2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

As much as players like Tait are definitely coming to the end of their prime, in these uncertain times I'm not sure we should be letting them go. He's part of a team that was good enough to finish 3rd, so that's saying something.

Do we have someone who can replace him? Would he have been worth keeping on as a backup?

Just now, weeyin said:

Tait made 13 League appearances. Grimshaw 25. So you'd have to think Robinson sees Grimmy as first choice.

I'm not particularly up to speed on who's staying, going, gone or whatever, but if Grimshaw goes down injured or loses form, who do we have as backup? Is there someone viable for that slot?

5 hours ago, David said:

I'm not particularly up to speed on who's staying, going, gone or whatever, but if Grimshaw goes down injured or loses form, who do we have as backup? Is there someone viable for that slot?

I guess that depends on a couple of things. If you believe Robinson, he is going to rely more on youngsters next season, so plan B may be the reserve team right back.

Or he may be signing (or already have signed on pre-contract) a new right back.

Or we might just go with a back 3 combo of any three from Carroll, Gallagher, Dunne, Maguire, Mugabi, and, if the rumours are true, Lamie.

Is Mugabe on a deal til next year? That's not ideal. I'm a fan of Dunne as I've already said in this thread but of Lamie does come in and we have Mugane still under contract I don't see us offering Dunne anything.

Also cant see us carrying two first choice right backs in Tait and Grimmy so imagine Tait will be offered much reduced terms, no harm to him of he can get more elsewhere. Thought he struggled early in the season but thought he may be coming on to a game again. Thought he was excellent when he came on in the cup against St Mirren.

22 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Having Mugabi under contract and releasing Tait is absolutely chronic planning. 

We have wasted a fortune on dross like Ndjoli and Manzinga and now we have to release good servants. 

Maybe Mugabi isn't progressing/performing as well as expected so I get that.  Tait has been a good servant and model professional but he lost his edge and pace last season and quite plainly Robbo preferred Grimshaw at right back. Could money be an issue? If Mugabi was to leave we would need to pay up his 12 month remaining contract. Apart from that Tait is a full/wing back and Mugabi is a central defender. I'm happy to leave the squad assessment to management.  Robbo & Keef know the players well, know their plans for the coming season and know their budgets.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

We have wasted a fortune on dross like Ndjoli and Manzinga and now we have to release good servants. 

Or maybe Tait was offered a deal that he rejected?

• Like 2

A fortune?

Also, if you didn't see how poor Tait was last season you must have been watching a different team. I agree he has been a good servant and I've always been a fan, but the writing was on the wall after the Hearts League Cup game, and he didn't improve much after that.

And all this "chronic planning" chat every season is pretty boring. Maybe you'd like to lay out a plan where every player is offered a contract we can afford and they are willing to accept for the perfect number of years so all the players you like are always available. The rest of us have to work in the real world with budgets and people who sometimes don't accept offers.

• Like 1

What part of your life brings you enjoyment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Releasing Tait or Dunne would surprise me -Tait especially can be trusted in several positions.

Dunne was a sellable asset not long ago but his injury record is a concern.  

Seedorf could still come good as he is yet to adapt to first team football, we also paid a fee for him so a two year contract doesn’t surprise me. 

However having a commitment to Mugabe next season isn’t ideal, he hasn’t shown he can be trusted at this level and unlikely to improve? Given he didn’t  have a club until September last season not sure why we thought we needed to tie him down so long. 

As said above, some of these may not be our decision. I love Tait, and it's great to have a player with his versatility, but he was a bench player for much of last year, so I can see why he may end up going. I also like Dunne, but could also see him looking for a new challenge.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

As said above, some of these may not be our decision. I love Tait, and it's great to have a player with his versatility, but he was a bench player for much of last year, so I can see why he may end up going. I also like Dunne, but could also see him looking for a new challenge.

Tait has done a good job for us and is clearly well liked by the players and fans but he was not 1st choice last season, so that is unlikely to improve next season and he is a year older.  

Dunne I like also but if he cannot play for us then he is of little use. He has been injured more often than not so I would not want to take another chance with him. It may not happen, but history keeps repeating itself and he plays a handful of games then is out for a long term. Another that needs to move on.

All conjecture of course as we have nothing official from the club.....not a sly dig or anything...not at all....

5 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Dunne I like also but if he cannot play for us then he is of little use. He has been injured more often than not so I would not want to take another chance with him. It may not happen, but history keeps repeating itself and he plays a handful of games then is out for a long term. Another that needs to move on.

In his first season, Dunne played 45 games in all competitions (impressive given his red card issues). Last season he played 26.  Would say it's only this season that he's been unavailable for most of it. 

If Hartley's going, I'd be inclined to keep Dunne. Assuming it's financially viable...

38 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

In his first season, Dunne played 45 games in all competitions (impressive given his red card issues). Last season he played 26.  Would say it's only this season that he's been unavailable for most of it. .

Has he not picked significant injuries in the past two seasons and missed quite a few games in both?

13 hours ago, steelboy said:

A fortune?

Was manzinga not playing amateur football before he showed up? Cant imagine we are spending fortunes on him.....

Mugabi was originally only signed until January because of Dunnes injury and put in a couple of good performances, Ibrox being one of them, he got into team of the week. I think most were probably reasonably happy when he signed the extension, he needs a run of games, much like any player before he can be judged properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Mugabi was originally only signed until January because of Dunnes injury and put in a couple of good performances, Ibrox being one of them, he got into team of the week. I think most were probably reasonably happy when he signed the extension, he needs a run of games, much like any player before he can be judged properly.

He also has 8 more international caps than Gallagher 8)

On 5/30/2020 at 9:53 AM, Neilwell86 said:

The St Mirren cup match was enough to make up my mind that he's nowhere near good enough at this level. Torn a new one and then that eye injury cop out.