Jump to content

Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Does anyone know are the players still at training , or where are the players if not,  with no social media on them I take it they are all just staying at home and awaiting on the guidelines from SPFL  if the season is officially over just on another mid season break, must be very frustrating for players as if they are on an enforced break, what do they do? They certainly cannot go on any holidays!

 

They are working from home... I don't think it'll be long until we see Richard Tait doing laps of his living room on Instagram 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Does anyone know are the players still at training , or where are the players if not,  with no social media on them I take it they are all just staying at home and awaiting on the guidelines from SPFL  if the season is officially over just on another mid season break, must be very frustrating for players as if they are on an enforced break, what do they do? They certainly cannot go on any holidays!

 

Clubs have no option but to ensure their employees adhere to the current national guidelines on social distancing and self isolation. As suggested by PM, the measures will become more stringent in the days ahead if the spread of the virus fails to slow. Significant time needs to be bought for engineers from other industries to build thousands of ventilators, medical staff from other specialties to be trained in intensive care and respiratory disease and undergraduate doctors, nurses, other health professionals to be potentially fast-tracked. 
 

My unprofessional opinion is that unless there is a shift in national moral values on saving those most vulnerable, we are in this for a very long time - the Govt scientific advisors working tirelessly in the background are implying that this would be until a vaccine is found, tested and distributed (12-18 months at best). Now during this period there may be a pattern of pressing and lifting the brakes on the stringent measures aligned to rate of growth, economic performance and nhs capacity. With that in mind, competitive sport looks to be miles off and clubs like any other business, will need to do their best to pick up the pieces if and when relative normality returns. 
 

Ive been accused of pant wetting on this thread but everything is being done to save a loved one in the vast majority of families across the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

My unprofessional opinion is that unless there is a shift in national moral values on saving those most vulnerable, we are in this for a very long time - the Govt scientific advisors working tirelessly in the background are implying that this would be until a vaccine is found, tested and distributed (12-18 months at best). Now during this period there may be a pattern of pressing and lifting the brakes on the stringent measures aligned to rate of growth, economic performance and nhs capacity. With that in mind, competitive sport looks to be miles off and clubs like any other business, will need to do their best to pick up the pieces if and when relative normality returns. 

Might have been the same guy I heard on BBC Radio 5 yesterday morning - I never caught his name, sorry - but he said exactly that. He said that at present, there doesn't seem to be any "exit strategy" for all of the controls currently being implemented, saying that in Wuhan, China, there has been a full lockdown since 23rd January, but all the current scientific models seem to show that when the isolation period is relaxed, the virus will simply flare up again to previous levels. He also implied that this is the way he sees it being until there is a global vaccine available to combat the virus. Unfortunately, I think we're in for marathon rather than a sprint here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Might have been the same guy I heard on BBC Radio 5 yesterday morning - I never caught his name, sorry - but he said exactly that. He said that at present, there doesn't seem to be any "exit strategy" for all of the controls currently being implemented, saying that in Wuhan, China, there has been a full lockdown since 23rd January, but all the current scientific models seem to show that when the isolation period is relaxed, the virus will simply flare up again to previous levels. He also implied that this is the way he sees it being until there is a global vaccine available to combat the virus. Unfortunately, I think we're in for marathon rather than a sprint here.

I never caught that article, but is that not the “plan” in UK...I.e to stagger the illness , in order for medics to cope , as opposed to a large number getting it at same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

That article tells me that they must be on a very shaky financial footing , to make a statement like that after 1 week without a game ffs. I think its Budge realising they are going down and trying to offload the high earners quickly, but including all club staff tells me they have problems down Gorgie way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That article tells me that they must be on a very shaky financial footing , to make a statement like that after 1 week without a game ffs. I think its Budge realising they are going down and trying to offload the high earners quickly, but including all club staff tells me they have problems down Gorgie way.

I’ve heard it could signal the end for Hearts. Ordinary fans have no more money to give due to the uncertainty of Covid-19 and I suspect other clubs will follow soon. Worrying times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange because they have a high percentage of season ticket holders so they won't be losing much gate money.

Budge is probably just applying the techniques that made her a multi millionaire. Why pay people more than you have to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spiderpig said:

That article tells me that they must be on a very shaky financial footing , to make a statement like that after 1 week without a game ffs. 

Agreed Allan. More to this than meets the eye. They must have some wage bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agreed Allan. More to this than meets the eye. They must have some wage bill.

I suspect Rangers could have a similar problem, stay tuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredibly distasteful from Hearts, jumping on a pandemic to try and ease their own financial mismanagement. I’ve lost any ‘sympathy’ I had for them should they be relegated on current standings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being funny but do clubs asking the fans for money think we have suddenly all became millionaires overnight?Alot of us are in the same boat not on 200,000 grand a year,most folk right now are struggling right now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5405817/motherwell-alan-burrows-coroanvirus-survival-42-clubs-spfl/

FIGHT TOGETHER Coronavirus Scotland: Motherwell chief Alan Burrows says survival of all 42 league clubs is a priority
EXCLUSIVE
Andy Devlin
19 Mar 2020, 22:31
ALAN BURROWS has urged Scottish football fans to unite in a bid to ensure all 42 league clubs survive the coronavirus lockdown.

Less than 24 hours after Hearts asked all staff to take a whopping 50 percent pay cut, the Motherwell chief executive and SPFL board member laid bare his fears amid these unprecedented times.

The majority of clubs in Scotland are facing an uncertain financial future with matches scrapped and leagues in limbo.

SPFL CEO Neil Doncaster has already appealed for government intervention in a bid to stave off the very real threat of Armageddon and Burrows has pleaded with punters to put aside their differences and unite for the greater good.

He said: “One of the things I have been saying, and it’s one of the main priorities as far as I am concerned, is that we must ensure when this has all blown over that all 42 clubs are still here.

“There has been so much talk about final league placings and the ramifications of that. But right now we need to get everyone through this.

“We need to help those clubs who need it and stop, perhaps, obsessing about ourselves and our own team.

“But, of course, we need to get some clarity on what happens next.

“If that’s it and the season is to end here, then we can at least start distributing the money so at least clubs can start to plan ahead.

“Fans always back their team, no matter what, but right now I think every club in the country needs their supporters to go that extra mile for them, particularly in the lower leagues.

“It’s going to be very difficult for a lot of clubs. They will need help, for sure.”

Motherwell banked £1.5million from the sale of James Scott just prior to the closure of the January transfer window.

Having also paid back John Boyle and Les Hutchinson in full, the Fir Park club is completely debt free.

But that hasn’t stopped Burrows and his dedicated team rolling out next year’s season tickets now in an effort to ease any cashflow concerns.

He confessed: “This is uncharted territory. It’s very difficult to look ahead and plan and prepare. One thing we are working on right now is season tickets.

“We are trying to get them out for next season as soon as possible because obviously the cashflow situation isn’t going to improve in the coming weeks.

“The earlier we get the season tickets out there the better and hopefully our fans can get behind that because it will help the club massively in the short term.

“We are the only fan-owned team in the Premiership, so by very definition our fans are the core of our club. The earlier we get the money in the better.”

Like every other football fan in the country, Burrows is hoping for clarity sooner rather than later.

Yet he reckons it’s increasingly unlikely the current season will be played to a conclusion.

He said: “I think we would all like the football issues that are still outstanding to be settled on the pitch.

“That goes for all sports, you want it settled on the field or between the athletes.

“If we are being honest, and given what the scientists are telling us what to expect over the coming months, I think that scenario becomes less likely.

“It won’t be impossible, but I think it will be very difficult. If that is to arise then we need certainty and we need it quickly.

“Right now clubs up and down the country are in limbo because of the uncertainty.

“I am saying to you about pushing forward our season ticket sales, but what if you are CEO at a club and you’re not sure what division you will be playing in next season?

“How do you sell that to supporters?

“Clubs need to be given the chance to plan accordingly. We need clarity and the earlier the better so we can start planning for next season.

“I fully understand there’s a global crisis at the moment and football is only a very small part of that.

“But football is a £1.25billion business as far as Scotland is concerned. That’s what it brings to our economy, it’s part of Scottish society and our psyche.

“Football is a way of life in Scotland. And I would hope that the government take that into consideration.”

But, like most people, he’s been working from home with only a skeleton staff present at the ground.

He revealed: “In terms of what we’re doing as a club, we’re basically adhering to the guidelines set out by the government.

“Most people are working from home, we have one or two people still in at the club, but they are working in separate rooms.

“They are basically in to answer the phones. We have set up a rota system, but everyone else, including the football staff, are working from home.

“I think I am annoying people with the amount of emails I have been sending but, at a small club like Motherwell, it is very much hands on, not just with me, but with everyone who works at the club.

“Everyone mucks in. Working from home just makes life that bit more difficult. But you have to adapt.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearts are totally buggered because they let a clown like Levin in to run the club ,then advising them , then managing their team. Deserves them right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should pull out all the stops to get the big supermarket chains to pump some money into sponsoring the leagues

Going by the amount of empty shelves they must have made a feckin fortune in the last 2 weeks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't bothered with a Season Ticket for the past couple of years but I'll definitely get one when they are released to support the club through the spring and summer so hopefully we can get back to playing this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I haven't bothered with a Season Ticket for the past couple of years but I'll definitely get one when they are released to support the club through the spring and summer so hopefully we can get back to playing this year. 

Absolutely. We stopped getting season tickets as we were missing enough games to make it cheaper to PATG over the course of the year, but although that's still the case we will most definitely be picking them up this time round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, santheman said:

I think we should pull out all the stops to get the big supermarket chains to pump some money into sponsoring the leagues

Going by the amount of empty shelves they must have made a feckin fortune in the last 2 weeks

They have fuelled panic buying to boost their profits when they could have nipped it in the bud. Heartened by folks committing to buying season tickets. I'll be renewing early. Hopefully a few more will join the Society and current members contribute a little more. A difficult time for many though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna get a season ticket too and hopefully that'll mean I bother to get along to FP more often and not only go when we are playing Panathanaikos and the like... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Gonna get a season ticket too and hopefully that'll mean I bother to get along to FP more often and not only go when we are playing Panathanaikos and the like... 

Dont think there's a supporters bus that runs from the Vegas tables Gaz :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering should we play Summer football when everything is getting back to normal do you all think crowds would be up?I could honestly see better crowds all across the board as folks want just to be outside enjoying life again properly.But let's be honest it could be a roaring success and the powers of be would still stick head in sand and go nah cant have that,that be too much of a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stv said:

Hearts are totally buggered because they let a clown like Levin in to run the club ,then advising them , then managing their team. Deserves them right. 

Yep, goes well beyond Levein though. I've got sympathy for the Hearts support - imagine spending a fortune following your team (as we all do), bailing out your club when they almost fold then watch as they squander millions upon millions operating a rotating door transfer policy. Since the fans came to their rescue they've consistently had one of the biggest squads and highest turnover of players. It's a scandal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas why the SPFL can't distribute the minimum prize money to every club just now? Every club in the premiership is due just over a million. Apply that across the leagues and there's a hefty injection of cash for every club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×