Game 28: Hamilton Accies (A) 22nd February 2020

Andy_P

I’d like to see a midfield diamond with O’Hara, Polworth, Campbell and Turnbull eventually. Aarons supporting Watt up front. 

Looking forward to Dunne’s return as well. He was an asset the season we got to the two cup finals. Surprised some people are writing him off. 

• Like 2

Not defending long at all, but there were at least 2 occasions when other of our players kicked the ball away today and werent even spoken to. Obviously glad we didnt pick up further bookings but the inconsistency in our refs is f**king frustrating. Then what declan got booked for at the end, and Gillespies booking?? The ref just seemed to want to be the centre of attention today.

All in all not a terrible day - point clear in 3rd and a chance to make it 4 on tuesday. We need to pull up our socks though, been extremely lucky not to lose more ground than we have over the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, mfc88 said:

Not defending long at all, but there were at least 2 occasions when other of our players kicked the ball away today and werent even spoken to. Obviously glad we didnt pick up further bookings but the inconsistency in our refs is f**king frustrating. Then what declan got booked for at the end, and Gillespies booking?? The ref just seemed to want to be the centre of attention today.

All in all not a terrible day - point clear in 3rd and a chance to make it 4 on tuesday. We need to pull up our socks though, been extremely lucky not to lose more ground than we have over the last few weeks.

To be fair the chasing pack are now right on our tails, they were miles behind a month ago.

9 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

To be fair the chasing pack are now right on our tails, they were miles behind a month ago.

With the run in to the split we have a chance to restore that gap and hopefully after St Mirren we will be 7 points ahead of 5th place. Assuming that 4th place will get into Europe we should be aiming to go into the split 9 or more points ahead of 5th and I think we will be good. Hopefully we can clinch 3rd anyway 

4 hours ago, wellowell said:

Sorry but if Long deserves a red card fir kicking ball 10 yards and making a tackle no malice then football is fecked. Accies guy wipes Tait out 5 minutes later no booking Long was nieve but to be sent off fir what he done is scandalous 

I thought referees stopped issuing yellow cards for kicking the ball away years ago. You see it week in week out with no action taken. St Mirren did it at least twice on Tuesday with no repercussions.

agree with steelboy amongst others that longs attitude is sometimes shit and whilst there were other things in game that werent dealt with by referee he by stupidity got himself sent off and robinsons response to it i.e raging tells its own story. game was poor but we had gd chances at end but a draw was fair.  was disappointed with crowd but the prices are ridiculous and added to the weather and our pessimism just now it was to be expected. We are in a great european spot race and i hope we win on tuesday night now to get us believing again. On another note I dont understand why burrows cannot agree a deal with accies and other teams that says games at both venues will be same price as an adult and 2 under 16s at fir park is i think £30. but £ 55 at accies is ridiculous. This needs sorted big time

we only had 1200 which for a derby is piss poor. i feel some well fans now are expecting victory all the time and look for any excuse not to go. i dont want to criticize people who dont go as there are many reasons usually cost but i have saw today people even going to lower league english games other than a game against our local rivals?  personally i dont get it.

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

yep last game was poor as well as seasons before we filled the stand 2200 i think. the pricing has killed it and why i feel burrows should explain why it is the case. 

I am I missing something. Why should Burrows explain anything ?

This is a decision by Hamilton to price and grade our game the same as the Old Firm. Thinking we would always turn up as 2000+ supporters. WELL you know what pricing affects football too so get it right up Hamilton. As someone has mentioned it will end up costing them £20,000 + as a result this season. No doubt this decision has backfired on them. 

As for the Long sending off. Did not see him kick the ball away but his 2nd yellow was a mistimed tackle with no malice. Maybe it was a yellow but Scott Brown can make 20 of those tackles a game without a card. I would not exaggerate to say I see half a dozen of those tackles a game without a card. It was harsh on him imho.  So would rather people got off his back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

we only had 1200 which for a derby is piss poor. i feel some well fans now are expecting victory all the time and look for any excuse not to go. i dont want to criticize people who dont go as there are many reasons usually cost but i have saw today people even going to lower league english games other than a game against our local rivals?  personally i dont get it.

Shite park, shite stadium, shite weather shite prices... Work it out for yourself.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am I missing something. Why should Burrows explain anything ?

This is a decision by Hamilton to price and grade our game the same as the Old Firm. Thinking we would always turn up as 2000+ supporters. WELL you know what pricing affects football too so get it right up Hamilton. As someone has mentioned it will end up costing them £20,000 + as a result this season. No doubt this decision has backfired on them. 

As for the Long sending off. Did not see him kick the ball away but his 2nd yellow was a mistimed tackle with no malice. Maybe it was a yellow but Scott Brown can make 20 of those tackles a game without a card. I would not exaggerate to say I see half a dozen of those tackles a game without a card. It was harsh on him imho.  So would rather people got off his back. 

the reason i said burrows should explain is coz he is our leader and very gd on social media. i was not being critical off him but i wouldnt expect accies leader to explain to us.  there are loads if well fans not going due to i think cost so why shouldnt he try and get us same deal as we give them?

23 minutes ago, stv said:

Shite park, shite stadium, shite weather shite prices... Work it out for yourself.

shite weather yes i understand but shite park and shite stadium is a cop out there are loads of others we go to just as shite.  weather and cost is imo only reasons

12 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

shite weather yes i understand but shite park and shite stadium is a cop out there are loads of others we go to just as shite.  weather and cost is imo only reasons

Weather played no part in my decision (and friends) not attending today's match,previous games on the dreadful park influenced us

its a tin pot stadium ,(the old Douglas Park had a bit of character),and the plastic park does not provide a good surface for playing football,the price of tickets influenced me,andthe money saved went towards a  cracking Chinese meal tonight 

27 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

the reason i said burrows should explain is coz he is our leader and very gd on social media. i was not being critical off him but i wouldnt expect accies leader to explain to us.  there are loads if well fans not going due to i think cost so why shouldnt he try and get us same deal as we give them?

Because Accies are run by crooks. 

They didn’t “lose” one million quid, it’s in an off shore account in Bermuda.

20 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Weather played no part in my decision (and friends) not attending today's match,previous games on the dreadful park influenced us

its a tin pot stadium ,(the old Douglas Park had a bit of character),and the plastic park does not provide a good surface for playing football,the price of tickets influenced me,andthe money saved went towards a  cracking Chinese meal tonight 

lol motherwell fans football connoisseurs. mibby better going to barcelona

I'm pretty content with a point today and the results elsewhere were an additional bonus.

First half I thought we were edging the possession but they had perhaps the clearer cut of the chances. 

From my vantage point Long was stupid to kick the ball away and really ill advised with his challenge when his initial misdemeanour was still so fresh in the referees head -much like Jake Carroll earlier in the season against Ross County.  He deserves all he gets in terms of today, he not only put us in jeopardy today he's also made things more difficult than they need to be on Tuesday.  That said whilst I agree there's a degree of petulance about him I can't say I want to see the back of him. Because he moans at his team mates?  Because he didn't kiss the badge and run and slide on his knees in front of the Bois when he scored his first few goals?  Because he's had four yellows since Christmas?  He's scored five goals since Christmas too.  He's in double figures when he's been in and out for a good bit of the season. That's something to try to build on, not hunt him out the door. 

The second half had the potential to be a real backs to the wall job but we negotiated things pretty well all things considered.  There were times when we seemed a bit overly cautious and others I was edgy at seeing Hamilton break and Hartley bombing out to leave even bigger spaces in behind but all in all we played it about right.  Had a couple of opportunities to win it too.

Aside from Long's dismissal the ref didn't exactly do us many favours.  His gesturing to a couple of our players towards the end about where they were taking throw ins from was absolutely laughable given he didn't bother his arse with Hamilton taking free-kicks about 10 yards away from , on at least two occasions.

But to end the day in third isn't really where I expected to be so I'll take that.

On the point about our support I don't think anyone from Motherwell FC has anything to answer to in the slightest.  It is pretty clear that Hamilton want to have their cake and eat it when it comes to our trips there.  They want our cash, but at the same time have appeared to make it unnecessarily awkward as they can for our fans.  The pain in the arse routine of making it all-ticket and not committing until late in the day whether they will have pay at the gate for example.  Or the insistence of searching everyone who enters our end causing queues that stretch one from side of the stand to the other.  Those are matters entirely for Hamilton to justify.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

lol motherwell fans football connoisseurs. mibby better going to barcelona

Correctomundo.... Iam a football connoisseur

Have been to Camp Nou and the Mini Estadia and numerous grounds throughout U.K. And Europe .....but alas unfortunately being Scottish based we have to suffer Accies etc etc