Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

Players and staff do get illness (spurs playing after food poisoning) as I say we want people to get it not avoid it (apart from elderly people and people with comorbidities) people are going to get it we just want to delay the peak. 

If they want to finish the season could they not just wait for a month and then play the games remaining until the split.Even if it’s behind closed doors.Would be fair as everyone has played each other 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dennyc said:

And if relegation was legally challenged?   And in the German/Italian model there would be promotion, Compromise as I said.

And I got my Spanish and Italians mixed up.  Apologies. It's Italy that is thinking along those lines.

European qualifying rounds will also begin straight away, so if we try to finish the League, who do we enter? 

I think we are agreeing regarding relegation. I meant that it would be unworkable to not have relegation.

If things are better on the artificial deadline of April 30th, we wouldn't need to extend the season by much. No need for any preseason if the players are keeping themselves fit.  If they aren't OK, then I'd be surprised if UEFA is starting any of their competitions on time. (Although with UEFA, you can't be sure of any common sense).

Wondering if any of the older people on here can help me decide if I’m just making this up or not but I seem to have a recollection of something in English football a good number of years ago where they convened a special panel to decide the results of some game that were not taking place for some reason. Can’t recall why but perhaps I’m just going senile ?

11 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Wondering if any of the older people on here can help me decide if I’m just making this up or not but I seem to have a recollection of something in English football a good number of years ago where they convened a special panel to decide the results of some game that were not taking place for some reason. Can’t recall why but perhaps I’m just going senile ?

Think you're referring to the pools panel, which was convened to decide results for Scottish and English senior football so the pools could still pay out during the dreadful winter of 1962-3. Being an EK boy, I spent most of my time hunting reindeer on the tundra that season. 

• Haha 2

In was born in 1974 and still remember the Pools panel operating so it must have continued for quite a while.  I recollect the disappointment of the game being off turning to utter disgust if, when watching on Grandstand's Vidiprinter,  the panel had determined Motherwell would have lost.

Sportsound this afternoon has rumblings from the SFA that the season is over and to minimise disruption to next season so it's not going to be reconvened. They didn't mention what this meant for titles and relegation and all that however I'd assume European places would be awarded. As much as that would suit us,  with 24 points still left to play for I think it goes in the face of what a fair sporting competition is however I'm struggling to find reasonable alternatives. 

Putting self-interest aside, I'd rather see the remaining 8 games be played as soon as football is playable. That could be accommodated in August / September (assuming football is back) with the 20/21 season then being a reduced 33 game season with each team playing each other 3 times - home, away and at a neutral venue. I can think of a few downsides including teams not being able to plan financially for 20/21, particularly those who may be relegated or promoted, how the transfer window fits into that timetable and how costs with neutral venues would work.

Alternatively, just stick with the 38 game season and go for it - 46 game seasons are played in England so it can be done. That doesn't take away the ending of this season being effectively back to back with the start of next which will be a problem for the relegated team.

For once, I've got sympathy for those at the top trying to work this one out.

30 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Think you're referring to the pools panel, which was convened to decide results for Scottish and English senior football so the pools could still pay out during the dreadful winter of 1962-3. Being an EK boy, I spent most of my time hunting reindeer on the tundra that season. 

Ahhh that’s it.  The pools panel. Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, CoF said:

Sportsound this afternoon has rumblings from the SFA that the season is over and to minimise disruption to next season so it's not going to be reconvened. They didn't mention what this meant for titles and relegation and all that however I'd assume European places would be awarded. As much as that would suit us,  with 24 points still left to play for I think it goes in the face of what a fair sporting competition is however I'm struggling to find reasonable alternatives. 

Putting self-interest aside, I'd rather see the remaining 8 games be played as soon as football is playable. That could be accommodated in August / September (assuming football is back) with the 20/21 season then being a reduced 33 game season with each team playing each other 3 times - home, away and at a neutral venue. I can think of a few downsides including teams not being able to plan financially for 20/21, particularly those who may be relegated or promoted, how the transfer window fits into that timetable and how costs with neutral venues would work.

Alternatively, just stick with the 38 game season and go for it - 46 game seasons are played in England so it can be done. That doesn't take away the ending of this season being effectively back to back with the start of next which will be a problem for the relegated team.

For once, I've got sympathy for those at the top trying to work this one out.

The 46 game leagues in England don’t have any teams participating in European competitions. It’s a non-starter. The remainder of this season can’t be played in August/ September for the same reason. The fairest way to do it is to work out the average points total of all teams from the games they’ve played and decide final league placings based on that.

• Like 1

I'd like to think UEFA will provide direction on this as several leagues are affected in the same way but who knows.

Personally I'd like to see the leagues finish over the summer, assuming the euros get delayed a year, even if that means delaying the start of next by a couple months. Big issue would be player contracts though which could get messy.

Every penny is a prisoner in scottish football, and clubs losing out on several home games could be damaging for many. So for the sake of the game I hope some form of resolution along those lines is arrived at.

1 hour ago, GrahamH said:

The 46 game leagues in England don’t have any teams participating in European competitions. It’s a non-starter. The remainder of this season can’t be played in August/ September for the same reason. The fairest way to do it is to work out the average points total of all teams from the games they’ve played and decide final league placings based on that.

Aye right enough. What a mess. 

tbh I'm more worried about the financial implications on the club if income dries up and they dont get any help from the SPL  or they cant claim anything on their insurance (which looks likely).

As a fan I wouldnt be averse to renewing my season ticket right now  if I thought it would help the cash flow and keep folks in a job until things get back to normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, santheman said:

As a fan I wouldnt be averse to renewing my season ticket right now  if I thought it would help the cash flow and keep folks in a job until things get back to normal.

A few asking Alan Burrows that very thing on twitter - he says they're working on it right now. 

1 hour ago, santheman said:

That’s a good idea if you can afford it. I’m self employed and I’m more concerned about being able to just get by. I’ve already had work cancelled due to Covid-19 and it’s only going to get worse.  :(

• Like 1

Assuming any games can be played it would be worth working out how to decide places on a “play-off” type basis. No one can think Celtic will be caught by Rangers or we/Dons will get 2nd so why not Well/Dons play off For 3rd/4th and so on down. Possibly the bottom 4 playing each other in mini-league with current points and goal difference as start.    
Hearts forgo their Scottish cup semi or accept automatic relegation.   

imperfect but may avoid the legal wrangling.  

You think telling Hearts they have to choose between a semi final and their Premiership status will avoid any legal wrangling?

On 3/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, smeddum07 said:

Could easily start with games behind close doors (doesn’t have to be on tv) once the panic calms down. Easily get atleast two games a week only 8 left so that’s only a month left. 

Remember the advice is to delay the peak not to make sure nobody gets it

What happens if half of a teams squad is in self isolation???

Remember chief medical officer says the peak may not happen till mid May so we could still have people self isolating well into June and beyond

Footballers are not immune !!!!!

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

You think telling Hearts they have to choose between a semi final and their Premiership status will avoid any legal wrangling?

Good point.  So just postpone The final 3 Scottish Cup matches until late summer if they can’t be fitted in.  Easiest of all competitions remaining to scrap as well.  

9 minutes ago, purestate said:

Good point.  So just postpone The final 3 Scottish Cup matches until late summer if they can’t be fitted in.  Easiest of all competitions remaining to scrap as well.  

Look the way things are panning out we’ll be lucky to start next season in September 

Let  UEFA make a decision that applies to all member associations and that takes all the petty arguments if everyone does their own thing

Would also preempt any legal challenges

Madrid,PSG, Liverpool,Bayern, Juventus Celtic would be reluctant to take governing body to task for fear of what repercussions could be … not allowed in Champion League

15 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

If I am thinking about the same thing as you (and although I am not 70 I am getting quite close) there was a panel for deciding the results but I think it was for the Pools and was due to a very severe winter. As I say I may not be talking about what you were thinking.

The Pools Panel hasn't stopped, it still decides the outcome of postponed games.

Simple answer is this...

Each team nominates someone who's decent at FIFA on PS4. Games are played in the executive lounge or wherever in each teams stadium, which constitutes a home match.

We have the games streamed live on YouTube for fans to watch, and the teams manager is allowed to sit a few feet away from the players and shout at them while offering encouragement.

Bish bash bosh, season sorted. Who we nominating? Turnbull? He's had a decent amount of time on the couch this season, his FIFA game must be strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simple answer is this...
Each team nominates someone who's decent at FIFA on PS4. Games are played in the executive lounge or wherever in each teams stadium, which constitutes a home match.
We have the games streamed live on YouTube for fans to watch, and the teams manager is allowed to sit a few feet away from the players and shout at them while offering encouragement.
Bish bash bosh, season sorted. Who we nominating? Turnbull? He's had a decent amount of time on the couch this season, his FIFA game must be strong.

I think sherwin will have a bit about him on Fifa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1