2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Financial prudence IS key. Think some need to harness expectations. I’m doubting much movement except those already agreed & on pre-contract. Promotion from the reserves supplementing squad make up. Now, if one of our assets were to go...

Yes, a good summing up as usual. The new season will also be about how our rivals reshape their squads too.  Teams such as Ross County seem to be trimming their squad numbers and that might well be the norm in these strange times.  There's always the risk that one club will try to gain a short term advantage and not cut back or even strengthen slightly. Maybe clubs will rely more on youth? We'll find out in the next 2 or 3 months.

I’d fully support the calls for financial prudence as most fans will. The club will be working towards multiple budgeting scenarios just now relating to the cost of testing, the cost of making Fir Park and the training environment ‘covid secure’ and the obvious impact of closed doors, followed by the likely tentative introduction of socially distanced crowds. With that in mind, I’d be more than happy to go with a small core squad filled up by youngsters.

For any club that is relatively cash rich however, never has there been a better opportunity to acquire one or two gems at a time when players have little bargaining power. Maybe we could get involved in that if we can build a financial cushion with the sale of Turnbull, Campbell or Gallagher. 

I’ve not had a chance to look but has there been any chat around youth/reserve team football in Scotland and England? If the cost of testing proves prohibitive, that opens the door to another pool of players looking for first team action. 

4 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

For any club that is relatively cash rich however, never has there been a better time to acquire one or two gems at a time when players have little bargaining power. Maybe we could get involved in that if we can build a financial cushion with the sale of Turnbull, Campbell or Gallagher.

I don't think my sanity could cope with lockdown + another 6 month Turnbull transfer saga.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Hartley was offered terms, but they were withdrawn due to the financial situation, its good to see that nepotism is still being adhered to. 

Yeah, they're both comparable because a nineteen year old who's played a handful of matches is going to be earning the same wage as the club captain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Well Fan said:

Yeah, they're both comparable because a nineteen year old who's played a handful of matches is going to be earning the same wage as the club captain.

I'm sure all the younger boys who get released will appreciate your logic, but wait there dad's not the manager. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

What if he actually deserves a contract simply because he’s done well enough to earn one ?

Well said … …  as I said previously the boy has played at U19 level for NI and until he was out for a year with a bad injury he had the makings of a bright future by all accounts

Certain he won’t be costing us a fortune in wages and I’m sure Lasley and Ross would have been involved in the decision making process

Lets all calm down and give the boy a chance 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

What if he actually deserves a contract simply because he’s done well enough to earn one ?

Aye right, Mr Robinson to Keith and Maurice, " I'm brining in a young lad, let me know what you think, is he good enough for a contract" What's his name boss, eh Harry, he's my son. Now let me think is it answer a) Not good enough or b) He'll do us a turn!!!!!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Aye right, Mr Robinson to Keith and Maurice, " I'm brining in a young lad, let me know what you think, is he good enough for a contract" What's his name boss, eh Harry, he's my son. Now let me think is it answer a) Not good enough or b) He'll do us a turn!!!!!!!! 

Have you actually seen him play or did a pal of yours get punted this season and you're ragin'?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Have you actually seen him play or did a pal of yours get punted this season and you're ragin'?

No and No, have you seen him Playing, remember he is being quoted as a 1st team squad member, Really. Just see the reality boys who have played their hearts out are going to be dumped and in steps Harry and gets kept on, Nepotism I tell you Nepotism. 

40 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Personally I have never seen him play so can only trust that those with more knowledge than myself have acted in the best interest of the club.

32 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

No and No, have you seen him Playing, remember he is being quoted as a 1st team squad member, Really. Just see the reality boys who have played their hearts out are going to be dumped and in steps Harry and gets kept on, Nepotism I tell you Nepotism. 

Well I have seen him play and the boys got a bit about him, also saw young Turnbull when very few people had ever heard of him, will just have to wait and see how good he turns out.

As I say calm your jets and let the manager and coaches get on with their jobs.

29 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Would anyone take Steven Lawless back?

Livi fans seem to think he must have something else already lined up, surprised and disappointed he left. I thought he looked to have improved with them after leaving Thistle but for me I don’t think he’s what we need and can’t say I’m a massive fan.

34 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Livi fans seem to think he must have something else already lined up, surprised and disappointed he left. I thought he looked to have improved with them after leaving Thistle but for me I don’t think he’s what we need and can’t say I’m a massive fan.

Seen someone say he doesn't really fit the mould for a robinson winger after i posted my last message which I agree with, wouldn't be the worst addition by any means but probably much better to be had.

14 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Glad Maguire has been given a new contract but there's no point in it if he doesn't get game time.

Gillespie has been an excellent custodian.  Good luck to him.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mark O'Hara ended up wearing our shirt again.

As for bringing players in, I think we should be cautious when spending money. 

Although the signs are going in the right direction with Covid I've read that things being back to normal by October is 'unlikely' and by then there might well be a resurgence as we go into winter months.

I'd urge financial prudence.  The stability of the club has to be put before performance next season as Covid will surely be the biggest test of the club since administration.

As it stands I'm unlikely to be a season ticket next season but as always things are fluid.

Absolutely...with everything going on, and all the uncertainty the Club would be best served to sit tight on any money they have...I'm amazed at people who are shocked that Hartley and Co have not been offered new deals, with things the way they are.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5657107/motherwell-hartley-tears-release-fir-park/

Hartley with nothing but good things to say about the club, great to see. 

And nice to see all the good wishes on his twitter feed, it’s amazing how many players have nothing but good things to say about the club. I guess it’s that same feeling that Stephen and I had when we started supporting Motherwell, not the biggest, or the most successful, but a club with something special about it.