2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5657107/motherwell-hartley-tears-release-fir-park/

Hartley with nothing but good things to say about the club, great to see. 

I really hope he doesnt stay in Scottish Football!

He has given his all for the club, obviously cares about the plase and leaves with nothing but class. Would be sad to hear the slevvering pricks in the East Stand screaming abuse at him next season!

24 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I really hope he doesnt stay in Scottish Football!

He has given his all for the club, obviously cares about the plase and leaves with nothing but class. Would be sad to hear the slevvering pricks in the East Stand screaming abuse at him next season!

You would hope they remember he gave a lot to the club and actually wanted to stay.

To be fair, I was screaming abuse at him from my sofa this season every time he tried one of his Hollywood passes instead of keeping it short and simple ;)

His contributions on and off the park have been significant and I can imagine his influence among the players will be missed.

18 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

The lad will need to have thick skin , not played a game and he’s getting pelters already.....pretty sure his auld man wouldn’t put him in the firing line just for the hell of it 

It’s just very unfair, basically it’s saying you can’t be good enough just because your dad is the manager. There have been plenty of top class players who’s father have been managers, you can’t write them off just because they are both at the same club.

27 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s just very unfair, basically it’s saying you can’t be good enough just because your dad is the manager. There have been plenty of top class players who’s father have been managers, you can’t write them off just because they are both at the same club.

Classic example is Frank Lampard. Played for West Ham for 6 years while his dad was assistant manager. And the manger, Harry Rednapp was his uncle.

17 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You'll always have narrow-minded people who cry nepotism before they ever see a boy kick a ball. In reality, this isn't boys' club football, where the opposite is often the case - in professional football, it can work against the player. Most coaches are totally fair, but the Cadden boys always had to work harder to prove themselves to some people (and have proved their ability since, obviously, being established pros) and I know from my own boy's experience that most people either didn't know his grandfather had had a prominent connection with the club in the past or were fair minded and didn't care, but the only time it affected him is when one coach felt that he was only there because of his connection and held it against him. He survived that year thanks to the opinion of other coaches but it showed that "nepotism" tends to work against you, never for you. You can be sure that there will have been long discussions about Harry and that, because of family connection, the final decision will have been hard and will only have been based on football ability because they will have been acutely aware of the opinions he will be up against.

• Like 3

Why do some folk always write players off before they have kicked a ball?   This happens all the time,  remember Higdon being written off, Moult being questioned,  Jake Carroll last season before a ball been kicked.  So Robbo had signed his son.......if he proves to be a good player I couldn't care less if they are related.  As John Lennon once said about well new signings 'All we are sayyyyyyyying......is give them a chance......Altogether!!!!'

Gentleman, the point is, young lad's who have been knocking their pan in for the last couple of years will end up on the scrapheap, but they see the gaffer's son  walk in after being released and get an extension. Not only that the club list him in 1st team squad, cmon 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Gentleman, the point is, young lad's who have been knocking their pan in for the last couple of years will end up on the scrapheap, but they see the gaffer's son  walk in after being released and get an extension. Not only that the club list him in 1st team squad, cmon 

And if he is better than them??

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

If he is, it will knock a few points off our great youth system if a lad of 19 punted by Oldham is better than people we have trained for last couple of years. 

But you simply don’t know, given you have have never replied to posters asking if you have seen him play you have jumped to a negative conclusion simply based on the manager being his father. Surely you can see how unfair that is.

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

But you simply don’t know, given you have have never replied to posters asking if you have seen him play you have jumped to a negative conclusion simply based on the manager being his father. Surely you can see how unfair that is.

But I have answered that question!!, in an earlier post. If I'm unfair on him, how unfair is it to the young lads who get punted. I've read the posts about sons of players being good, but how many of the boy's getting punted could be just as good if not better. Double edged sword yes, but there will be people furious that a relation who has progressed well gets punted and he get new contract. Think of the big world you knock yir pan in at work, in comes the gaffer's son and he says sorry no room for you now, you'll b happy not. Surely there's better out there in this climate than the bosses son!! 

So much conjecture there. So many variables...

Unless you've seen him play and all the players that play in his position play too you cant know how good it a decision it is or not.

You can certainly be of the personal opinion that it looks bad and is unfair because his dad is the manager.

But that doesn't actually make it a bad or unfair decision in itself, because you dont know any of the details...unless you do.

1 hour ago, Jumbomuir said:

If he is, it will knock a few points off our great youth system if a lad of 19 punted by Oldham is better than people we have trained for last couple of years. 

Exact same point to the boys last season then regarding Ross MacIver a 20 year old we signed from Ross County after he was released. Maybe have a look and think wait the young lad Robinson has actually played for NI u21s, player a first team game for Oldham as well as going on loan to Crusaders playing a couple games. He is still young and when he came in evidently proved he was worth a contract and better than most already there. 
As you can probably see there isn’t  many you could say or pick out he seems ready to step up is there? When you compare them to the likes of Turnbull’s and Campbell’s etc.

2 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Maybe cause he’s better than them.

Club have never been short at giving youngsters a chance to show what the can do

Unfortunately the are not all good enough …… bet or churn rate is no worse than other clubs infect think you’ll find that it is better than some 

11 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Exact same point to the boys last season then regarding Ross MacIver a 20 year old we signed from Ross County after he was released. Maybe have a look and think wait the young lad Robinson has actually played for NI u21s, player a first team game for Oldham as well as going on loan to Crusaders playing a couple games. He is still young and when he came in evidently proved he was worth a contract and better than most already there. 
As you can probably see there isn’t  many you could say or pick out he seems ready to step up is there? When you compare them to the likes of Turnbull’s and Campbell’s etc.

And I'm sure Ross County were happy when he popped 1 in their net!! 

• Like 2

Looking at the retained/released list, i assume you are referring to Adam Livingstone when you talk about players knocking their pan in to get released, If not I'm lost cause there isn't really anyone else on it? As far as I'm aware Robinson (harry) is a more attacking player, on the wing from memory, he may well have been retained because we dont have any other wingers coming through the ranks, Livingstone has Carroll, Dunne (if fit) and Lamie (if the rumours are true) to get ahead of, so financially it doesn't make sense in these times. 

I wanted Livingstone to succeed as much as everyone else, thought he was outstanding against Sligo a few years back but he has had three loan spells and never really kicked on from them. 

People have also mentioned Harry robinson being part of the ni set up and being quite highly rated so it really doesn't seem that outrageous, from his few appearances in the reserves last season he also popped up with a few goals and assists.

Not to interrupt this highly amusing seethe-fest of us extending the contract of someone who clearly isn't good enough but the people who think that have LITERALLY NEVER SEEN HIM KICK A FUCKING FOOTBALL, but when do the released players actually get released?

If we're furloughing players it's surely right to keep them on until we can't furlough any more to guarantee these lads an income.

• Like 3

I have absolutely no idea how good or bad Robinson's boy is but you don't need to delve very far at all to realise how many signings and appointments in football have been heavily influenced by direct or indirect relationships so, whilst a father signing his son is perhaps a bit more rare, in the respect of a player/manager getting a helping hand because of who they happen to know it isn't massively uncommon. 

• Like 1