Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020

GazzyB

Ages since I've seen a goal lift a team in the way O'Hara's did tonight. That sparked a complete turnaround and with one kick of the ball we seemed to have forgotten the last two months. I did have the fear about 20 minutes into the second half that we'd rue those endless missed chances, but we eventually had a player in Long who decided to just run a man and put in a blinder of a ball to Campbell. Two of many outstanding performers tonight. 

It's great to see the team still has a performance in them like that. Considering selling a kidney so I can afford to go to Tynecastle now. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed that,there was a freshness and energy about us,that's been sadly lacking lately.as a whole the team played really well,with some outstanding individual performances,for me that was longs best game for us and its no coincidence that when campbell is on it,the team plays well,he was different class tonight.

Just watched the highlights and it was good to see such a solid performance. It's amazing how much of this game is mental and the first goal put us on the front foot where we are most productive.

We had the best result of the top 4 tonight which just goes to show how difficult it is at our end of the table. 

Great win last night and other results went our way, just had a look at the table and 4 points will secure a top six finish, less if Killie and StJ drop any points. So another target nearly achieved, here's hoping we kick on and secure the main target a 3rd place finish and the europa league.

As mentioned before we did not suddenly have a team full of awful players, we reached 3rd place this season for a reason. Last few games it was obvious that the main problem was a lack of confidence, we were pulling out of challenges and the energy levels were at 80%. Robinson’s teams have always been about playing at a high tempo and that returned last night, no coincidence that the old Campbell returned. It’s amazing we are still 3rd in the league but yet again sums up the lack of quality in the division outside of Celtic. Tough run of fixtures coming up but let’s be honest any other team can be beaten on the day.

Sticky start to the game, bit slack at first goal, thought Aaron's could have cleared but was ball watching. Picked up the pace and the confidence returned through the team. Hartley showed again why he's a leader went through a tackle think in first half he had no right to win and just lifted crowd and team. Long runs channels all day and just needs to do what he did later, lift his head, not be gready. Gallagher looked a bit of pace at times, overrunning the ball and slicing a couple out the park. But hey this is Motherwell, we all have off days so hopefully the negativity to some players will stop. 

Lets have a recap of last night in the cool light of day

Excellent result and one that we badly need …… but let’s not get carried away there were some glaring deficiencies in that performance, although we were streets ahead of County until we got the 3rd goal all 3 points were still in doubt.

Keeper : excellent goalkeeper one that I will be sad to see go, but his distribution … does anyone work with him to improve it ? (genuine question)

Defence : With Hartley and Tait in there we struggle for pace both I think reached their sell by date. The way Hartley lost his man for 1st goal was criminal                                                                                   
                       Gallagher for has dipped a little but is by far our best defender … Grimmy we he’s just Grimmy a good honest pro

Midfield : Great to see Alan Campbell back and I thought O’Hara was excellent in the holding role ( more mobile than Donnelly) Polworth was also more like why he was earlier in the season 

Wingers : Think Hylton last beat a man about September why oh why can they just not try and do what Long did for 3rd goal beat your man get to the bye line and get the ball in

Centre : Although not an out and out striker leads the line well and makes some terrific runs which are seldom seen by others , could do with a few goals

Overall we have had a great season but there are areas of the team that need to be addressed 

Going forward would love to see Watt and Long playing up front as a 2 with Turnbull supplying the ammunition could be potent IMO

Work needs to be done on the defence and soon against better opposition (Killie for example) it will be exposed big time

• Like 1

That was entertaining and great and to get the first home win in three months. Campbell was superb so hopefully his form will get back to his usual standards, O'Hara played very well and we should definitely be making him offer. Tait and Hartley made a few errors but kept at it all night and set a good tempo. 

Long played well but he is a lunatic. It's funny to watch when you are winning though so hopefully we go on a run. The highlights were almost kicking the ball over the main stand at HT, getting talked to by the ref for moving the ball again and going for a seat in the dugout for a couple of minutes before deciding he wanted to play on. 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That was entertaining and great and to get the first home win in three months. Campbell was superb so hopefully his form will get back to his usual standards, O'Hara played very well and we should definitely be making him offer. Tait and Hartley made a few errors but kept at it all night and set a good tempo. 

Long played well but he is a lunatic. It's funny to watch when you are winning though so hopefully we go on a run. The highlights were almost kicking the ball over the main stand at HT, getting talked to by the ref for moving the ball again and going for a seat in the dugout for a couple of minutes before deciding he wanted to play on. 

He had a problem with his boots 

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

18 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Tony Watt was stripped and reading the book the subs spend five minutes with before they go on. 

I doubt that was because of his boots. 

To be fair Tony was only on page 6 of The Hungry Caterpillar and wanted to reach page 7 before he came on. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Great win last night and other results went our way, just had a look at the table and 4 points will secure a top six finish, less if Killie and StJ drop any points. So another target nearly achieved, here's hoping we kick on and secure the main target a 3rd place finish and the europa league.

Yes, almost over the top 6 line Allan. If Killie win all their pre split games they could end up on 45 points, the same as we have at the moment.  St Johnstone could achieve 48 if they win all 5 of their pre split fixtures but they have a tough programme ahead.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Tony Watt was stripped and reading the book the subs spend five minutes with before they go on. 

:doh:  And your point is....you really cant stop talking shite can you, if you have nothing relevant to say, then say nothing.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Rubbish 

Tony Watt was behind the goals doing his warm up

When Long went down the bench immediately signalled for him, I’m sure like the rest of us thought is was in connection with the heavy knock he took in the first half

When the physio got to Long he immediately gave the thumbs up to the bench without even treating him.

Long skipped past the County defender as if he wasn’t there to set up the 3rd goal. Oh and did you see his reaction to getting subbed after it ??

I would suggest that if you actually go to the games you pay attention to what is happen on the park

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

He was also 10 yards back on the pitch before the ref had waived him on, had to go back off, another possible yellow from a petty ref 

6 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Excellent result and one that we badly need …… but let’s not get carried away there were some glaring deficiencies in that performance, although we were streets ahead of County until we got the 3rd goal all 3 points were still in doubt.

Keeper : excellent goalkeeper one that I will be sad to see go, but his distribution … does anyone work with him to improve it ? (genuine question)

Defence : With Hartley and Tait in there we struggle for pace both I think reached their sell by date. The way Hartley lost his man for 1st goal was criminal                                                                                   
                       Gallagher for has dipped a little but is by far our best defender … Grimmy we he’s just Grimmy a good honest pro

Midfield : Great to see Alan Campbell back and I thought O’Hara was excellent in the holding role ( more mobile than Donnelly) Polworth was also more like why he was earlier in the season 

Wingers : Think Hylton last beat a man about September why oh why can they just not try and do what Long did for 3rd goal beat your man get to the bye line and get the ball in

Centre : Although not an out and out striker leads the line well and makes some terrific runs which are seldom seen by others , could do with a few goals

Overall we have had a great season but there are areas of the team that need to be addressed 

Going forward would love to see Watt and Long playing up front as a 2 with Turnbull supplying the ammunition could be potent IMO

Work needs to be done on the defence and soon against better opposition (Killie for example) it will be exposed big time

Excellent post and I agree with almost all of it. We got off to the worst possible start and lost a goal but what a peach it was - straight from the training ground. Tait's calamitous attempted clearance led to the corner, from which Fontaine scored. In the early stages both Hartley and Tait looked very shaky and again we faffed about at the back. However we came back into the game with O'Hara's goal followed by Campbell's finish. For a long spell thereafter,  although we were the better team we couldn't finish them off as you say until we notched the 3rd. A great fighting display. I though Gallgher had a decent game but it was the midfield that really took a grip of the game with Campbell and O'Hara outstanding and Polworth looking impressive. Long was a perfect pest to county all evening and deserved a goal. Watt too looked impressive when he came on.

I've criticised Robbo recently for some of his line ups and tactics but last night he got it right against a streetwise physical side so credit to him for that.  Not a perfect performance though as were again vulnerable down the wings and the defence just won't do moving forwards. I think Tait and Hartely's times have come and gone. I'd like to get O'Hara on a permanent deal but that may not prove possible. Overall though a great team performance and a very welcome return to winning ways. Almost a perfect set of other results elswhere too.

11 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, almost over the top 6 line Allan. If Killie win all their pre split games they could end up on 45 points, the same as we have at the moment.  St Johnstone could achieve 48 if they win all 5 of their pre split fixtures but they have a tough programme ahead.

Pretty sure we have already secured top six on 45 points ,  permutations are pretty complex , but for Killie or Saints to match/better us, other clubs around us would drop or only equal 45 points finish

for Killie to match that, they have to beat Accies, StMidden, Us and Aberdeen

For St johnstone  , they face Livvi, Hibs,  Celtic ,  Accies, StMidden?

so maybe not clear cut from their fixtures but whilst thats happening, the rest of the contenders are also playing each other during those remaining games, Livvi will have the most influence if we were to gain 0 points

Aberdeen face Hibs, Us,  Livvi, Hearts

Livvi face StJohnstone, Hearts, Aberdeen, Killie

Hibs face Aberdeen, StJohnstone, Accies, Celtic

all that said , if we arrive at the split on 45 points,  it might be better facing the bottom six in the run in

Hearts seems to have picked up a bit so probably be a pretty difficult game. I think I’d be ok with a point from this one. Although we should be upbeat too after last nights result. Not sure how our close competitors will do but with Aberdeen playing Hibs we will get some benefit from that game regardless of the score. 

• Andy_P changed the title to Game 29: Ross County (H) 4th March 2020