Game 26: St Johnstone (A) 12th February 2020

Andy_P

Like their eclesiastically named counterparts in Paisley, the tractormen have strengthened and improved somewhat compared to the first part of the season and this will be a very tricky game. Our recent record in Perth is nothing to shout about. As always they'll be organised, robust and streetwise and we'll have our work cut out to take anything from the game.  We've stuttered somewhat since the Accies defeat and we'll need to turn up to get a result. 

With a busy programme in the next week or two Robbo may play a "long" game and he does have some options to rotate and keep the squad fresh so I'd like to see Tony Watt, Ndjoli and Ronaldo get some game time. Tait might come back in as might Campbell. If we're a few goals up or down late on then lets introduce  any unused subs like Mugabi and MacIver.

A win please but I'd settle for a draw.

Real signs of a St Johnstone revivial.  Since we beat them last time out they have only lost 2 out of 10 matches and of course have progressed through the cup.

Their results show a similar kind of pattern to ours - they win when they keep a clean sheet but struggle for three points when they concede.  They have also been shifting around between a 4 at the back and a 3 at the back so I don't think it's entirely clear what formation they will play but they have gone 3 at the back for the last 3 home matches although they went 4 at the back against Aberdeen in the last match and won.

Another draw wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility.

Always a hard place to go, particularly mid winter on a Wednesday night. Will be a very small crowd in inclement weather. Happily take a point right now. 

Agree we should rotate a little with so many games coming up. Cup game has to be the priority as its the only trophy we have any chance of winning and the extra finance generated by a run to Hampden is very important to the club.

Whether Robbo rests players midweek or on Saturday or both will be interesting to see.

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Is the game on Motherwell tv ? Had a look earlier today and didn’t show any upcoming games 

The games from Perth are usually streamed, so I hope so. I don't see it listed on St Johnstone TV either, but sometimes they don't get posted until 24hrs before.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Hamilton are brutal,i still can't believe we gave them 3 points recently.

That annoys me as well,  along with the Livingston game 6 points missed, we had the chance to be well clear of Aberdeen as they have been brutal since Christmas but  we never took it, still we can be back 3rd tomorrow  night, but it's a lot tighter than it should have been