Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

Given the SFA's decision to suspend all football due to the ongoing CV-19 plague, until who knows when, what do people think should be the outcome for all the leagues?

1. Declare the season null and void, and we all start again hopefully in August?

2. Finish the season now, and award the prizes and relegation etc based on current league positions.

3. Wait till every thing calms down in a month or so and finish the season?

Your thoughts please

There's not that many games left. We could easily suspend things for a few weeks and, if the situation improves later next month, play Sat - Wed - Sat for a slightly extended season.

No need for rash decisions yet - especially given the financial implications. You know the government will have football at the bottom of the list of businesses they will be offering assistance to. 

Here in Australia all football codes are going ahead. Next week all codes behind closed doors and on the telly. The one day cricket Australia v New Zealand was played with no fans today. . .very strange no crowd noise.

I was at Suncorp Stadium tonight for the Brisbane game the Stadium was almost empty. 

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

There's not that many games left. We could easily suspend things for a few weeks and, if the situation improves later next month, play Sat - Wed - Sat for a slightly extended season.

No need for rash decisions yet - especially given the financial implications. You know the government will have football at the bottom of the list of businesses they will be offering assistance to. 

There won't be fewer cases than there are currently for a long time. 

The peak is supposedly 12 weeks away. Even if we get back at the end of May that's a longer break than we have in the summer so teams will presumably need some preseason.

Our response to the pandemic is evolving at a rapid pace and we are facing an unimaginable number of deaths. Football and routine social interaction will resume when the time is right, that could be weeks or in all likelihood many months. In the meantime, there are far bigger concerns to worry about than professional sport. Take these measures as a warning as to how severe the situation could be. 

• Like 1

If this follows normal pandemic models (and so far it has), then there will be a second wave next winter.  Whatever they decide they need to keep that in mind as well

Has to be option 3, but think it depends on outcome with Euro 2020. Push that back to 2021, then leagues can resume in summer. Option 1 and 2 open up governing bodies to lawsuits from clubs being relegated/not promoted which can potentially have massive financial impact on them. 

There will be a problem over out of contract players, but surely something FIFA and FIFPro could sort out with an automatic extension applied to all contracts until season complete?

If it carriers on into July / August, the League Cup and winter breaks could be scrapped next year and new season can start in September. Scotland could even take the opportunity to switch to  summer football??

Harder question resolves around the European competitions and cups, but they would be easier to scrap than leagues. 

Biggest worry is a hell of a lot of clubs will be pushed to the edge with this suspension with many living month to month. Governing bodies must do all the can to facilitate short term loans for clubs, etc. 

The suspension of the season is the right thing to do.  This virus is a serious danger and everything else has to be put aside right now.

At present the season should be mothballed until such a time as we have a better understanding of what is going to happen.

I've heard Euro 2020 is almost certainly going to be cancelled so that gives us time to sit and wait.

However I just watched a long interview with one of the top experts in infectious diseases and he says that the virus isn't going away any time soon.

Right now it's wait and see.  However if mass gatherings can't be reinstated then I'd be in favour of playing the remaining matches up to at least the split behind closed doors.  Even then player infections might make that impossible but mid to long term I think clubs should try to fulfil fixtures if at all possible even if it means there are no fans present.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51878694?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story

Motherwell: Alan Burrows says Scottish football clubs need 'proper clarity

Scottish football clubs need "proper clarity as quickly as possible" after fixtures were postponed amid the coronavirus outbreak, says Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows.

All football under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA has been suspended "until further notice".

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster has already warned the postponements could have "dire consequences" for teams.

"I think it's a concern for us all," said Burrows, whose club is fan-owned.

"The biggest one - and this is no-one's particular fault - is the lack of proper clarity. We got some regarding this weekend's games and that was welcome.

"But what clubs need now is even more clarity about what happens next, as quickly as possible.

"Because with clarity comes the ability to make decisions to try to mitigate as much as possible against anything negative happening to the business."

The SPFL has acted after the UK government escalated its response and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon advised events of more than 500 people should be cancelled.

The all-encompassing decision has been taken to ensure a consistency of message and the idea of playing behind closed doors was ruled out due to the unavailability of emergency service provision.

Scottish clubs rely heavily on ticket sales, with Uefa's latest benchmark report revealing that 43% of the Scottish top flight's revenue was made up of gate receipts in 2018.

And the league body warned clubs earlier this week that there were no cash reserves to help them in the event of matches taking place without spectators.

"The worst thing, by far, is not knowing what's around the corner and being left in a state of flux," said Burrows.

"For everybody's sake, I think we need some clear decisions on things like dates and any legislation so that clubs can start to manage the situation. That needs to be the priority over the next few days.

"No matter the size of club, I don't think there are any in Scotland who don't agree this won't be an easy time."

2 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Our response to the pandemic is evolving at a rapid pace and we are facing an unimaginable number of deaths. Football and routine social interaction will resume when the time is right, that could be weeks or in all likelihood many months. In the meantime, there are far bigger concerns to worry about than professional sport. Take these measures as a warning as to how severe the situation could be. 

Pant wetter... Man up.

2 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

.... soooooo, is that option 1, 2 or 3?

Germany and Spain are considering a radical approach. On the basis that the disruption will continue for up to 12 weeks, leaving no time to complete outstanding games/play-offs.

1. Consider the League complete as it stands for position pay out monies and European qualification. Great for us.

2. No Champions or relegation. There is a thought that a relegated team could legally challenge demotion as " They might have escaped" had the league run as originally planned. Great for Hearts. Meltdown in the east end of Glasgow. Celtic have already started working the media in that regard.

3.  Promote two teams  (four in Germany) to create a larger league for one season resulting in additional home games and income for everybody. Great for Utd and Caley. Tough on Dundee and Ayr.

4. At the end of next season relegate enough teams to bring the league back to its original numbers.

As I said. different. but it shows that there are lots of options out there. Not all will be fair for every team but a compromise will have to be found and tough decisions made. Whatever is to happen will depend on how long the suspension lasts and how much time exists before the new season begins. It's a mess.

If the disruption continues for 12 weeks, then we could just cancel the League Cup and play out the end of this season at the start of the next.

The interesting question then would be can teams buy new players before the delayed conclusion.

I think scrapping relegation/promotion is the worst option for all the obvious reasons.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If the disruption continues for 12 weeks, then we could just cancel the League Cup and play out the end of this season at the start of the next.

The interesting question then would be can teams buy new players before the delayed conclusion.

I think scrapping relegation/promotion is the worst option for all the obvious reasons.

And if relegation was legally challenged?   And in the German/Italian model there would be promotion, Compromise as I said.

And I got my Spanish and Italians mixed up.  Apologies. It's Italy that is thinking along those lines.

European qualifying rounds will also begin straight away, so if we try to finish the League, who do we enter? 

1 hour ago, stv said:

Pant wetter... Man up.

250 deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours. 189 the day before. See who’s pant-wetting in a few weeks. 

• Like 3

I agree 100% that football needs to be suspended for the time being, as this is a very serious health issue. That must take precedence, so no argument from me.

However livelihoods are also at stake and clubs and players do need clarity. My initial reaction to the announcment was the same as that of Alan Burrows. Its a fudged decision, if indeed it could be called  a decision.   Why did we not set some sort of date as they've done in England for example 3 April to see how the pandemic is progressing and then take a final decision.  To leave the football industry in limbo is in no-one's interest. Clubs need clarity

36 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree 100% that football needs to be suspended for the time being, as this is a very serious health issue. That must take precedence, so no argument from me.

However livelihoods are also at stake and clubs and players do need clarity. My initial reaction to the announcment was the same as that of Alan Burrows. Its a fudged decision, if indeed it could be called  a decision.   Why did we not set some sort of date as they've done in England for example 3 April to see how the pandemic is progressing and then take a final decision.  To leave the football industry in limbo is in no-one's interest. Clubs need clarity

On the flip side if people are lead to believe that it will be over by 3rd April they are likely to be disappointed. They can incur non refundable costs. I think most of us know it is likely to be longer. We are being told peak of the virus will be mid end May.

Just now, Shotts Well Fan said:

On the flip side if people are lead to believe that it will be over by 3rd April they are likely to be disappointed. They can incur non refundable costs. I think most of us know it is likely to be longer. We are being told peak of the virus will be mid end May.

In that case the footballing authorities should identify the latest feasible date for the postponed fixtures to start say 16 May just for example. Publicise that date and then announce that a final decision will be taken a few days before. That then gives everyone clarity.

23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

In that case the footballing authorities should identify the latest feasible date for the postponed fixtures to start say 16 May just for example. Publicise that date and then announce that a final decision will be taken a few days before. That then gives everyone clarity.

I get your logic, but there is absolutely no  way they should be suggesting something like that just now. There's a thousand conversations to be had before they can come to any sort of decision. 

I think all common sense suggests it's an evolving situation and things remain under constant review. The PLs date in April is meaningless.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Germany and Spain are considering a radical approach. On the basis that the disruption will continue for up to 12 weeks, leaving no time to complete outstanding games/play-offs.

1. Consider the League complete as it stands for position pay out monies and European qualification. Great for us.

2. No Champions or relegation. There is a thought that a relegated team could legally challenge demotion as " They might have escaped" had the league run as originally planned. Great for Hearts. Meltdown in the east end of Glasgow. Celtic have already started working the media in that regard.

3.  Promote two teams  (four in Germany) to create a larger league for one season resulting in additional home games and income for everybody. Great for Utd and Caley. Tough on Dundee and Ayr.

4. At the end of next season relegate enough teams to bring the league back to its original numbers.

As I said. different. but it shows that there are lots of options out there. Not all will be fair for every team but a compromise will have to be found and tough decisions made. Whatever is to happen will depend on how long the suspension lasts and how much time exists before the new season begins. It's a mess.

Re option 2 ...would we qualify for Europe? I know it’s self interest but.....

I think resuming the league once this is over is the best option.  

Ending the league now could open a can of worms.

48 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Re option 2 ...would we qualify for Europe? I know it’s self interest but.....

Yes we would 3rd is europa league, 4th depends on who wins the Scottish cup. That said I am sure there is some sort of average points calculation that the SPFL does to determine final positions. But as nothing like this has ever happened nobody is sure what will happen. 

Could easily start with games behind close doors (doesn’t have to be on tv) once the panic calms down. Easily get atleast two games a week only 8 left so that’s only a month left. 

Remember the advice is to delay the peak not to make sure nobody gets it

6 minutes ago, smeddum07 said:

Could easily start with games behind close doors (doesn’t have to be on tv) once the panic calms down. Easily get atleast two games a week only 8 left so that’s only a month left. 

Remember the advice is to delay the peak not to make sure nobody gets it

That would only work if club employees were immune from catching it. Instead, you are going to have players going into self-isolation regularly.