Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

On 4/21/2020 at 10:59 AM, Spiderpig said:

Any proposal to increase the teams in the premiership,  such as Livingstons up to 14, needs an 11-1 vote for acceptance,  thats never going to happen , as both ugly sisters will vote no as it will reduce the games against each other an so reduce income. 

I doubt Sky would entertain the idea of a television deal at the current rate if they're not getting the Rangers and Celtic games they were promised.

Let's be honest, that's what they're paying for. No one is tuning in to see us play St Mirren. The TV deals we get are what they are because we can sell them Rangers and Celtic and all the shite that comes with those games.

This is from the latest government briefing today

gatherings in pubs and at public events are likely to be banned or restricted for some months to come.

We will  be lucky to get next season started on time, never mind complete this season.

2 hours ago, si91 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52418048 Just seen this from the BBC; I’d imagine a meltdown in Scottish football if this was to happen here; and having already promoted Dundee Utd, it wouldn’t totally follow. 

Absolutely. If it comes to a vote about how to close the Premiership I suspect clubs will follow predictable lines.  Clubs with most to gain by playing out remaing games, such as Hearts and Aberdeen  would vote to play out the remaining games for obvious reasons. Those with most to lose would vote to end the season as is. Then of course we have the Government's approach to large scale gatherings bearing in mind that even closed door games will probably require over 50 participants.  

On 4/23/2020 at 3:18 PM, Spiderpig said:

This is from the latest government briefing today

gatherings in pubs and at public events are likely to be banned or restricted for some months to come.

We will  be lucky to get next season started on time, never mind complete this season.

It's about time our government started taking its lead from Sweden on this issue.

2 hours ago, David said:

It's about time our government started taking its lead from Sweden on this issue.

To be fair I don't think Sweden was as badly hit by covid as the UK was, so they may feel a harsh extended lockdown is not required, but I agree with the general point, life needs to go on.

2 hours ago, David said:

aye and we should burn down 5g masts and inject disenfectant , fuckin stupid comment

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

To be fair I don't think Sweden was as badly hit by covid as the UK was, so they may feel a harsh extended lockdown is not required, but I agree with the general point, life needs to go on.

The current aim is that life goes on for as many people as possible.

• Like 2

Sweden. Really? Reported deaths more than double of Norway, Denmark and Finland combined. 

It’s becoming increasingly obvious that there won’t be mass gatherings this year, possibly well into 2021. The ramping up of testing however means that closed door sporting events become more palatable, if the majority of sportsmen and women are willing to take the risk.

The question for Scottish football is can we adapt to no gate income (live ppv streaming, slashed wages, playing kids) or effectively close the doors for the foreseeable?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brazilian said:

aye and we should burn down 5g masts and inject disenfectant , fuckin stupid comment

Is that what the Swedish government are also doing? I must have missed that.

Otherwise you're chatting shite.

7 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Sweden. Really? Reported deaths more than double of Norway, Denmark and Finland combined. 

Yes, really.

26 minutes ago, David said:

See how it pans out then. It’s a helluva risky approach though when there is no proof of immunity nor an imminent vaccine. Maybe Sweden’s infrastructure, density, clinical capacity and the general health of the population allows for a more relaxed and economic driven approach, time will tell. 

Had the UK done the same though it would likely have been catastrophic. As you’ll know, Vallance and Cummings were long term supporters of herd immunity until they clocked that in the case of covid-19, the transmission rate and severity of disease for some would lead to 250k+ deaths. 

Having said all that, sustained lockdown is not a fix for preserving life. The number of non Covid deaths in recent weeks is incredibly alarming and will hopefully drive a more balanced approach going forward, particularly with testing finally being ramped up (which potentially allows for safer execution of partial herd immunity).

Going back to the topic though. Fans attending football in high numbers, it will be one of the last steps in the return to ‘normality’.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Had the UK done the same though it would likely have been catastrophic.

I recall all of the experts telling Sweden that a number of weeks back as well. 

But yes, football attendance in large numbers will not be happening for a long time, and for fans of certain age groups or with certain health concerns, perhaps never again.

From a purely footballing point of view, I miss going to games, but I really feel sorry for the older generation who've attended games all their lives who may never get to sit in Fir Park again.

The cancellation and avoidance of regular medical treatment is going to turn out to be a disaster. 

It will probably be 18 months before anyone can say whether or not Sweden got it right. I work in a shop that is busy every single day and none of the dozens of full time staff have gotten sick which makes me think that asymptomatic cases will be a lot higher than currently estimated. 

I can't see how league reconstruction can even be properly discussed when nobody knows when we'll be able to start playing again. Depending when we can restart, we might not be able to fit in a whole or even half a season. 

10 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Had the UK done the same though it would likely have been catastrophic. As you’ll know, Vallance and Cummings were long term supporters of herd immunity until they clocked that in the case of covid-19, the transmission rate and severity of disease for some would lead to 250k+ deaths.

“The concept of herd immunity has been very poorly reported in the media as were many other covid 19 issues. As a sole strategy it wouldn’t work, but it is a biological rule we cant escape without a vaccine or a 1 month plus total global lock down.” That’s the view of a friend who has a doctorate in virology. 

• Like 2

I'm just going to sit here sipping my bleach until the panic is over.

• Haha 4

Did u change to the ultra violet light bulbs n all.

The SPFL board open letter is a horror show.

If you ever have to say "We live in a democracy" you should probably just be quiet.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

The UEFA deadline for the member associations to decide is the 25th of May, you just know the email from the SPFL will get lost. :nod:

Based on their previous, they'll send a 200 page brief to the clubs on the morning of the 24th, to be voted on later that day.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

If you ever have to say "We live in a democracy" you should probably just be quiet.

Certainly sounds a bit North Korean.

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

Nah, I think it says more about the state of certain clubs that they feel the need to spell that out to them. 

Rangers are one of the least professionally run clubs in Scottish Football just now. If a multi-million pound business can't even release a coherent and professional statement, then I've no faith that they're capable of pulling together a well-reasoned dossier of evidence. 

The SPFL board, elected by it's 42 members and charged with advising on what they see is in the best interest of the members, wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't highlight the impact of an investigation when Rangers have failed so far to produce any evidence.