Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020

GazzyB

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Campbell's limitations mean he will probably be at Fir Park for a while. He does a lot of things well but he's not got the physicality to play in the holding role, he's no pace and he's not very creative. He basically needs a Gorrin type behind him and a Turnbull type ahead of him to be effective. 

Glad you've found another good player to start picking on. It's almost like your saying that midfield needs a balance of players and that it's better for them to play together as a team than as individuals.

That's pretty radical, and I doubt it will catch on. Next thing you'll be saying that strikers need other players to cross the ball to them.

Madness.

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Glad you've found another good player to start picking on. It's almost like your saying that midfield needs a balance of players and that it's better for them to play together as a team than as individuals.

That's pretty radical, and I doubt it will catch on. Next thing you'll be saying that strikers need other players to cross the ball to them.

Madness.

Over the last few weeks just about every player has been talked down by a couple of the usual suspects on here. It’s worth again asking that if they are all so useless, and every other manager has found us out and has a game plan we don’t have. How on earth are we third in the league and not bottom ?

8 hours ago, steelboy said:

And we saw Big Cosgrove rag doll him when he went to centre half.

Campbell's limitations mean he will probably be at Fir Park for a while. He does a lot of things well but he's not got the physicality to play in the holding role, he's no pace and he's not very creative. He basically needs a Gorrin type behind him and a Turnbull type ahead of him to be effective. 

To be fair to young Barry he’s not likely to be up against monsters of the ilk of Cosgrove very often. And if I remember rightly Cosgrove out ran him for his goal at FP rather than out muscling him...

If O’hara’s not fit (and I hope to hell he is) who should we play in the defensive midfield role then?  

Most midfield players at our level are likely to look better when playing alongside Turnbull....

It's the same group of hard working players who have a European spot in our own hands so hopefully the crowd is patient tomorrow and gets behind them. Canny be fucked with sitting 3rd and folk sitting grumbling into their bovril after 5 minutes. 

It's clear that hitting the back of the net has been a huge problem since christmas. Curiosity took me to scorers in the 7 games since then compared to the first 7 of the season. Has the departures of Cole and Scott really lost us all these goals? 

First 7 - Donnelly (4), Cole (2), Long (1), Seedorf (2), Hylton (2), Campbell (1), Hartley, Gallagher

Last 7 - Donnelly (2), Long (1)

• Like 1

As others have stated, we're kind of down to bare bones at the moment so there's not a huge number of options team selection wise. 

I'd be going 352 

Gillespie 

Gallagher Tait Hartley

Grimshaw Campbell O'Hara Polworth Aarons 

Watt McIver

If O'Hara isn't fit, I'd be tempted to play Maguire, Semple or Cornelius in the middle. Risky but no riskier than playing Grimshaw in there and having Mugabi in the back three. McIver is simply a better option than Long in my opinion, an opinion that I know is unpopular. 

Like I said, that would be my team but I fully expect 433 with Tait at left back...

12 minutes ago, Hope Springs said:

A strong lineup on paper although I hope Turnbull and Watt manage a decent spell on the park. A two goal margin at least would do our confidence no end of good. So 3-0 the Well.

Strong? Deary me. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is borderline insanity. Time will tell...

• Andy_P changed the title to Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020