Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

We've all played 30 games and to be where we are is excellent, the team, management and everyone involved in the club deserve huge credit for that.

Would we have made it to the final game in 3rd, I'm not sure with 2 games against Aberdeen still to play, Rangers twice as well, Celtic, Killie and Livi as well as either Hibs or St Johnstone so not many easy games left between now and the full season.  We would have made 4th though and Celtic or Rangers would have won the cup so we would still have made Europe.

Celtic might have, but Rangers had no chance.

Well done to the players and management team. 

3rd place on our budget and based on pre season predictions is an excellent effort. 

Shame we never got to celebrate at Fir Park. 

Who knows if there will be Europa games to go too - but a few months to pass potentially so fingers crossed. 

Absolutely and fully MERITED. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

No one merited it in my opinion 

Someone has to be third and it may as well be the team in third place, end of.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Correct, we didn't, if we had I'd have been delighted to achieve 3rd on merit rather than  from dodgy dealings 

Even if half a season had been played the team that finished top, with the most points did so on merit, same with second, third, forth. It does not really matter how people feel about it, the stats are the stats.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Correct, we didn't, if we had I'd have been delighted to achieve 3rd on merit rather than  from dodgy dealings 

What was dodgy about calling the league, using the average points per game, a formula nobody has any issue with. We were 3rd on merit when games stopped so whats the problem 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Or we could have found a way to complete the season

Did all 12 Premier League teams not unanimously vote to end the season now?

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Perhaps, but all you can do is all you can do.

13 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

gies peace

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Who merited it more than us?

I see Budge is back in charge of reconstruction plans.

I'm amazed the other clubs haven't been resistant to this.

If I was voting, I'd agree to a 14 team league, but relegate Hearts and promote 3 Championship clubs just to spite her.

Asking Hearts to lead reconstruction plans is a bit like asking Celtic to lead talks on how much money 1st place should receive.

It's a waste of time, the clubs will vote against it again and they'll go down.

48 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I see Budge is back in charge of reconstruction plans.

I'm amazed the other clubs haven't been resistant to this.

I suspect that another vote was the trade off for Hearts not opposing the distribution of residual cash to clubs. Saw something about that on the BBC website.  That then begs the question how Hearts could take legal action when they didn't oppose calling the season with them being relegated. Surely that would weaken any legal argument they may try to make?

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I suspect that another vote was the trade off for Hearts not opposing the distribution of residual cash to clubs. Saw something about that on the BBC website.  That then begs the question how Hearts could take legal action when they didn't oppose calling the season with them being relegated. Surely that would weaken any legal argument they may try to make?

It certainly could be that. I read in the Scotsman before the vote, that clubs were "softening their stance" but that might have been a tactic to get Hearts on board to call the season.

26 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure if I've misunderstood, but Hearts did oppose the season being called? The only vote on this has been the big messy Friday vote which gave the SPFL board the power to call the Premiership. That decision to end the league and relegate hearts was made unanimously on Monday by the board (not the clubs). 

According to the media three of the "top teams" are minded to agree a temporary increase to 14. That's why it is back on the table. But any temporary increase means a return to 12 at some stage. So potentially 3 down 1 up next season. Add in the play off situation and it could be 4 relegated. 4 relegated out of 14 (effectively 12 as OF in no danger) seems a bit too risky to me. Anybody other than the OF would be taking a huge gamble voting for such an arrangement.

To offset that, word is Budge will suggest either a gradual return to 12, or a review after two years to assess how the new 14 team SPL is working. I don't see why any team would vote for any temporary increase without a guarantee of how a return to 12 is to be achieved. Far too risky to enter into such a vague situation. The OF are adamant any change must be temporary. I suspect Sky will have a similar view.

I'm hoping the encouragement given to Hearts was just a sop to get the League closure agreed unanimously and cash distributed. No way should our own Club agree to any arrangement that weakens our own chances of remaining in the SPL, bearing in mind that next season may well see squads depleted across the Division. The only reason reconstruction is being considered in the first place is to rescue a team that won only four league games all season and was bottom of the league for a reason.

Does  any increase in the number of premiership teams not need an 11-1 vote approval from the existing teams, if it does then there is not any prospect of any change. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Not sure if I've misunderstood, but Hearts did oppose the season being called? The only vote on this has been the big messy Friday vote which gave the SPFL board the power to call the Premiership. That decision to end the league and relegate hearts was made unanimously on Monday by the board (not the clubs). 

Its all very convoluted and complicated but it seems that a "vote" of kinds was taken last Friday and the result was 12-0 to call the season.  The SPFL Board did however make the actual decision this week.

29 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Does  any increase in the number of premiership teams not need an 11-1 vote approval from the existing teams, if it does then there is not any prospect of any change. 

Any increase (or decrease) to the League total of 42 Clubs needs 11-1 vote from SPL. Any change to cash shareout per league finishing position also needs an 11-1 SPL vote.

If the total number of teams stays at 42, then a 9-3 SPL vote is enough unless the cash share is changed. The deciding factors are the total number of teams across all Divisions and cash share out.

To make 9-3 enough in SPL, they could go 14-14-14 and keep the same cash payout as at present from 1st placed team all the way down to team finishing 42nd. In effect add teams 13 and 14 to the SPL and also add the 13 and 14 place monies to the SPL pot. So no cash change and total teams across all Divisions remains at 42.

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its all very convoluted and complicated but it seems that a "vote" of kinds was taken last Friday and the result was 12-0 to call the season.  The SPFL Board did however make the actual decision this week.

Just to add to the confusion, I heard at one stage Hearts get a Championship vote and Dundee Utd get the Premiership vote in these things.

Not sure if that is true (and if it is, if it is true for all these kind of votes).