Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

1 minute ago, Stu said:

@weeyin, my point wasn't about reconstruction or believing in it.  I thought I was fairly clear in suggesting it's only being mooted as a way to save Hearts.  I don't believe for a second anyone would be making such a song and dance 'standing up' for the Particks and Keltys if St Mirren were the team in 12th place and not Hearts.

And my point wasn't just about this reconstruction but the inequality gap, the 11-1 vote, the need to have four Old Firm games, the... Ach, I'm not going to list them all here.

I'm missing the point of Aberdeen winning the league in the 80s unless you're trying to suggest things are cyclical and the New Firm's time of dominance is coming soon?!

I'm not sure I said any of that. I was mainly just answering your question about if "Is there any conceivable way that Motherwell fans join with St Mirren fans and Ross County fans and Elgin fans and Peterhead fans and Dunfermline fans (and so on) to put pressure on our boards and collectively say "Enough is enough"? "

And I'd say there isn't, due to the aforementioned support of the OF from a significant number of club directors and chairmen around the country.

Let's say our entire board were secretly rampant Rangers fans, you don't think there is anything our fan base could do to make them stand up to the Old Firm?

(That's not a rhetorical question, by the way.  I'm interested in your opinion here.)

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Let's say our entire board were secretly rampant Rangers fans, you don't think there is anything our fan base could do to make them stand up to the Old Firm?

(That's not a rhetorical question, by the way.  I'm interested in your opinion here.)

Other than making the fans' views clear to the Executive Board via the Supervisory Board (or whatever the structure is these days), I'm not sure we'd have much power other than to keep our money in our pockets. Of course, if they were any good at being secretly rampant fans we would never know about it anyway ;) 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Can assure you their all rampant Motherwell fans 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

It’s not the case so rest easy. However if that was the case they could be removed via the Society. Remember fans own our club.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

As we're Society owned, I imagine if we could get enough support, we could push out the Board in our capacity as owners and shareholders- although I'm not very familiar with the rules and regs, so not sure about the mechanics of that. 

9 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I've always found the way that TV money and coverage is dealt with pretty unfair, and wished our club and others showed more resistance against it.

I don't know the specifics of how the money gets split but I would imagine the OF get the bulk seeing as it is them that brings the subscriptions in and are most frequently on live. This I have no problem with. What I take umbrage with is that, in my 15-ish years as a fan (ST holder for all but 2) I can't think of an occasion where a home game against the OF has kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday.  Yes we get exposure and some TV money, but at the expense of reduced home gates and home fan inconvenience. To me it just seems incredibly unfair, especially given OF fans are never inconvenienced in this way while at the same time are also pocketing all of the TV money from their own in-house TV channels.

This might seem like a minor thing, but surely is something that should be getting discussed as part of any future reconstruction? If we're talking about what is fair and best for Scottish football, how is the current scenario (two teams pocket bulk of money, supplement with additional money that is not shared with other clubs, fans of all other clubs inconvenienced, lost match day revenue for all other clubs, etc, etc) working for anyone outwith the OF? 

The TV money is split based on league position, there is no direct relationship with how many of your games are covered.

As it happens the top 2 get most of the money and the coverage.  When we finished 2nd we had previously agreed to reduce that prize money and disperse it down the league.

10 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I've always found the way that TV money and coverage is dealt with pretty unfair, and wished our club and others showed more resistance against it.

I don't know the specifics of how the money gets split but I would imagine the OF get the bulk seeing as it is them that brings the subscriptions in and are most frequently on live. This I have no problem with. What I take umbrage with is that, in my 15-ish years as a fan (ST holder for all but 2) I can't think of an occasion where a home game against the OF has kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday.  Yes we get exposure and some TV money, but at the expense of reduced home gates and home fan inconvenience. To me it just seems incredibly unfair, especially given OF fans are never inconvenienced in this way while at the same time are also pocketing all of the TV money from their own in-house TV channels.

This might seem like a minor thing, but surely is something that should be getting discussed as part of any future reconstruction? If we're talking about what is fair and best for Scottish football, how is the current scenario (two teams pocket bulk of money, supplement with additional money that is not shared with other clubs, fans of all other clubs inconvenienced, lost match day revenue for all other clubs, etc, etc) working for anyone outwith the OF? 

At the end of the day our football would not be televised if fans didn't subscribe to packages. Ordinary fans could put an end to this if they so wished, but they don't. You pays your money you takes your choice.

• Like 1

Nothing on next season other than a September start after this season's competitions are concluded in August. At what stage we'll start though isn't clear and personally I still have a concern that UEFA will pull an abbreviated format out the hat and the chaff like us will sent on our way with some kind of monetary compensation at best. With the European Championships next summer and places still to be determined for that, the commencement of the new Nations League schedule and this season's European competitions to be concluded unless they go with one leg ties for the earlier rounds it might be a struggle to fit all UEFA's competitions in around domestic schedules, although I'm sure UEFA don't give a toss about that and would be happy to leave leagues to sort that mess out themselves as long as their competitions took priority.

I'd love to see us just go back to straight knockout for the entirety of this season's competition, but I expect the big teams will insist on their groups.

So the 14-14-14 Hearts proposal and 14-14-18 Rangers proposal both rejected.

The SPFL now going to try again with a 14-10-10-10 proposal.

The spirit of Robert The Bruce really is alive and well.

15 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

They look to be desperate to keep Hearts up one way or another. I can see the latest plan being accepted.

16 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

You couldn’t make this up. Just hold a vote irrespective of the likely outcome and be done with it. Is this connected to the cash donation?

I can't imagine that a 3m donation to the league from a Hearts fan came with no strings attached.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

I can't imagine that a 3m donation to the league from a Hearts fan came with no strings attached.

Maybe not, but I can't imagine Premiership teams voting to split TV money and prize money 14 ways instead of 12.

11 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Of course it did, "Neil get any reconstruction proposal you like that increases the premiership to 14 voted through,and the cash is yours" was probably what Budge said.

Its a disgrace that given all the current issues the game in Scotland is facing, trying to get clubs back to training safely etc, that the SPFL is even considering this pish, no wonder the governance of the game is a shambles.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Have MFC said anything publicly about 12 Vs 14?

Good question … … … Silence is deafening 

This whole Old Firm B side thing just needs to be thrown off a high cliff with an anvil tied round it's neck.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Good question … … … Silence is deafening 

There was more consulatation the last time they tried this and we weren't fan owned.

I think the directors  are probably too close to the SPFL board to properly represent the Society. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This whole Old Firm B side thing just needs to be thrown off a high cliff with an anvil tied round it's neck.

Pointless trying something that has been successfully tried in Spain etc, what do they know?

Not all these young players would end up playing for of....if they don’t go all the way, teams like mfc May benefit...doesn’t mean they are bad players

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Pointless trying something that has been successfully tried in Spain etc, what do they know?

Not all these young players would end up playing for of....if they don’t go all the way, teams like mfc May benefit...doesn’t mean they are bad players

Celtic for the last few years have loaned out lots of players to lower league teams.  Rangers have also done it although perhaps not so much.  

Introducing B teams would therefore reduce the number of higher end loan players available to lower league clubs.  

Secondly it would introduce an uneven level of competition at the lower level.  At a level of football where most clubs are attracting 500 - 800 fans then both Rangers and Celtic could throw pocket change at their B sides and completely warp the integrity of the leagues.

Thirdly it would make a mockery of our league system if teams winning leagues weren't promoted or teams were promoted without being champions or even runners up.

With all due respect Spain has something like 140+ professional or semi professional teams and a regionally organised third tier.  It's has a completely  different set up and history.

• Like 3

The OF sucks enough out of our game and takes the lion's share of our revenue. Why should we extend their advantage by allowing them to develop players in the lower league? Why shouldn't Motherwell, Accies,  and other Project Brave teams be allowed Colt teams too?

And let's not forget, the other main reason the OF wants Colt teams is because they still harbour ambitions of leaving the Scottish league, but maintaining a presence so they can have their sectarian cake and feast on its bigoted icing.

• Like 3