Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

15 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Apparently Hearts having some difficulty with it though. 

Thats their problem the other 41 clubs don't give a shit, we need to move on and ensure all clubs are ready to start on 1st August.

6 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

We have been saved twice in last 35 years due to league reconstruction/ stadium criteria...the year we won the play off v Rangers , we were at this stage one of the worst teams in the league but we got the chance to claw it back , so you be assured Motherwell would’ve fought it , had they been in Heart’s  shoes.

I'm not sure of the relevance of completed league campaigns from previous seasons in our history to the current unprecedented situation.  There's no precedent to suggest how our club might have reacted had we found ourselves in Hearts position.

I don't think you can use two the cases where we were extremely fortunate to stay up through reconstruction/SPL regulations any sort of barometer as to what we might have done.

Leaving aside both were decades ago when Motherwell were due to go down in the mid-eighties it wasn't Bill Dickie, Iain Livingstone, John Chapman or whoever who were the drivers for league reconstruction or threatened to go to court as Ann Budge and Hearts are in this instance.  It wasn't Motherwell who proposed the idea to save themselves.

Similarly it was Falkirk seeking to find a route around the SPL regulations that were in place, not Motherwell trying to wriggle out.  The worst Motherwell might have been accused of was ensuring the regulations in place were adhered to.

I think it is speculative to say with any kind of assurance what Motherwell would have done.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I'm not sure of the relevance of completed league campaigns from previous seasons in our history to the current unprecedented situation.  There's no precedent to suggest how our club might have reacted had we found ourselves in Hearts position.

I don't think you can use two the cases where we were extremely fortunate to stay up through reconstruction/SPL regulations any sort of barometer as to what we might have done.

Leaving aside both were decades ago when Motherwell were due to go down in the mid-eighties it wasn't Bill Dickie, Iain Livingstone, John Chapman or whoever who were the drivers for league reconstruction or threatened to go to court as Ann Budge and Hearts are in this instance.  It wasn't Motherwell who proposed the idea to save themselves.

Similarly it was Falkirk seeking to find a route around the SPL regulations that were in place, not Motherwell trying to wriggle out.  The worst Motherwell might have been accused of was ensuring the regulations in place were adhered to.

I think it is speculative to say with any kind of assurance what Motherwell would have done.

Totally agree. And I'm pretty sure that, on one of the occasions, although we ended up bottom, we weren't actually bottom at the time that the decision was agreed to make the change.

3 minutes ago, WishyWell said:

Totally agree. And I'm pretty sure that, on one of the occasions, although we ended up bottom, we weren't actually bottom at the time that the decision was agreed to make the change.

That's right. The reconstruction decision was made while the league was still in progress. 

And the time we were saved by Falkirk not being promoted due to lack of seating, the rules were in place before the league started and everyone knew the ramifications. 

We didn't get to lead the change in either situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

So EPL going to finish the season? hearts will be asking why can’t SPFL? 

Because there was a unanimous decision by the clubs in the Premier to end the season. 

59 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That's right. The reconstruction decision was made while the league was still in progress. 

And the time we were saved by Falkirk not being promoted due to lack of seating, the rules were in place before the league started and everyone knew the ramifications. 

We didn't get to lead the change in either situation. 

We were saved because Falkirk agreed with Airdrie to groundshare with them whilst TFS was being built.

Except they never thought to check who actually owns the stadium and had the authority to agree to that (clue: it's not Airdrie), and by the time they realised they had asked the wrong people it was too late.

14 minutes ago, Al B said:

We were saved because Falkirk agreed with Airdrie to groundshare with them whilst TFS was being built.

Except they never thought to check who actually owns the stadium and had the authority to agree to that (clue: it's not Airdrie), and by the time they realised they had asked the wrong people it was too late.

Thats about it Al. Falkirk produced a groundsharing agreement and presented it to the SPFL in evidence.  The only problem was that it wasn't signed by North Lanarkshire Council , the stadium owners, or indeed anyone. Despite submitting an unsigned agreement, a minority of clubs, including Hearts, voted to allow Falkirk to gain promotion.

19 minutes ago, Al B said:

Which is ironic as they were spared relegation the season Airdrie were liquidated. 

It doesn't, however, alter the fact that it was the SPL that rejected their application rather than Motherwell leading a reconstruction effort. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats about it Al. Falkirk produced a groundsharing agreement and presented it to the SPFL in evidence.  The only problem was that it wasn't signed by North Lanarkshire Council , the stadium owners, or indeed anyone. Despite submitting an unsigned agreement, a minority of clubs, including Hearts, voted to allow Falkirk to gain promotion.

Think that was the Jim Jeffries connection kicking in 

The SPL didn't allow ground sharing - something all teams were aware of that season. So it was no surprise it was rejected. 

EDIT: BTW, that whole scenario was ridiculous. The seating requirements were over the top (and were thankfully changed in subsequent seasons) and there is no doubt we dodged a bullet that year. But at least they were clear and everyone knew the score before the league campaign started.

6 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

One of the reasons is that the EPL can afford the extensive testing required...

6 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Different governmental timelines in Scotland and England.

12 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

One of the reasons is that the EPL can afford the extensive testing required...

Not only that. Completing the season earns them bucketfuls more SKY money (£430m I think was quoted) which when divided up between the Clubs will more than cover any costs incurred. 
I suspect that if SKY had had even £10m waiting to come our way if all games completed in full, then they would have been. In the SPL anyway.

EPL are only interested in completing the games for financial gain long term. 

Does anyone think we will have reserve football next season?

there is big implications if not, as we will not have a team to bring on youngsters and IF no lower divisions at the beginning of season no way to loan players out, so the whole squad of players of possibility of around 20 odd with no youngsters seeing any competitive football game, so maybe I have answered my own question and say that a sort of reserve games will be played!!

15 hours ago, dennyc said:

Not only that. Completing the season earns them bucketfuls more SKY money (£430m I think was quoted) which when divided up between the Clubs will more than cover any costs incurred. 
I suspect that if SKY had had even £10m waiting to come our way if all games completed in full, then they would have been. In the SPL anyway.

EPL are only interested in completing the games for financial gain long term. 

Aye, I suspect for someone like Liverpool or Man City, the cost they incur to prepare and stage just one closed door game is about as much as some SPFL teams generate in a season. But what they will earn for doing it this way would probably keep us afloat for the next 10 years.

Any word on today's Premiership reconstruction "vote"?  Its all gone quiet. I can't think why.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Any word on today's Premiership reconstruction "vote"?  Its all gone quiet. I can't think why.

Nobody wants to Budge.

• Haha 3

Heres a what if for you all...... once restrictions get relaxed a little more, could we not allow fans in, but spread across the four stands? Our average home attendance is what, 3500 ish? We have a 12000 seater stadium....... sorry, no away fans allowed and Motherwell fans have to register in advance, get allocated an area and a seat, no if's buts or maybes. No mingling, no fannying about.

Not ideal and the organising and policing of it might cost more than its worth but it would allow us to see the game and no doubt piss off 2 clubs in particular......

Obviously this can't happen in phase 1 of reopening, but maybe as we progress through the stages?

I expect we might see some kind of iteration of this in the wealthier leagues long before we get back to football.

Oh and to get back on topic - fuck Hearts!

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

Heres a what if for you all...... once restrictions get relaxed a little more, could we not allow fans in, but spread across the four stands? Our average home attendance is what, 3500 ish? We have a 12000 seater stadium....... sorry, no away fans allowed and Motherwell fans have to register in advance, get allocated an area and a seat, no if's buts or maybes. No mingling, no fannying about.

That may be necessary anyway Stall, after being stuck in the house for a while, and the combination of a lack of exercise and more drinking, I'm worried I might not be able to fit in to my seat now. In fact I may struggle with the turnstile too.

Might have to lockdown my mouth for a while and get some walking done to be fit for the new season.

• Like 1

Today's Scotsman has an interesting piece about who, in theory, will gain or lose their home advantage in closed door games. They looked at average points won at home vs average points won away from home for the Premiership and Championship teams last season. The theory being that the bigger the differential between the two the more of a home advantage you give up in a closed door games. This was based on a study that showed when there are no spectators home advantage almost completely vanishes, and is backed up by the recent Bundesliga results where 17 of the 35 games have been won by the away team and only 8 won by the home team.

We were the only team with a negative points differential (meaning we averaged more points away from home than we did at home). So if the theory is to be believed, closed door games should be to our benefit compared to the other teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52903945

Scottish Premiership clubs can stream games & sell virtual tickets

By David Currie

BBC Scotland

8 minutes ago

From the sectionScottish Premiership

Clubs will be able to stream matches on their own channels

Scottish Premiership clubs will be able to live stream matches and sell virtual season tickets after a deal was struck with Sky Sports.

The SPFL have also reached a settlement with Sky - believed to be £1.5m over five years - for games that were not broadcast when last term was curtailed.

Top-flight campaign is scheduled to start on 1 August behind closed doors.

Sky's £160m, five-year deal allows them to show 48 games each season, but all other matches can be streamed by clubs.

Each team will be able to sell a package to season-ticket holders enabling them to watch home games.

"This is an innovative and pragmatic solution to the challenges posed by Covid-19 and I'm grateful for the flexibility shown by our clubs and by Sky Sports," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"This agreement means that any liability for games not delivered during Season 2019/20 has now been settled, on terms that reflect Sky's status as a committed partner and supporter of Scottish football."

The Scottish FA will lift football's suspension on 11 June, allowing clubs to resume non-contact group training.

4 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Each team will be able to sell a package to season-ticket holders enabling them to watch home games

That's a depressing statement. If fans have paid for a season ticket for home games they can now sell them an additional package to watch those games online.

The spirit of the season ticket sale message recently was that supporters would not be disadvantaged.  I'm fairly sure that if you have committed to a season ticket you'll be given access to any club stream and won't have to purchase a separate package to see streamed games.

2 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

The spirit of the season ticket sale message recently was that supporters would not be disadvantaged.  I'm fairly sure that if you have committed to a season ticket you'll be given access to any club stream and won't have to purchase a separate package to see streamed games.

Hope so too. Too add to that, you’d hope that the clubs (and the TV companies) can agree that season ticket holders for both home and away teams can get a free stream. That could give all clubs a boost to season ticket sales in the short term, just when they probably need it. But then again, those running our game haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Personally all for it but free for season ticket holders and at a cost for those without ones, more money to be made that way.