Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

23 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've said it before no one should be selling season tickets when it's not even clear if fans can attend games or even when the season will kick off or what the competition format will be.

Then don't buy one. There's no downside to waiting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've said it before no one should be selling season tickets when it's not even clear if fans can attend games or even when the season will kick off or what the competition format will be.

100% agree

Just now, weeyin said:

Then don't buy one. There's no downside to waiting.

I won't be but there is a cynicism and dishonesty in offering them for sale to people when there is the current uncertainty over whether fans can even attend matches.  Are Motherwell making people aware that there is a possibility fans could pay for a season ticket and never see a game?

The season ticket web page doesn't even acknowledge that fans paid for a full season last time and doesn't offer any kind of  discount to previous season ticket holders.  Instead they offer free entry to a match in two competitions that might not even happen.

Don't sell me something when you have no idea if you can deliver or not.

Would you buy a TV, sofa or anything else when you had no idea if the seller could actually supply it?  

I have been very, very loyal to Motherwell for a long, long time.  I am going through, like many people, a very difficult time financially right now and for the foreseeable future.  A little bit of honesty and respect from the club would be nice given the circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm paraphrasing but when the club chairman himself has said in a statement they acknowledge and appreciate the circumstances in which people find themselves and you should only buy if you can afford it I can't see how you can say you are being disrespected or the club is being dishonest. 

• Like 1

The club is not being dishonest at all. It has clearly stated that there is uncertainty. Apart from that virtually everyone  connected with football is well aware of the situation. As long as the uncertainty is made clear then it’s entirely up to fans whether they want to buy a season ticket or not. Does anyone on this forum think they have been deceived by MFC?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

I'm paraphrasing but when the club chairman himself has said in a statement they acknowledge and appreciate the circumstances in which people find themselves and you should only buy if you can afford it I can't see how you can say you are being disrespected or the club is being dishonest. 

If you are selling season tickets (especially full price tickets) it is surely under the proviso that fans can attend those games.  That is dishonest because the club must know that fans, more than likely, will not be allowed into stadiums at the beginning of the season, if not on a longer basis.  I've seen October being banded about assuming there is no significant increase in cases when lock down restrictions are lifted and there isn't a second wave going into the winter months but there are a hell of a lot of unknowns at this stage.  The truth is no one knows when fans will be able to attend football matches again.

As it stands I can't afford and won't be buying a season ticket but nonetheless I think it's morally wrong for the club to sell a product at full price in the knowledge that, almost certainly, they will not be able to provide that product as sold - ie, a full price season ticket.  That's compounded by the League Cup/Uefa Cup offer when it seems extremely unlikely these matches will be played in front of fans, at least on the usual time frame, if at all.

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Does anyone on this forum think they have been deceived by MFC?

If and when the new season kicks off and fans aren't allowed into matches or a the ban is lifted and subsequently another ban comes into place, I guarantee you people will feel deceived.

As previously stated, I've bought mine and the kids, I don't pay into Well society so this is my way to support my club. Personal choice, so if you want to do, if not don't, simples. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Accies are not issuing season tickets for next season. PATG for everyone. Make of that what you will.

that didnt sound like the message their Chairman? gave on radio earlier , he didn't rule out selling season tickets  , just didnt think it  ' fair - at this time '   as there are simply too many unknowns at present, leaving it impossible to say what was being sold......

but when you read their statement it is kind off indeterminate...or confused yet still getting initial message over 'at this time'

We want to absolutely fair to our supporters and have decided, at this point in time, that it is our intention NOT to put season tickets on sale for season 2020/21. Our reasoning behind this decision is simple – there remains various scenarios that could halt the new season or prevent it from running smoothly, and with that in mind we will be adopting a “pay at the turnstiles” policy when supporters are allowed to attend matches again. The backing of our loyal fans is greatly appreciated and we hope that this policy will encourage all of you to support the club as much as possible when the time comes. With regards to the current season it appears that we will not be playing the remaining games and season ticket holders, if they wish, can request a proportional refund on their season books.

Are they the first Scottish Premiership club to effectively break ranks and announce the season over? 

41 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you are selling season tickets (especially full price tickets) it is surely under the proviso that fans can attend those games.  That is dishonest because the club must know that fans, more than likely, will not be allowed into stadiums at the beginning of the season, if not on a longer basis.  I've seen October being banded about assuming there is no significant increase in cases when lock down restrictions are lifted and there isn't a second wave going into the winter months but there are a hell of a lot of unknowns at this stage.  The truth is no one knows when fans will be able to attend football matches again.

As it stands I can't afford and won't be buying a season ticket but nonetheless I think it's morally wrong for the club to sell a product at full price in the knowledge that, almost certainly, they will not be able to provide that product as sold - ie, a full price season ticket.  That's compounded by the League Cup/Uefa Cup offer when it seems extremely unlikely these matches will be played in front of fans, at least on the usual time frame, if at all.

I think as Dave (kmcalpin) has already alluded to I think people are well aware of the situation we find ourselves in and I would be surprised if many, indeed any, have renewed oblivious to  what might transpire over the coming months; or feeling they have been in any way deceived.

Motherwell providing the option to supporter to buy season tickets, having gone to the trouble of explicitly stating that people should buy if they can afford it, is no more dishonest than a holiday company continuing to offer holidays for autumn/winter knowing they might pushed back. Or a clothing retailer sending you emails punting their summer holiday range.  The option is there and it is up the individual to decide what they want to do with those options.

And whilst I accept it isn't an apples to apples comparison let's not forget that many people buy every year without knowing what our fixtures are going to be (as they generally out later in June), when the games will be played, what games will then be subject to movement again for television. In 2015 we actually put our season tickets on sale before we even knew what division we would be playing in the following season! 

Some will buy knowing they won't make all the fixtures but want to ensure they've a seat next to family and friends when they do go. I know of one or two who will barely attend any games but still want to make a contribution to their club. 

In short, there are all sorts of variables that come in to play every year when people buy tickets and people have different reasons for doing so.

As it happens I haven't actually renewed myself as yet as there's a little bit of uncertainty over the good lady's working pattern so I'm also seeing how things stand.  All being I'll get it sorted before the Early Bird expires.  I think it is absolutely right that someone only renews if the circumstances are right for them but calling it dishonest and morally wrong for giving people the option?  Nah, not for me.

• Like 2

I agree with what you've said there Andy_P about the general point of selling season tickets. I bought mine in the spirit of supporting the club without know the full details of what I was actually buying. 

I think ya_bezzer does have a good point though. When the season tickets went on sale a few weeks ago, I think the common thought was that games behind closed doors weren't likely. This meant when football returns so would the fans (or vice versa). Many would have therefore bought tickets expecting to get 18 or so games out of it, they just didn't know when. If we're playing games behind closed doors - which looks increasingly possible, then does each home game come off the ST book? It would be good if the club could follow Hearts example and give a pledge to a minimum number of games.

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was paid off but have set the season ticket money aside out of my redundancy package...I'll be buying heehaw until we get some sort of clarity

For me it is budgeted expenditure, each year I plan to spend £300+ on a season ticket, so the money was there.  I am happy to support the club and see what I get from it.

• it could be streamed football
  • it could be the opportunity to be in a reduced crowd
  • it could be nothing

what else would I spend it on, wine women and song?

At the end of the day it’s a matter of choice with the information in front of you

Nobody is twisting anybody’s arm up their back

I’d rather  buy a season ticket now in the knowledge I might never see a game than have to make the same donation to another “Well worth saving “ campaign in 6 months.

• Like 2

Morals have fuck all to do with this,its a fucking business,if we dont bring in money we go tits up if u cant afford it dont buy it,if u can and want to,buy it,if u think its wrong dont buy it.it all depends on your circumstances,your emotional attachment to the club.only the village idiot would fail to understand the ifs,buts and maybes of next season.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, ropy said:

For me it is budgeted expenditure, each year I plan to spend £300+ on a season ticket, so the money was there.  I am happy to support the club and see what I get from it.

• it could be streamed football
  • it could be the opportunity to be in a reduced crowd
  • it could be nothing

what else would I spend it on, wine women and song?

Probably the impending cost of living, but that's none of my business

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Anyone watching the Bundesliga?  It just seems weird without a crowd

After about 5 minutes I didn't really notice the lack of crowd. Sounded a bit like a 5-aside game at times, but enjoyed watching some live competitive football.

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

Anyone watching the Bundesliga?  It just seems weird without a crowd

Going to our u20s/reserve games has proved a good grounding for watching games with this (lack of) crowd atmosphere!

Don't forget that gate income is much less important to German teams as their TV money is astronomical compared to ours.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Don't forget that gate income is much less important to German teams as their TV money is astronomical compared to ours.

And yet, paradoxically, the scheduling of games in Germany has not been completely screwed by the demands of the television companies. They have also kept admission prices lower and more affordable because they apppreciate that a near full stadium makes for a much better spectacle. There regulations on club ownership are also admirable, although they haven't stopped Bayern having a virtual monopoly on the title. They have got a number of things right in recent years regarding the running of their top league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The African said:

And yet, paradoxically, the scheduling of games in Germany has not been completely screwed by the demands of the television companies. They have also kept admission prices lower and more affordable because they apppreciate that a near full stadium makes for a much better spectacle. There regulations on club ownership are also admirable, although they haven't stopped Bayern having a virtual monopoly on the title. They have got a number of things right in recent years regarding the running of their top league.

The Germans have it pretty much spot on in my opinion when it comes to how football should be.