Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020

GazzyB

With Hibs playing the derby, Aberdeen away to Killie and Livi playing Celtic, this is a real chance to put some distance between us and the chasing pack.

No idea how we will line up, but gonna go with an ugly 2-0 to us, Gallagher header and late Turnbull goal off the bench.

Also no CL games so we'll be able to watch the game on MFCTV! 

Perhaps the only upside to no game this Saturday is the chance it gives us to regroup. A weekend off for everyone might not be the worst preparation. The closure with the result of court proceedings in Edinburgh can hopefully draw a line under those events also.

As for the game itself, we will have to cope without Donnelly and the battle that Ross County will undoubtedly bring would possibly have suited him. A case or bringing back Grimshaw if he isn't required for full  back?  Also a chance to test the Watt Long striking partnership. I do think we will need some width if, as expected, they set themselves out to frustrate us, so a role for either Aarons or Hylton. Any kind of  win to get us heading in the right direction again will be gratefully accepted.

5 hours ago, The African said:

Perhaps the only upside to no game this Saturday is the chance it gives us to regroup. A weekend off for everyone might not be the worst preparation. The closure with the result of court proceedings in Edinburgh can hopefully draw a line under those events also.

Yes, time to bring back Grimshaw in some role.  A lot will also depend on how serious O'Hara's injury is. Looking forward to seeing a Watt/Long partnership, with Aarons feeding them, but he'll need to up his defensive game considerably. Sorely tempted to rest Campbell if that proves possible; it may not.

Ross County will be physical and streetwise and we'll need to be alert to their tendency to score late goals.    

Few  thoughts in my head as it stands: 

1. I'm up for making the Gillespie/Carson change. Caveat being I dont see them in training clearly.  But if Carson is still as decent as when he dropped out then I'd get him back in as we lose so much every game with the poor distribution of of Gillespie. Carson is also committed to being here next season etc. Not a big thing though, Gillespie is obviously a great goalie.

2. I also don't wish to see any of our forward players playing wing back. Leaves us far too open and puts these players in positions they cant play that well which isn't really fair on them (or us watching!)

3. I'd like to give Campbell a rest maybe too but dont think we can given injury and suspension.

So that leaves me thinking the below need to start...

Carson, Gallagher, Hartley, Tait, Grimshaw, Campbell, Polworth, Aarons, Watt, Long + 1 other. Fire that all in a tombola and off we go! 

Also, If Dunne and O'Hara are fit it gives us some more options.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The game could have been played today, although that would have curtailed our rest. Maybe the club understandably wanted to keep the 8 day break? In any event the SPFL and/or  TV companies would have blocked any change.

With the court case and recent run of games I'm quite happy we didnt move it. Dunne, O'Hara and Turnbull all have more time too to come back for a couple of reasons.

Like a wee floodlights game as well so ah do. 

A really important game this one, we need to get beck into a decent run of form. With the return if Turnbull and Dunn you would like to think we should improve and Watt is certainly starting to get slightly more up to speed. I personally like Carroll so disappointed we won’t see him again this season. Regardless of formation we need to be back playing with a higher intensity and a little less fear which has certainly crept in to our play. Really important that the Campbell we all know returns, he’s a shadow of his former self just now and we really miss the mark one version.

21 hours ago, GazzyB said:

With Hibs playing the derby, Aberdeen away to Killie and Livi playing Celtic, this is a real chance to put some distance between us and the chasing pack.

No idea how we will line up, but gonna go with an ugly 2-0 to us, Gallagher header and late Turnbull goal off the bench.

Also no CL games so we'll be able to watch the game on MFCTV! 

What you are saying is correct.  The caveat is however we have been saying this for the past 2-3 weeks and keep blowing it big time. 

We fuck up here and genuinely believe our chances of top 4 are over.  We need to get 3 points and get our season back on track. 

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I would think that Dunne is several weeks away from a first team appearance. Turnbull looks nowhere near being match fit. I don't think either player will a meaningful contribution for a few weeks. Hope I'm wrong.

Very possibly, but more confident they can make a contribution  off the bench than  say Mugabi and Maguire. So it's a positive for me. A half fit Turnbull still just needs that one chance for a pass/shot and it changes something. Dunne should be back sooner than that I hear. 

10 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Me too.  Waking up a right crabbit bugger on the back of a defeat though (as seems to have become the norm over the last 5 or 6 weeks), not so much!

Also true! 

Let’s hope Ohara’s fit for this one. A midfield without Donnelly, Ohara or Turnbull is likely to get rolled over in this league.

Presuming he’s fit, I would go 3-5-2 with Gillespie, Tait, Gallagher (in the middle of the 3), Harley, Grimshaw, Campbell, Ohara, Polworth, Aarons, Long, Watt. Think Aarons might be more effective on the left given he’s left footed.

Without Ohara we may need to start with Maguire  in there to give us a physical presence, all be it that it would be a big ask given he has played in the 1st team for months.....

• Like 1

Whilst Campbell gets stuck in he has little or no presence.......

Put it this way, I’ve lost count of the amount of headers Ohara & Donnelly have won in front of our defence in that holding role in recent weeks, whilst I’m a Campbell fan he’s just not physically capable of that.

18 hours ago, couttsy said:

He’s 6ft 2in! 

And we saw Big Cosgrove rag doll him when he went to centre half.

Campbell's limitations mean he will probably be at Fir Park for a while. He does a lot of things well but he's not got the physicality to play in the holding role, he's no pace and he's not very creative. He basically needs a Gorrin type behind him and a Turnbull type ahead of him to be effective. 

• Like 1

• Andy_P changed the title to Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020