Game 27: St Mirren (H) 15th February 2020

Kmcalpin

Going to be a tough game with the way we are playing but don’t see any reason why we can’t take 3 points here. 

I would possibly change the system for Saturday, I don’t feel the 4-3-3 has worked for the past few weeks. I’d be tempted to go 3-5-2 and have Watt alongside Long. I think Long is crying out for someone to play along side him as his hold up play is decent but there’s never anyone near him. 

• Like 2

Motherwell 0 

St Mirren However many goals we give them

It depends on how you look at our season. Does Robinson getting us to where we are in the league without a striker/winger worthy of the name deserve credit? Or does he deserve criticism for leaving us with such a lack of options? I tend to give him credit and assume that none of our forwards were his first choice. I have not seen enough of Aarons or Watt but the rest of them are not good enough...

I wonder if we’ll try to get clever with things/overthink it and mix it up since we’re playing them twice. 

It’s hard to see what worthwhile changes we could make. Our forward options have depth in numbers but not quality, and other than Polworth in for one of the midfielders there isn’t much we can do there. Maybe bring him in for Donnelly?

going 3-5-2 would  mean having Mugabi on the park, so I’d probably steer clear of that option.

If Carroll is suspended then it will be Tait in at LB and a realistic chance for him to claim a regular place.

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Where did you find this information? No reference to it on the SFA's website.

I'm mixed up because I'm looking at Soccerbase and they have his card on the first day as a yellow but it was upgraded to a red. 

So last night was his 6th yellow and he'll miss the Ross County game along with Donnelly. 

For as shite as we've been since the hamilton game,there's still a lot to be positive about,win on saturday and theres a decent chance come the end of the weekend that we will be back into 3rd and then have a home cup tie 3 days later.now is definitely the time for calm heads as these 2 games will have a big impact on how the rest of our season will pan out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevie_mfc said:

Going to be a tough game with the way we are playing but don’t see any reason why we can’t take 3 points here. 

I would possibly change the system for Saturday, I don’t feel the 4-3-3 has worked for the past few weeks. I’d be tempted to go 3-5-2 and have Watt alongside Long. I think Long is crying out for someone to play along side him as his hold up play is decent but there’s never anyone near him. 

I haven’t been paying full attention but has Robinson been subbing Watt in for long? I’d agree with your point that we would get more out of it if we played them together up top. Sounds like 3-5-2 is not popular or we don’t have the right people available to play but it would allow us to get Long and Watt playing as the front 2 and have 2 wide players Aaron’s and Hylton(or another) then Campbell, Polworth and either Donnelly or O’Hara. Maybe we push Grimshaw into wide right midfield 5 instead of Hylton ? But tell him he needs to cross the damn ball when he gets up there.   Whatever Robinson does the players on the Park need to step up , perform and come away with 3 points and give us some confidence back. 

Given that we have only just played St Mirren and we play them another twice within 4 days, I dont think mixing it up a little would be the worst idea. Whether to do it on Saturday or leave it until Tuesday is up for question and may depend a lot on what personnel are available. I would be tempted to stick with 4-3-3 on Saturday and try and catch them out on Tuesday, however, doing the opposite might keep them guessing. Whatever we can do to gain an advantage.

Midfield wise for me O'Hara is the one player who should be guaranteed a start. He is the most complete midfielder we have in the squad and it shouldnt matter that he isnt our player. We need to win the next few games and he will help us do that. Polworth probably has to start just for his creativity and ability to pick out a pass. His delivery at set pieces needs to improve however. Its thereafter down to either Campbell or Donnelly for me if we stick with 4-3-3. If we opt for a different formation we might have room for both but giving either of them a rest at some stage wouldnt be the worst idea as both have lost a little of their early season form.

Didnt see any of last nights game, but I would be starting Aarons off the back of his performances v Celtic and St Mirren as he appears to offer some genuine pace and quality that our other wingers just dont have. 

Long must start up front. Whether thats with or without Watt depends on the formation.

The quality in our squad seems to be in central positions, especially with Dunne and Turnbull hopefully returning at some point. 

It seems to work well freshening you your formation at this stage in the season so would give this a go. 

Gillespie

Gallagher Donnelly Hartley

Aarons    Caroll

Campbell O’Hara

Polworth

Watt Long 

I’d start with a 4-4-2:

Gillespie

O’Hara, Gallagher, Hartley, Carroll

Aarons, Donnelly, Campbell, Polworth

Long & Watt

Not sure if O’Hara has played RB before but he seems to have all the attributes to play there.

Really, really don’t want to see us line up with 2 lightweight wingers and Long again......

27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Looking at our limited options Id stick with 4-3-3

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Carroll

OHara Polworth Donnelly

Aarons Watt Hylton

That's the team,i would go with too,i was thinking we should maybe go 2 up front for this but now long is injured,that's out the window.its a real concern where the goals are going to come from.