2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

27 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

The St Mirren cup match was enough to make up my mind that he's nowhere near good enough at this level. Torn a new one and then that eye injury cop out. 

To be fair that game was a complete cluster, you could have released half the first team if you only judged them on that performance. We were all over the place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

To be fair that game was a complete cluster, you could have released half the first team if you only judged them on that performance. We were all over the place.

Exactly. Same goes for the Hearts League Cup game. If you judged the team on that, everyone from Gillespie to the strikers would have been punted.

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Captain this year? Gallagher or Turnbull?

One, or probably both will be sold the second a bid comes in, with the excuse of "covid". Wouldnt be surprised if the Media team had a begging video set up for Gallagher too! Glad to see the gaffer has his priorities right, offering a new contract for his boy. 

Captain for next Season? Probably Donnelly or Carson. 

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

One, or probably both will be sold the second a bid comes in, with the excuse of "covid". Wouldnt be surprised if the Media team had a begging video set up for Gallagher too! Glad to see the gaffer has his priorities right, offering a new contract for his boy. 

You're literally raging about a scenario you've invented in your head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Don’t think it would just be Robinson making the decision 

Saw him in a couple of reserve games and he did not look out of place 

Has played for NI at U19 and was seen as a excellent young prospect until he got a bad injury which put him out the game for about a year

Will just have to see how it works out and he won’t be costing us a fortune 

I can't really contest of any of the cases of the departed players. 

Gillespie has been excellent.  We got the replacement we anticipated for Carson, albeit it didn't quite happen in the anticipated manner and if he has got gig with an English Premiership side with whom he apparently has some emotional attachment, who can blame him for that?  Would have been nice had we got a fee of course but a free transfer that has definitely been mutually beneficial.

Hartley I think did well to play as much, and as well as he did last season but unless he's playing week in, week out he seemed to be taking longer and longer to get to his peak and with every injury.  Interesting to see where the replacement comes from the injury prone Dunne?  The mooted Lamie?  Youngsters like Hussain or Devine?  Whatever, I think Hartley's been a signing that has worked out pretty well for us over the piece and I wish him well.

Tait is another who has delivered much more than might have been expected from someone plucked from the level he was with very little fan fare.  It poses a question about the cover at both full-back positions but the assists he was initially renowned for began to dry up, his was pace going and he could only have played about a third of his games in his true position in the last eighteen months. I wouldn't have objected had he been offered another year but it's difficult to argue with the decision.

Ilic and Manzinga going is no surprise both in terms of the financial climate and on what they produced in their season with us.  There tends to be a bit griping about this type of signing when it doesn't work out but I have no issues with a signing or two like this coming in for cover and to take a bit of a punt on.  Neither though added anything significantly. 

Livingstone re-signing last summer came as a little bit of a surprise so with no involvement this year his moving on isn't any surprise this year. 

Not sure if Ferguson was offered terms or not having already played a number of first team games before coming to us and then a full season out on loan I might have imagined the prospect of sitting as a number two would not be so attractive.

Time will tell who comes in, or comes through to replace them I suppose.

• Like 2

No real arguments with any of the released players, Hartley needs a change but will do a job for someone else, he’s just not a good fit for the way we play now and he will be on a good wedge. I’ve always liked Tait but understand he’s just not getting enough game time

Not sure if Ferguson was offered terms or not having already played a number of first team games before coming to us and then a full season out on loan I might have imagined the prospect of sitting as a number two would not be so attractive.

Has Ferguson not went to Celtic as a youth team coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Shaka said:

Hartley was offered terms, but they were withdrawn due to the financial situation, its good to see that nepotism is still being adhered to. 

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Has Ferguson not went to Celtic as a youth team coach

Rohan Ferguson?  Not that I know of. Are you maybe thinking of Darren O'Dea from earlier in the season?

Ferguson I would have thought to be too young to foresake what could be a fairly promising playing career for a coaching job at this point.

9 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Rohan Ferguson?  Not that I know of. Are you maybe thinking of Darren O'Dea from earlier in the season?

Ferguson I would have thought to be too young to foresake what could be a fairly promising playing career for a coaching job at this point.

I think there is some tie up with Celtic.  Steve Woods, Chris McCart, Stephen McManus, Darren O’Dea not sure who else, seems to be the direction of travel

2 hours ago, The African said:

I think it is fair to say that we will only understand the thinking behind these departures once any new signings are brought in and we can see what the complete squad looks like. At the moment it certainly looks a little threadbare..

This, plus what ourselves (and all other clubs) end up doing in the way of transfers also depends heavily on what the new season looks like. Even if it does start in August, I imagine there will be a lot free agents available in the next month or two as clubs offload players to save money.

9 hours ago, Ross said:

I’ve just looked and he tweeted saying a 2 year contract with Celtic community coaching.So that would probably only be part time and I’m guessing he play for a part time team

Fair enough. Happy to stand corrected. 

• Like 1

Glad Maguire has been given a new contract but there's no point in it if he doesn't get game time.

Gillespie has been an excellent custodian.  Good luck to him.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mark O'Hara ended up wearing our shirt again.

As for bringing players in, I think we should be cautious when spending money. 

Although the signs are going in the right direction with Covid I've read that things being back to normal by October is 'unlikely' and by then there might well be a resurgence as we go into winter months.

I'd urge financial prudence.  The stability of the club has to be put before performance next season as Covid will surely be the biggest test of the club since administration.

As it stands I'm unlikely to be a season ticket next season but as always things are fluid.