CoF

Season Tickets  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What you doing?

• Current holder - Renewing
    • Current holder - Not renewing
    • Didn't have ST last year - getting one
    • Didn't have ST last year - not getting one
    • Decide once we've got more information.

19 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn't imagine that you're alone in this situation.

The biggest threat to our society at present isn't the actual virus itself. And the virus spreading isn't the biggest threat to Scottish football. 

We're supposedly heading towards 1930's great depression levels of unemployment, and the lockdown is totally fucking up the economy. And I know, every time the economy is mentioned there's always some twat who pipes up "Is the economy more important than saving lives?!?! What if it were YOU or your LOVED ONES?!? Eh? Eh?"

Well, the economy tanking will likely destroy more lives over the next twenty years than the virus will. 

The truth is, football is fucked as it is. If we're looking for the levels of safety that medical types are wanting before we let punters into stadiums then we'd be as well calling it a day and shutting the club down for the next few years, because we're not getting to that point any time soon.

Some twat? 

To be clear you are comfortable labelling everyone from the First Minister of Scotland to the rank and file members of the general public who have said similar through genuine immediate concerns about their loved ones as twats?

17 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Some twat? 

To be clear you are comfortable labelling everyone from the First Minister of Scotland to the rank and file members of the general public who have said similar through genuine immediate concerns about their loved ones as twats?

The ones who use such talk as a reason for deflecting chat away from the very real issues we are going to face due to the economy tanking? Yes. If you consider an appropriate response to someone discussing the effects this situation is having on the economy, people's livelihoods, jobs, and future prospects of the nation to be "Is the economy more important than saving lives?!?!" then sadly, I do.

Those with any sense would know that this isn't an either/or situation. It's not a choice between shutting ourselves away to save lives or trying to salvage the economy. There's a fine line between dealing with both, and that's where we need to be.

Anyone who's familiar with the great depression and the absolute destruction it caused to people for years should be just as concerned with the economy as they are with the virus. Both go hand in hand.

5 minutes ago, David said:

The ones who use such talk as a reason for deflecting chat away from the very real issues we are going to face due to the economy tanking? Yes. If you consider an appropriate response to someone discussing the effects this situation is having on the economy, people's livelihoods, jobs, and future prospects of the nation to be "Is the economy more important than saving lives?!?!" then sadly, I do.

Those with any sense would know that this isn't an either/or situation. It's not a choice between shutting ourselves away to save lives or trying to salvage the economy. There's a fine line between dealing with both, and that's where we need to be.

Anyone who's familiar with the great depression and the absolute destruction it caused to people for years should be just as concerned with the economy as they are with the virus. Both go hand in hand.

Can you be specific on who you consider is using such chat to deflect away from the issues? Who are "the ones" you refer to?

Just now, Andy_P said:

Can you be specific on who you consider is using such chat to deflect away from the issues? Who are "the ones" you refer to?

They can be found everywhere at the moment. Social media, primarily. They're usually found with little banners on their profile pictures, and using NHS hashtags.

To be clear, I'm not downplaying the effects of the virus, or saying we shouldn't be concerned about our loved ones. Again, this is what I'm talking about when I mean the "either/or" approach.

Unless you're using a banner, hashtags, and focusing on one aspect of the discussion you're seen as opposing this part of it.

It's like the other day on here, I dared to mention the Swedish approach. No one knows if that kind of tactic will work long-term, but it's another way of going about things. Another option. No sooner had I mentioned it than someone replied with some pish talking about injecting bleach. It was assumed that by not taking the "stay indoors, save lives" approach that I was vehemently against it. I'm not, I'm just looking at other options and ways other nations are dealing with the situation.

We need to look at all facets of the situation. Like it or not, the economy matters. The effects of a depression of this magnitude is well documented from the 30's. At some point the furlough money is going to run out. We can't keep paying out that kind of dough while there isn't enough businesses paying taxes to support it. It's not going to work.

So we need to move on from only looking at one aspect of the situation and start taking into account that measures need to be taken, in the safest way possible, to get things moving again. No approach is ever going to be completely safe. We'll never get to that stage. 

It's the same with football. If we're looking for a safety level akin to that which was enjoyed before this all happened then we'd be as well packing it in, and shutting clubs down entirely for a few years.

5 hours ago, David said:

They can be found everywhere at the moment. Social media, primarily. They're usually found with little banners on their profile pictures, and using NHS hashtags.

To be clear, I'm not downplaying the effects of the virus, or saying we shouldn't be concerned about our loved ones. Again, this is what I'm talking about when I mean the "either/or" approach.

Unless you're using a banner, hashtags, and focusing on one aspect of the discussion you're seen as opposing this part of it.

It's like the other day on here, I dared to mention the Swedish approach. No one knows if that kind of tactic will work long-term, but it's another way of going about things. Another option. No sooner had I mentioned it than someone replied with some pish talking about injecting bleach. It was assumed that by not taking the "stay indoors, save lives" approach that I was vehemently against it. I'm not, I'm just looking at other options and ways other nations are dealing with the situation.

We need to look at all facets of the situation. Like it or not, the economy matters. The effects of a depression of this magnitude is well documented from the 30's. At some point the furlough money is going to run out. We can't keep paying out that kind of dough while there isn't enough businesses paying taxes to support it. It's not going to work.

So we need to move on from only looking at one aspect of the situation and start taking into account that measures need to be taken, in the safest way possible, to get things moving again. No approach is ever going to be completely safe. We'll never get to that stage. 

It's the same with football. If we're looking for a safety level akin to that which was enjoyed before this all happened then we'd be as well packing it in, and shutting clubs down entirely for a few years.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have to admit if there are those deflecting I'm not picking up on it.  They do say your social media accounts become something of an echo chamber so it is entirely possible that view just isn't one reflected in the accounts I follow and the views expressed. I see plenty of people making reasoned arguments that we make moves to restart sooner, plenty of people making reasoned arguments that move to restart later. I don't see anyone trying to hid from the issue however.

From my own perspective I don't think it unreasonable to consider how we move on, short, medium and long term in all facets of life economy included. An appreciation is required that such considerations are however going to come at different times for different people. That's going to vary markedly from someone in Government tasked with kick-starting "normality" to someone quite content to be picking up 80% of their salary sitting in the sun; from someone who has lost their job as a consequence of the financial issues to  someone who is providing care at first hand.

I will have a preference on what route to the "new normal" I think is best of course but I don't have any issue with anyone expressing various approaches even if I don't agree with them, your own view included. What I did however take issue with your initial remark that folk are twats for suggesting that saving lives is more important than the economy.  Frankly that came across as callous and cretinous and in my view added nothing to your argument. You've provided clarification but I would suggest it was a poor choice of phrase and your point could have  been made equally well without it.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

There have been less than 700 Covid deaths of u45s in the UK (and only 2 u16s). Given the size of the u45 population the risk is effectively zero for those without underlying conditions. These are tiny numbers despite millions of people still being at work and no strict lockdown.

It is very low admittedly but its not effectively zero as you put it, and certainly not for those fatally affected. However although many of those under 45 may not be fatally affected by the virus  they can be carriers and that must not be ignored.  In this case I'm quite happy to leave such decisions to informed politicians, advised by scientists and medical experts.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It is very low admittedly but its not effectively zero as you put it, and certainly not for those fatally affected. However although many of those under 45 may not be fatally affected by the virus  they can be carriers and that must not be ignored.  In this case I'm quite happy to leave such decisions to informed politicians, advised by scientists and medical experts.

Leave it to the informed and the experts on this forum , cmon be realtstic. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/05/25/our-season-ticket-pledge-to-you/

OUR SEASON TICKET PLEDGE TO YOU
14:03
Our season ticket pledge to you
We’re pledging that everyone who buys a season ticket for 2020/21 will get the full value of their purchase.

Almost 1,800 of you have already got your tickets for the campaign, far surpassing sales figures at this stage in normal years.

We understand that there is still no clarity over when football will resume for us, nor any prediction over when supporters will be able to attend matches again.

With that in mind, we will guarantee everyone who purchases, or has already purchased, a season ticket for 2020/21 will get the chance to attend 19 home league matches, whenever that is possible.

If that is not possible in 2020/21, we will offer you the chance to claim the credit value of the missing games back. This can either be used against the value of your season ticket for 2021/22, or if you don’t renew next year, you can claim the equivalent number of match tickets for games in 2021/22.

If matches are initially played behind closed doors, we pledge that you will not be adversely impacted.

For example, if five matches are played behind closed doors in 2020/21, you can choose to either have the value of those matches deducted from your season ticket cost for 2021/22, or we will give you the equivalent amount of match tickets for games in that season.

Everyone who buys a new season ticket will also be given free entry to our first UEFA Europa League match.

Our Early Bird discount period on 2020/21 season tickets is available until 31 May. Don’t miss out.

To buy, please use our online purchasing service at tickets.motherwellfc.co.uk if you can. You can also call us between 10am and 3pm, Monday to Friday, on 01698 333333.

“Fans have responded brilliantly to buy season tickets so far, despite there being uncertainty over when Fir Park will be open again to watch football,” chief executive Alan Burrows said.

“Although that situation hasn’t changed, we hope that this guarantee will encourage other supporters to now commit to buying for 2020/21, and help the club prepare for what lies ahead.

“If you can afford to do so, please buy your season ticket now.”

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Just realised that we won’t be going to Stranraer etc in the BetFred (if it is played), sort of disappointed, it will need to be Albania rather than Albion Rovers.

Knowing our luck they will make the qualifiers regional and consist of a game against The New Saints.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Good gesture by the club but not an offer I'll be taking up. I bought a season ticket for two reasons. I could afford to and I wanted to try and help make sure that there is a club to go back to when we are allowed back to watch football...

Agreed

10 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Good gesture by the club but not an offer I'll be taking up. I bought a season ticket for two reasons. I could afford to and I wanted to try and help make sure that there is a club to go back to when we are allowed back to watch football...

8 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Agreed

Me three

On 5/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, David said:

Wouldn’t want to be in any of the leaders shoes at the minute but The Scot Gov and the UK gov, in particular won’t be the gold standard in terms of dealing with a pandemic.

There is going to be major collateral damage from this, some of it may have already  surfaced but when people are being laid off , left right and centre , after employers have to pay half the furlough , it will begin to bite.

The lockdown approach can’t continue indefinitely.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, Great Balls of Shire said:

Wouldn’t want to be in any of the leaders shoes at the minute but The Scot Gov and the UK gov, in particular won’t be the gold standard in terms of dealing with a pandemic.

There is going to be major collateral damage from this, some of it may have already  surfaced but when people are being laid off , left right and centre , after employers have to pay half the furlough , it will begin to bite.

The lockdown approach can’t continue indefinitely.

That's my fears as well. I'm seeing plenty of people on social media enjoying being told to stay home and sunbathe in the garden, but the last time I checked a tan don't pay the mortgage.

There's tough times ahead for sure.