Game 25: Celtic (H) 5th February 2020

Andy_P

I’m expecting a defeat by two or three goals but also expect a far better performance, in fairness it could not be any worse. Would like to see the two new guys given a run out at some stage but it’s a bit of a baptism of fire. Just hope we don’t get completely battered with the cup game next Saturday.

25 minutes ago, Kmac said:

—————Gillespie 

grimshaw—-mugabe—-Hartley—Gallagher—-carroll

Aarons—--Campbell—-Donnelly ——Ndjoli

———————Long 

Subs:

carson 

tait 

maguire 

illic

hylton 

polworth

seedorf 

maciver

I’m expecting two changes at most with illic dropped for Aaron’s and Grimshaw back in for Tait.

21 minutes ago, Kmac said:

—————Gillespie 

grimshaw—-mugabe—-Hartley—Gallagher—-carroll

Aarons—--Campbell—-Donnelly ——Ndjoli

———————Long 

Subs:

carson 

tait 

maguire 

illic

hylton 

polworth

seedorf 

maciver

Is O’Hara injured ? Unlikely to start with Aaron’s and Ndjoli I would think. Maybe one or the other and hopefully both get some time ahead of Saturday.

I would go 4-5-1 even though we rarely play that formation. Would rather have someone extra in midfield than defence.

Same in defence but expect Polworth and possibly OHara to start with Hylton, Donnelly and Campbell with Long up front on his own. 

Anything less than a 3 goal+ defeat would probably do. Depends what Celtic turn up. The one v St Johnstone last midweek and it could get messy or the one yesterday v Hamilton would be better. Either way we need luck and Gillespie playing to his usual high standards. 

If we go with one striker up front then Long must drop out. He cannot play with his back to goal and doesn't have the physicality to play as a lone striker. Its just not his game. The only options would be to play the untried Ndjoli or the raw Manzinga in that role.  Personally I'd go with 2 strikers up front. I think we'll try to pack the midfield and therefore we could see O'Hara come back in. But I'm not the manager. 

• Haha 1

Celtic have been playing with Griffiths and Edouard up top so wouldnt be surprised to see Mugabe come in for this one. We are gonna need extra numbers in defence and midfield to try and cut out the space these guys create and try hit them on the break. Keep it really tight and play them on the counter like Ross County did at Celtic Park would be my preference. 

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Mugabe Hartley Carroll

OHara Campbell Donnelly Polworth

Mazinga or Ndjoli

Could possibly swap one of Campbell or OHara for Aarons as an out ball. 

Celtic have lost twice in this domestic campaign....both to 4-3-3 formations.

For me the whole idea of flooding the defence and midfield against teams like Celtic hardly ever works.

You are better just going for it like we did in the first game at Fir Park.  If we'd taken our chances in that match and cut out poor individual mistakes we could easily got a result.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Celtic have been playing with Griffiths and Edouard up top so wouldnt be surprised to see Mugabe come in for this one. We are gonna need extra numbers in defence and midfield to try and cut out the space these guys create and try hit them on the break. Keep it really tight and play them on the counter like Ross County did at Celtic Park would be my preference.

That was the one recent match that Celtic didn't play 3-5-2.  They played four at the back that day. 

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Celtic have lost twice in this domestic campaign....both to 4-3-3 formations.

For me the whole idea of flooding the defence and midfield against teams like Celtic hardly ever works.

You are better just going for it like we did in the first game at Fir Park.  If we'd taken our chances in that match and cut out poor individual mistakes we could easily got a result.

The big difference when you play Celtic is that they are better at taking advantage of your mistakes. If you make 2 slip-ups in defence, they are likely to score 2 goals.

Likewise, up front, clear chances will be limited and we need to be clinical.

I completely agree we better off going for it than sitting in.

going into the games against Livingston and Celtic I was anticipating us coming out with 1 point from 6 so if we can somehow manage a draw on Wednesday night then we are no worse off than expected and even if we get beat I’d say We’ve only “squandered” the 1 point. I think the big outcry is because we were so bad people are worried we have lost it.  Remember that most of us on here agree we will have inconsistent form throughout the season, Livingston was one of them.............. I hope ! 

The most noticeable thing about our team this season (and to a certain extent last season) is that when we are bad, every single player is bad - nobody seems capable of pulling us out of the nosedive during the 90 minutes. Livi being the most recent example, but Accies and the Hearts cup tie are other examples.

We have bounced back each time, so hopefully that will continue.

I just don’t buy the argument that our form is going to suddenly drop off a cliff, can’t see why it would just because of a very bad performance against Livi.  It’s the same group of players that have done so well this season without a target man so what’s changed ?

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The most noticeable thing about our team this season (and to a certain extent last season) is that when we are bad, every single player is bad - nobody seems capable of pulling us out of the nosedive during the 90 minutes. Livi being the most recent example, but Accies and the Hearts cup tie are other examples.

We have bounced back each time, so hopefully that will continue.

Aye it's definitely noticeable that all our elder statesmen are in goals or the back four and everyone else middle to front is currently at the highest level they've ever played at. Not a slight on any individuals as it's a strategy that's working so far for the most part but games like that we could have done with a Pearson or Lasley in midfield.