91 CUP FINAL

grizzlyg

Hi Folks

Hope you are well and staying safe and sticking to the guidelines in place.   Just a wee note to say that the BBC SCOTLAND channel is showing the 91 cup final in its entirety on Sunday from 7.15pm.   Means I will need to record Antiques Roadshow now!!  COYWWWWWWW

• Like 1

Hampden Park 18th of May 1991 watching us lift the Scottish cup and the Olympic stadium in Athens on  8th of August 2012 for our 1st champions league away tie my two proudest moments as a well fan, happy days.  Can't believe the cup win was 29 years ago.

• Like 1

I was at the final arrived 15 minutes late as I was in the train stuck at airbles but managed to get out up the hill and taxi straight into hampden . It's the first time I e ever seen it in full and it was good to see how good the game was again . I remember how quiet the well fans were at the start of extra time we were drained.  I have to comment how good Jim Griffin was possibly nijholt as well he could put a good dig in. After the game I was back shift so couldn't even get a drink

I was only 8 back in 91 so i dont remember a great deal from being at the game or the day in general but the one thing i do remember was my rangers supporting pal begging to be stevie kirk when we went for a kick about out in the street later that night :lol:.i never get tired of watching the final,seeing darren jackson greeting like a big lassie when he went up for his medal is a particular delight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight.

I must admit enjoying the referees performance. Some really meaty challenges going in from both sides but he kept control of the game and stopped it from boiling over without being over fussy and brandishing cards galore. Just wouldnt happen nowadays.

I had also forgotten what a good game Jimmy Griffen had. Quite a battle between him and Bowman and at times McInally, but he more than held his own and would have been my MoM if it hadnt been for the heroics of Ally Maxwell.

Looking at our team now, other than David Turnbull, are there any of our current players that would get in the 91 team?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight.

I must admit enjoying the referees performance. Some really meaty challenges going in from both sides but he kept control of the game and stopped it from boiling over without being over fussy and brandishing cards galore. Just wouldnt happen nowadays.

I had also forgotten what a good game Jimmy Griffen had. Quite a battle between him and Bowman and at times McInally, but he more than held his own and would have been my MoM if it hadnt been for the heroics of Ally Maxwell.

Looking at our team now, other than David Turnbull, are there any of our current players that would get in the 91 team?

Gallagher and Campbell

They wouldnt be far away but McCart and Paterson were good centre halves. In fact Paterson quite similar in style to Gallagher and just as good in the air.

Campbell would be there or there abouts, but would struggle to dislodge a fit Colin ONeill. O'Donnell and Angus in the centre were different kinds of players so maybe an unfair comparison there.

I wondered about the goalkeepers. Maxy was outstanding for us for 3 seasons. Gillespie and Carson are both very good, would they challenge him for no1 jersey?

Posed the question to some mates  last night ( remotely of course) ....Did they think the standard in general was better, same or worse than now......the ones who got back to me thought we played more football on deck now.....I tend to agree , after watching again last night, surprised how many long balls were played.Not complaining mind you.

i thought the standout players for both teams were Phil for us and John ONeil for them, wonder why he never went further.

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's been fun watching the retro 90's rules where you can pass the ball back for the keeper to pick up and assault the keeper in mid-air without getting a foul against you.

Clark was solid and didn’t hold back and obviously did Maxi a lot of harm, but I don’t think there was any malicious intent there....prob a foul tho....all worked out in the end

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Clark was solid and didn’t hold back and obviously did Maxi a lot of harm, but I don’t think there was any malicious intent there....prob a foul tho....all worked out in the end

I didn't suggest it was intentional - but it was 100% a foul and 100% a yellow card even in the 90s. Even then keepers received more than generous protection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I've watched this time and again over the years and Clark clearly intended to batter Maxi as he turned around to protect himself just before he slammed into him.  A clear foul. Did he intend to very seriously injure him? I doubt it.