91 CUP FINAL

grizzlyg

On 3/30/2020 at 1:01 PM, Great Balls of Shire said:

Posed the question to some mates  last night ( remotely of course) ....Did they think the standard in general was better, same or worse than now......the ones who got back to me thought we played more football on deck now.....I tend to agree , after watching again last night, surprised how many long balls were played.Not complaining mind you.

i thought the standout players for both teams were Phil for us and John ONeil for them, wonder why he never went further.

First time I’ve watched the game in full since approx 92 and if I’m honest, there was a great deal less football played than I remember. In fact, both teams were pretty poor.

What was pleasing was showing my son just how many home grown players were in that squad. John O’Neill’s half time substitution made a huge difference for them and I hadn’t realised that he been formerly Fir Park Boys Club. Even then we were turning out quality youth.

Ive always had a strong sense of injustice over the Clark assault on Maxwell but it is nothing on the flying 2 footed tackle Nijholt did to give away the free kick that caused the ball to come in. 

I also didn’t realise at the time just how much the players were moved around. McCart starting at RB with Griff at RM was completely erased from the memory banks.