible, but he wasnt alone. Fast becoming the boo boys new favourite. 

We have had some tough fixtures, but Livvy game apart, we have coped with them well. Plenty to be positive about going into Saturday.

Toughen up princesses!

The first goal was just as bad as the second, Campbell sold the Jerseys . Two goals that would shame a pub team. Once you give Celtic a two goal start they can just start taking you apart. Same old story against the OF we match them for long periods shoot ourselves in the foot end up getting horsed. Campbell , Donnelly and Polworth all simply awful tonight. We cant afford a midfield playing as weak as they did tonight and expect anything against a time like Celtic.

10 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

And I get fed up with the 'we have no money' response. Robbo asked about Watt and says depends if we have money. Ehhhhhh no debt and just got over a million for Scott so dont insult our intelligence.  Ps. Aye I am in a bad mood!! Heh he

You do realise that it's not a case of Hull City sending us the cash via PayPal family & friends, right? We'll likely get that money at some point over the next few months, or even in installments.

7 minutes ago, David said:

You do realise that it's not a case of Hull City sending us the cash via PayPal family & friends, right? We'll likely get that money at some point over the next few months, or even in installments.

I dont imagine its a case of here take him and give us the cash in a few months when you have it either

The correct response to the manager saying we have no money is surely stop spending it on wingers to sit in the stand ?

A game of two halves indeed. I was confident going in at the break then we fell apart when they turned the screw. 

Grimshaw, Carrol and Polworth heads and confidence completely went after the second goal. That worries me more than poor play to be honest. The management team need to work on that between now and Saturday 

Next 5 league games against the bottom 5 clubs. We really should be taking most of those points and extending the 3 pts gap we have over Aberdeen. 

Things I'd like:

- DT return would be nice (hopefully the rumoured 3 weeks and not after the split). He really could turn a game or score a goal where others cant. 

- The manager to stop basically saying the front 3 are shite and cant score. We know...maybe build them up a bit

- 15 pts from 5 games. Cheers.

Some of the reactions here are way over the top.

My only fear is that we looked decent in the first half because Celtic don't sit in. Others like Livi, St Mirren, St Johnstone will sit and make it difficult for us to break down. Celtic can take that risk of giving away a few chances due their massively better attcking options than most.

2 hours ago, David said:

Yes,  I do tell bad jokes but I am not daft.    I just find it frustrating that we are always pleading poverty to the media.   I do get that if you have cash then clubs try to up their price but we just seem to go on about it more than others.

And if truth be told, I was just in a bad mood after that 2nd half performance and our wide players apart from Rolando who looks a good addition.

COYW!!!!

3 hours ago, David said:

Tbf I reckon we'll be paying Watt in installments too rather than a lump sum.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Some of the reactions here are way over the top.

My only fear is that we looked decent in the first half because Celtic don't sit in. Others like Livi, St Mirren, St Johnstone will sit and make it difficult for us to break down. Celtic can take that risk of giving away a few chances due their massively better attcking options than most.

Seems to be the way on here, a couple of defeats and the team is suddenly rank rotten, seems to happen every three months or so. The team have not suddenly become a disaster any more than they have become world beaters. We are running one of the lower budgets in the league and signing lower league players which we try to develop along with our youngsters. By its very nature that’s going to lead to inconsistent performances, the questions marks should be towards teams like Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen who are all below us in the table with vastly larger playing budgets. We tend to be pretty consistent against teams at our budget level winning far more than we lose and while we carry on doing that we will be just fine. Let’s go to St Mirren on Saturday and cheer the guys on to a win which we are more than capable of. On a side note I think we may well have signed  an absolute cracker in Aarons, against lesser teams he could be very impressive.

• Thanks 1

We competed well first half, just lacking a bit of final third composure. Though Aarons looked tidy and could be a very good addition. 

Once they got their second game was done, the more stretched it became the worse we looked.

Still theres 8 games to the split and 13 league games in total left. We need 6 wins to pretty much guarantee top 4. 7 wins should see is finish third ( I don't see Aberdeen winning 9).

Got some ties against struggling sides coming up and we need to pick up wins there. We are favourites to win about 5 of the pre split games, so we're in a good place still. Just need to get a result on Saturday and follow on from there.

Whilst we should obviously be focusing on ourselves, we were unbelievably fortunate St Johnstone did us a turn last night. We have four winnable games now while Aberdeen have a visit from Celtic plus another potential banana skin.p Hopefully we kick on and put some light between us and them.

Also watching the highlights and while we were unlucky the break of the ball went against us for the first goal, the effort of getting back in from Donnelly, Grimshaw and Hylton was awful. Hopefully Robbo demands better from them. 

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Whilst we should obviously be focusing on ourselves, we were unbelievably fortunate St Johnstone did us a turn last night. We have four winnable games now while Aberdeen have a visit from Celtic plus another potential banana skin.p Hopefully we kick on and put some light between us and them.

Also watching the highlights and while we were unlucky the break of the ball went against us for the first goal, the effort of getting back in from Donnelly, Grimshaw and Hylton was awful. Hopefully Robbo demands better from them. 

I'd count it as 5 winnable games in a row now (the bottom 5 teams). Then we play Aberdeen at home on a Friday night. That could be a huge game.