2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

21 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If we're furloughing players it's surely right to keep them on until we can't furlough any more to guarantee these lads an income.

Id imagine contracts end Jun 1st and once our obligation ends the furlough ends. 

As tough as it is releasing guys with no income, prolonging contracts,when we are talking about cutting budgets and playing a chunk of  next season with no fans is utter insanity. Even on furlough, the club still need to have the money to pay then claim it back, and we could have furlough for another 3 months so when would it stop?

46 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Just seen Alex Gogic leaving Accies... I’ve always quite liked him when I’ve seen him... and if we have a defensive vacancy think we could do a lot worse. Any other thoughts?

Always though Gogic had strange playing style, but possibly would be a good addition. I also see that mcgowan is leaving accies as well, suspect he'll be looking to move to england so doubt it's a realistic option but thought he was excellent for them and would be a bit of a coup IMO.

4 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Always though Gogic had strange playing style, but possibly would be a good addition. I also see that mcgowan is leaving accies as well, suspect he'll be looking to move to england so doubt it's a realistic option but thought he was excellent for them and would be a bit of a coup IMO.

Looks likely that McGowan is going to Kilmarnock to replace O'Donnell. I've heard Hibs are sniffing around Gogic, but that may just be fans' rumours.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, Neilwell86 said:

As far as I'm aware Robinson (harry) is a more attacking player, on the wing from memory, he may well have been retained because we dont have any other wingers coming through the ranks, Livingstone has Carroll, Dunne (if fit) and Lamie (if the rumours are true) to get ahead of, so financially it doesn't make sense in these times.

I may have remembered this incorrectly, but I seem to recall Maurice Ross discussing on the podcast some months ago how they try to set up the youth teams to mirror the senior side, so if we play with two wingers in the first team then we have a steady stream of wingers in the youth teams that will hopefully be able to transition seamlessly into the first team when they're ready. This dictates heavily the players that get retained and released each year, and I believe he may also have been bemoaning the lack of attacking/wide players that we had coming through. Again, I may have remembered that wrong.

On paper Robinson has some lower level first team experience, youth international experience, is an attacking player, relatively cheap, and was only available due to another club's financial situation (as someone already highlighted, similar to MacIver who hasn't turned out too bad so far). There's plenty other things in the world to be absolutely raging about right now than the signing of one youth player over another...  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I may have remembered this incorrectly, but I seem to recall Maurice Ross discussing on the podcast some months ago how they try to set up the youth teams to mirror the senior side, so if we play with two wingers in the first team then we have a steady stream of wingers in the youth teams that will hopefully be able to transition seamlessly into the first team when they're ready. This dictates heavily the players that get retained and released each year, and I believe he may also have been bemoaning the lack of attacking/wide players that we had coming through. Again, I may have remembered that wrong.

On paper Robinson has some lower level first team experience, youth international experience, is an attacking player, relatively cheap, and was only available due to another club's financial situation (as someone already highlighted, similar to MacIver who hasn't turned out too bad so far). There's plenty other things in the world to be absolutely raging about right now than the signing of one youth player over another...  

Like what?? 

49 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Possibly one of our other midfielders...

I don't know if it was yourself that posted it but I did see a suggestion on here recently that Allan Campbell would be sold. I like Campbell, a lot. But for me, his main attributes are his attitude, work rate and energy. Surely there are loads of players in academies down south that have that? Just don't see us getting a fee that would justify us selling or a club that he'd want to move to being interested in him...

24 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't know if it was yourself that posted it but I did see a suggestion on here recently that Allan Campbell would be sold. I like Campbell, a lot. But for me, his main attributes are his attitude, work rate and energy. Surely there are loads of players in academies down south that have that? Just don't see us getting a fee that would justify us selling or a club that he'd want to move to being interested in him...

I would not rule it out, he will have his admirers for sure. Not the most technically gifted but as you state he does have other qualities.

It's easy to forget that Campbell's only 21 despite over a century of appearances for us.  I think people tend to overlook his technical ability because of his hard tackling and good engine, but he is pretty decent in that department too.

He still has room for development, and he has plenty of time on his side. Having Donnelly as holding mid last season let Campbell forward more often and I thought he (and the team) was better for it.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

One of my favourite players at the Club, but I've always thought he would be pigeon holed as 'limited' due to his style of play...

...however, I've heard one or two things about clubs down south looking at him.

What level of club are we talking about?

16 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would not rule it out, he will have his admirers for sure. Not the most technically gifted but as you state he does have other qualities.

I remember nipping over to the Bournemouth forum for a wee look when there was talk about Turnbull going to them, a lot of seemed to like what they seen from Campbell as well.

The local paper up here have reported the player movements from Caley this week and noted Jordan White has left the club having signed a pre contract with Motherwell. So looks like he is 100% ours, justca matter of time until he is announced

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Craig Gordon available on a free and in talks with St Mirren...

That would be a good move for both parties as Hladky is moving on and I assume Gordon is looking for a first team starting spot (which I doubt he'd get at Fir Park).