Game 28: Hamilton Accies (A) 22nd February 2020

Andy_P

I'd like to see us ditch the inverted wingers in this game. I don't think we are getting any benefit from it and it is adding a degree of difficulty for guys who need to focus on the basics. It might revive Hylton who won't need to stop and reset all the time and although Ilic has looked dire he has only played on the right which he is obviously not cut out for. 

Accies are on form at the moment without getting great results. They will be confident they can beat us after the respective performances before NY. 

I see that Accies are sticking to their guns and still treating this as a Category A fixture. It'll be interesting to see what our support is. 

As to the team changes are required but they'll be constrained by the fitness of the squad. Management will know about individual players fitness, but could Ilic and Maguire come into the reckoning? Keep Donnelly in defence irrespective of who is fit, start O'Hara and rest Campbell.  I might upset a few on here but I'd bring in Trevor Carson. He's due his chance again.

Team selection is going to be a headache with Carroll now injured as well. If Dunne isnt ready/risked on the plastic I can see Tait plating left back and Grimshaw at RB, which doesnt really resolve any of the issues we all know exist and we end up with a patchwork defence again.  If Gallagher hasnt recovered from his virus then that issue is compounded even further. Shape and formation will depend very much on who is available. One thing is a must and that is O'Hara in midfield. Im also not against he idea of Carson starting. Gillespie is a very good shotstopper but his distribution isnt great. If he isnt signing a new contract and leaving for free in the summer Id be keen to give our new no.1 some gametime.

• Like 1

Best case scenaro.....

Carson

Tait Gallagher Donnelly

Grimshaw Campbell O'Hara Polworth Aarons

Watt

Worst case.......

Carson

Tait Hartley Donnelly

Watt

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Best case scenaro.....

Carson

Tait Gallagher Donnelly

Watt

Worst case.......

Carson

Tait Hartley Donnelly

Watt

you must be confident for saturday mate, starting with 10 men.

saying that I agree with you on the line up, i'd have Maciver up top with Watt though, He done well enough on tuesday to warrant keeping his place. A bit light weight but that will come with games, and i'd rather see him get a run out over Manzinga...unless of course Long is back.

9 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

you must be confident for saturday mate, starting with 10 men.

saying that I agree with you on the line up, i'd have Maciver up top with Watt though, He done well enough on tuesday to warrant keeping his place. A bit light weight but that will come with games, and i'd rather see him get a run out over Manzinga...unless of course Long is back.

Lol! 

I meant to have McIver in there to support Watt!

Typo!

:P

I am assuming Long wont be fit, but if he was obviously Id have him in ahead of McIver.

• Like 1

I like McIver.

He plays with his head up and is always looking to effect the game positively whether it be closing a man down or a forward pass or trying to get a shot away.

It doesnt always come off for him but his body language is a million miles away from that of Seedorf, Manzinga and even Hylton (albeit he is the best of the 3 by a distance)

If Long/Gallacher fit:

Gillespie

Grimshaw  Gallagher Donnelly  Tait 

O'Hara

Aarons Campbell Polworth Long

Watt

If Long/Gallacher not fit:

Gillespie

Grimshaw Donnelly Hartley Tait

O'Hara

Aarons Campbell Polworth Hylton

Watt

Difficult made even more so by the injuries. It will be interesting to see if Hartley plays because if not and with limited choices he’s basically saying goodby to the club captain. I have a feeling Hartley will get another chance and bounce back. He had a mare that first half but frankly so did everyone.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think we'll get back to winning ways here with a good performance. 2-0 to us, Polworth and Watt.

Absolutely no clue how we will line up, but O'Hara is an absolute must start. 

I thought for a while he was going to be a good back up squad player but credit to him for improving each game while others have gone back the way. Deserves to start. 

22 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I thought for a while he was going to be a good back up squad player but credit to him for improving each game while others have gone back the way. Deserves to start. 

I didn't realise he was still only 24 as he seems to have been around for ages. Then I read he made his Killie debut when he was 16 (in 2012).

I don’t want to be smarty pants or any of the sh1t. But I was delighted we signed O’Hara on loan. I always thought he played well against us whether for Dundee or Killie iirc. He has had a tough time breaking into the team because of Polworth, Campbell and Donnelly. But last few games I would have started him over either Campbell or Donnelly. 

We have a few injuries but so do Accies. Rice is saying they will be unrecognisable from the side that beat us before Xmas in terms of personnel. So we cannot use our injuries as an excuse. 

Hope to god Deccy is fit but was really impressed by Donnelly at the back in the 2nd half v St Mirren. He may not want to play there but I would play him alongside Gallacher until Dunne is fit. That way we can fit O’Hara in alongside Polworth and Campbell. Long unlikely to be fit so Watt to start. Penalty miss aside (I know it was crucial) I thought Hylton had a good game when he came on. 

I am missing next two games so 6 or 4 points is the least I expect as a result. Get us back on track for top 4. 

• Like 1

‪Easy option is to go 4-3-3 with Gillespie, Grimmy, Tait, Hartley & Gallagher, 3 from Campbell, Donnelly, Ohara & Polworth then Watt & Aarons & Long (Maciver if not fit). However I’d go 3-5-2 with Gillespie, Gallagher, Donnelly & Tait. Aarons & Hylton as wingbacks, Campbell, Ohara & Polworth, Watt & Long (Maciver if Long not fit‬).

Talk of dropping Gillespie is crazy in my opinion.....With the exception of Gallagher I think he’s been our player of the year.....

The key to our defensive line up is obviously whether Gallagher is well enough to play. If not, I might beempted to go three at the back. I would also look at playing Tait where he is more comfortable, on the right. With Carroll out, I might be tempted to look at Ilic on the left as a wing back in a five man midfield. It would give us the chance to rest Campbell with Grimshaw joining OHara and Polworth in the centre. Might be a bit of a gamble and probably not a longer term solution, but with resources stretched you sometimes have to take a risk or two.

The 'too loyal to certain players' remark was an interesting one, I'd expected an excuse about 'flu in the camp but the comment, along with Hartley getting hooked at half-time, gave me the impression we wouldn't be seeing much of him, at least over the coming weeks.

It'll be interesting to see if that was a throwaway line from Robinson borne out of frustration at the performance or if it will have some impact on team selection, albeit with limited options through injuries and suspension, over the next few weeks.

I'd like to see Gallagher and Donnelly given a chance as a central defensive partnership but seem to recall Donnelly has another suspension coming up  so unless he thinks Maguire is ready I don't see many other options apart from Hartley. Just as long as it isn't Mugabi!