Spiderpig

Season suspended till further notice

50 minutes ago, CoF said:

Any ideas why the SPFL can't distribute the minimum prize money to every club just now? Every club in the premiership is due just over a million. Apply that across the leagues and there's a hefty injection of cash for every club. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that they do for the top six. It seems that, at the split, they distribute to the the top 6 teams the prize money for the 6th placed team.  At the end of the season they give the top 5 clubs the extra placing money that they're due and give the bottom six clubs their money in full. 

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Any ideas why the SPFL can't distribute the minimum prize money to every club just now? Every club in the premiership is due just over a million. Apply that across the leagues and there's a hefty injection of cash for every club. 

The TV companies are probably trying to wriggle out of paying.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The TV companies are probably trying to wriggle out of paying.

That's what I had heard.  TV companies saying they don't pay out until the season is finished.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

That's what I had heard.  TV companies saying they don't pay out until the season is finished.

The EPL will hopefully call their bluff and say they pay in full or they go to Amazon or even a direct service. Then we get our cash as well. 

Sky desperately need football. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51987591

Motherwell CEO Alan Burrows says club are in "good shape" to deal with coronavirus pandemic

Sharethis page
Fir Park shutters
Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows admits it is "optimistic" to expect the league season to be completed by the Uefa deadline of June

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows says it is "optimistic at best" to expect Scottish domestic football to be finished by June.

But he is confident his fan-owned club are in a good financial position to deal with the impact of coronavirus, despite admitting matters could get "very difficult, very quickly".

Scottish football has been suspended until at least April 30.

"We've managed finances well over the last couple of years," he said.

"In reality for us though, whilst we see ourselves in relatively good shape to get through it, it only takes one or two things to fall for us, for things to get very difficult very quickly.

"That not withstanding, I'm confident in the supporter base, the Well society, and extremely confident in the guys that run the club to help us get through this issue."

Burrows, who is on the SPFL board, says the decision on how to proceed with the domestic season will be taken after there is "clarity" from the government.

He admits league payments on placings could "keep clubs afloat" in the summer.

"If we're being realistic, we've got to understand having the season completed before the end of June, which is the deadline for the domestic fixtures to be complete by Uefa, is very optimistic," he told Sportsound.

"It's all going to depend on circumstance. A lot of the SPFL payments are determined on where you finish. Maybe those payments are the raft that keeps clubs afloat in the summer.

"There are a lot of really tough decisions to be made, but at this moment in time, we need to wait for the next week or two to hopefully get clarity from government in terms of what's going to happen, then really difficult work begins to decide what we're going to do here in terms of playing out the season or if it is finished, how it is decided."

I doubt there will be any football in August. Maybe by the new year, but no way will this be over by August. Even if it’s calmed down they will not be wanting big crowds gathering for a long long time.

13 minutes ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

This is shite, innit. 

MFC TV has an archive of our full match streamed games going all the way back to Sep 2018.  Time to start digging in I think.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, weeyin said:

MFC TV has an archive of our full match streamed games going all the way back to Sep 2018.  Time to start digging in I think.

Are you a masochist? There will be a lot of horrific and dire shite in there!

10 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Are you a masochist? There will be a lot of horrific and dire shite in there!

Spoiler Alert - I know which games we won and played well in,

When watching the hearts game I noticed that they had classic match highlights at half time, and pretty sure they had scheduled classic matches on the channel (they also showed highlights of the women’s game during half time which I thought was a good idea).

We do have some good YouTube resources for old stuff, and some of us have a bunch of DVDs, but I wonder what the barriers would be to MFC putting old stuff up on the site.

I personally cannot see any football going ahead until the end of the year, probably next year at this rate.  Let's look where we are today.  The virus is accelerating now and due to peak around June.  We then have to have it drop off again, it won't just vanish in June and stop.  We will all be in full lock down by then,  expect no movement between major cities etc. Cases will slow down because if this, however measures will then be to gradually let people get back into society in very limited ways.  

Football?  No chance, even behind close doors as players have families and even 1 player going down means full isolation again for a squad.  It's not pant wetting it's fact.

The only thing that will get us out of this are anti virals to treat the virus when infected or a vaccine, who knows how long this will take.

I would not be surprised to see Season 20/21 scrapped also, as the last thing they want is to have half a season of football and what we will see are competitive friendlies and maybe mini leagues to get things up and running.  

I know there will be people calling shite on this, however I would love to be proven wrong, but cannot see it at all.

The authorities will be forced to call the league and award prize money when they see there is no chance of it resuming.  As for FIFA/UEFA, greedy bastards would see us all struggle whilst their gravy train hits the buffers...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

The authorities will be forced to call the league and award prize money when they see there is no chance of it resuming. 

And then the lawsuits begin from every team that might have been promoted, but wasn't, and every team that might not have been relegated, but was, and every team that might have won the league, but didn't etc. etc.

1 hour ago, si91 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52047550

clubs to start getting their payments from the league; a nice lift for the club by the look of it, and hopefully will help with the coming weeks/ months

The club have been  paid the 3rd place finish money of £359, 000 so I hope this means they have accepted the league can't be finished  and we finish as it stands now, and all that entails ie Europe etc.

The lawyers at Ibrox, Pitoddrie and Tynecastle  are sharpening their pencils as we speak, it will make interesting viewing post lockdown. 

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The club have been  paid the 3rd place finish money of £359, 000 so I hope this means they have accepted the league can't be finished  and we finish as it stands now, and all that entails ie Europe etc.

The lawyers at Ibrox, Pitoddrie and Tynecastle  are sharpening their pencils as we speak, it will make interesting viewing post lockdown. 

Celtic and Rangers also got £395,000 so I don't think it means much from that perspective.

4-12 all got £157,500.

My prediction is the season will be void and there will be no European competitions next season. They will possibly try and finish this seasons. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

And then the lawsuits begin from every team that might have been promoted, but wasn't, and every team that might not have been relegated, but was, and every team that might have won the league, but didn't etc. etc.

Let's be realistic, the courts are not going to have any truck with clubs moaning blah blah blah.  It's a public health emergency and this will supersede the shite they come out with.  The rule book is there to be used by the authorities and will be.  We are starting to see this today with the money.  

Could be wrong, but my reading of that is those are standard payments given out every season in April and this doesn't in any way reflect a decision on final league placings. 

Just now, CoF said:

Could be wrong, but my reading of that is those are standard payments given out every season in April and this doesn't in any way reflect a decision on final league placings. 

More or less right. The payments do however reflect the fact that Celtic, Sevco and ourselves cannot finish in the bottom 6.

9 hours ago, Suprawell said:

Let's be realistic, the courts are not going to have any truck with clubs moaning blah blah blah.  It's a public health emergency and this will supersede the shite they come out with.  The rule book is there to be used by the authorities and will be.  We are starting to see this today with the money.  

Doesn't matter what the eventual result is, it will tie up the courts and the authorities for far too long. As for the money today, that was coming anyway. Hearts being relegated or Dundee Utd not being promoted after the millions they spent is guaranteed to generate 20 different law suits. Their survival might depend on it.

The obvious and least unfair way to sort it, of course, is use the first 4 or 5 weeks of whenever we can start playing again to play out the remaining league games. Once that is sorted, there can be a modified new season (with less games, extra mid weeks, no league cup, extended or whatever we need) for one season only. That way everyone will know ahead of time what the format will be and everyone starts on the same footing.  Sporting integrity and all that.

The only hurdle there is working out how to handle the transfer window, but that will need to be dealt with anyway - assuming we can't play any games until after the summer.

9 hours ago, Suprawell said:

I think you're wrong here. With the money that kicks about in football, I'd be astonished if things are settled quietly. This is the type of shit that the Court of Arbitration for Sport exists for.  I imagine they'll be expecting plenty of blah blah coming their way once normal life returns. Aye, it's a public health emergency however there's a range of options to how the leagues are settled. Some clubs will benefit, some will lose out. Some leagues may make unnecessary decisions that are also grossly unfair. Clubs will want to challenge that. 

On 3/18/2020 at 7:22 AM, 0Neils40yarder said:

They are working from home... I don't think it'll be long until we see Richard Tait doing laps of his living room on Instagram 

I see that's started now, not quite laps of his living room but the Home Workout with Richard Tait started yesterday according to the Club Twitter.

Good prediction.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

I see that's started now, not quite laps of his living room but the Home Workout with Richard Tait started yesterday according to the Club Twitter.

Good prediction.

Hopefully he remembers he is a footballer and not a weightlifter/crossfitter! I think his dip in form was definitely down to too much non football training. 

Having him back on form recently was a big boost. Hopefully he gets a new contract sorted.