Motherwell vs Aberdeen *Game Postponed*

real dosser

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while but with lockdown looming, it feels rather irrelevant now. From a sporting perspective, the precautionary cancellation of Man City Arsenal due to the Olympiakos connection highlights the domino effect. It’ll be interesting to see what the spfl do should we get to the stage that the season can’t be completed. 

The authorities have asked every Scots club to check that their insurance policies cover having to play games behind closed doors, so that is an option should the situation develop further. However the experts doubt as to whether cancelling outdoor events is effective.

Game should go ahead and hopefully our best team turns up for what will be a tough, hard clash.

5 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while but with lockdown looming, it feels rather irrelevant now. From a sporting perspective, the precautionary cancellation of Man City Arsenal due to the Olympiakos connection highlights the domino effect. It’ll be interesting to see what the spfl do should we get to the stage that the season can’t be completed. 

Arsenal are at it. They played Olympiakos 13 days ago and they are showing no symptoms.

• Like 1

Ideally we can win but a draw at least so we can stay ahead of Aberdeen and finish in 3rd place when SPFL order postponements or the end of the league / world as we know it. 

Then we just need to hope this Virus is under control by the time we are due to visit Wales / Ireland or some other random outpost for our Europa tie next season. Assuming anyone is still alive by this point....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Arsenal are at it. They played Olympiakos 13 days ago and they are showing no symptoms.

Manchester City's Premier League match with Arsenal on Wednesday has been postponed as a "precautionary measure" and several Gunners players are in self-isolation after Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis contracted coronavirus.

Arsenal say Marinakis, 52, met a number of their players when the Gunners hosted the Greek side in a Europa League match two weeks ago

Would imagine we will be without Campbell for this fixture at least, given his absence from the Scotland under 21s squad. A big loss if he was going to continue his return to form from the Ross County game. Hopefully the returning Donnelly can  step u and fill the void.

So Nicola Sturgeon stating that she is 'minded' to ban all gatherings of more then 500 people that require police or ambulance support. Ok for Livi and the Accies as they'd still be able to get all their fans in.

Looking like this is going to be sooner rather than later.

This could go on for a while though. Apparently 70% of the population will get it at some point but governments are willing to go into near lockdown when less than 0.1% of people have it. 

It seems like madness to me. Surely it would be better for vunerable people to isolate and everyone else to get on with it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

This could go on for a while though. Apparently 70% of the population will get it at some point but governments are willing to go into near lockdown when less than 0.1% of people have it. 

It seems like madness to me. Surely it would be better for vunerable people to isolate and everyone else to get on with it. 

I think it’s more serious than you think. The mortality rate in Italy is an eye opener. 

this is about prevention and even if you have   a 1% mortality rate that could mean millions of deaths worldwide. 

swine flu in 2009 infected 61 million and killed 600,000. 

9 minutes ago, johnstone said:

I think it’s more serious than you think. The mortality rate in Italy is an eye opener. 

this is about prevention and even if you have   a 1% mortality rate that could mean millions of deaths worldwide. 

swine flu in 2009 infected 61 million and killed 600,000. 

The mortality rate in South Korea is 0.7% and they are doing the most testing so will be the most accurate. 

I'm not saying it's not serious just that it's unpreventable. The decisions seem to be about how long the virus will take to work through the population and the route we are going down seems to suggest it might be years.

If excess deaths are really worth all this trouble why not ban tobacco? It's all about governments panicking about popularity. 

The mortality rate is a tricky one as in countries like the US we don't really know how many people are currently infected (apart from Tom Hanks). This is mostly due to advice to self-isolate (but not get tested) if you have the symptoms. Given flu season is still in full swing, there may be over or undercounting going on.

The CDC figures for US flu related deaths this season are 20 - 40k.

The problem seems to be that the range of responses is so varied that suspending football matches (which were ranked as lower risk)  is negligible compared to more positive action governments should have taken earlier.

Whatever the answer is, the best options have already been and gone.

42 minutes ago, steelboy said:

So everyone, say, over 60 who has followed MFC all their lives doesn't count just so you can see your game regardless of them? Fuck off you selfish cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Andy_P locked this topic