2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

43 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Dont rate O'Donnell that highly personally. IF we were in the market for a Right Back, we could do a lot worse than Marcus Fraser who has just left Ross County! He's a "Robbo Type" big physical no nonsense player, more of a "proper" right back instead of attacking, and is a crackin CD as well

Why would you not want an attacking full back? Look at Carroll chipped in with a few goals and assists, really good crosser of the ball and comfortable with it, something Tait offered from RB especially his crossing. We don’t want to be a team who just have a defensive back line of 4 CBs that just hoof the ball up as far as they can. Anytime I’ve seen him I’ve not been entirely impressed but that’s been for struggling Ross County sides.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supermarv said:

Trying for a permanent deal if not then it will be a loan again, 95% done just sorting out finances of what is best for both clubs it seems. White is also a done deal. 

Regarding Lamie he’s an excellent signing IMO provides first team competition at CB as well as cover at LB. 

Are they? I’m not seeing that at all despite paper talk some months ago. Were a midfielder to leave... Wouldn’t be my first choice but, that’s another debate.

White is hardly news, purchasing property locally gave the game away months back, that & his wife telling her friends in Motherwell why they were moving to the area.

Don’t know much about Lamie or White, although I do wonder if they fit the post COVID approach of running a small squad backed up with the youth. We may have made commitments to them before.

Hoping any further additions are clearly of a first 11 quality and maybe only one or two then needed? 

There could be some interesting transfers in the league. J Hayes back to Aberdeen and O’Donnell to United rumoured. 

Be interesting to see where Jamie Murphy is playing next season. 

54 minutes ago, gee said:

Don’t know much about Lamie or White, although I do wonder if they fit the post COVID approach of running a small squad backed up with the youth. We may have made commitments to them before.

I'd say our squad is still pretty small. Two recognised wingers, two strikers, three centre halfs, two full backs and five midfielders by my count. Not huge...

Carson

Grimshaw

Carroll

Gallagher

Mugabi

Lamie

Campbell 

Donnelly 

Turnbull 

Polworth 

Maguire

Seedorf

Hylton

Watt

McIver

Hardly a huge squad...

2 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He’s definitely found wanting at international level....might do a job but I reckon  he will be looking for a big money move, so why burst bank for an average player

We don’t appear to be a club that’s willing to burst the bank for any player these days. I doubt any of the new signings are going to be on big money and I don’t see that changing. The days of a motherwell signing well known names seem to be over.

35 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He’s definitely found wanting at international level....might do a job but I reckon  he will be looking for a big money move, so why burst bank for an average player

Andy Robertson has been found wanting at international level too. Not because he's a bad player (he's obviously excellent), but because the international squad has deep issues that you can see have a negative influence on even our best players.

41 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

How likely is it that the midfielder in question is away? Done deal?

I've obviously no idea, but I take the original point. If Polworth or Turnbull leaves we'd need a completely different style of replacement than if Donnelly or Campbell leaves.

Don’t be fooled by livi fans saying he fell down the pecking order. He was crucial to them this season playing nearly every game this season. He’s most likely informed  livi he won’t be renewing so they’ve dropped him and obviously with signing Ambrose and another CB that’s clear. It’s a deal that’s been pretty much completed for months.

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Just wondering where two of our former players Murphy and Hastie will be playing their football next season as I cannot see them playing for Rangers with the number of players they are linked with at the moment!!

i would certainly take Murphy back but probably out of our salary range?

Hastie will obviously just be loaned out again, he’s probably going to be moving around for a while until Rangers eventually let him go.

6 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'd say our squad is still pretty small. Two recognised wingers, two strikers, three centre halfs, two full backs and five midfielders by my count. Not huge...

Carson

Grimshaw

Carroll

Gallagher

Mugabi

Lamie

Campbell 

Donnelly 

Turnbull 

Polworth 

Maguire

Seedorf

Hylton

Watt

McIver

Hardly a huge squad...

Think some are needing to reign expectations in. Around 5 promoted from reserve level all worthy of their chance. It's how we need to be. Survival will be key...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Just wondering where two of our former players Murphy and Hastie will be playing their football next season as I cannot see them playing for Rangers with the number of players they are linked with at the moment!!

i would certainly take Murphy back but probably out of our salary range?

See above reply. Need to get with current club programme methinks. That and you never find happiness where you lost it.

32 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Hastie will obviously just be loaned out again, he’s probably going to be moving around for a while until Rangers eventually let him go.

I still remember the quote I saw from a Rangers fan after they signed Hastie. His prediction was "another youngster we'll loan out for 2 seasons before offloading him to Oldham"

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I still remember the quote I saw from a Rangers fan after they signed Hastie. His prediction was "another youngster we'll loan out for 2 seasons before offloading him to Oldham"

Yep,  very easy to predict before he even put a Rangers shirt on.

Any word yet if any of the following players have accepted the new deals they've been offered? They could be an important part of our squad this season.
  • Charles Dunne
  • Christopher Long
  • Barry Maguire
  • Peter Morrison
  • Harry Robinson
  • Yusuf Hussain

Yusuf said he was staying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Any word yet if any of the following players have accepted the new deals they've been offered? They could be an important part of our squad this season.

• Charles Dunne
  • Christopher Long
  • Barry Maguire
  • Peter Morrison
  • Harry Robinson
  • Yusuf Hussain

For some reason I thought all had re-signed except for Long, but don't recall ever seeing anything that said that!

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Think some are needing to reign expectations in. Around 5 promoted from reserve level all worthy of their chance. It's how we need to be. Survival will be key...

I don't disagree. I expected us to possibly replace Hartley, O'Hara or Tait with cheaper options wage wise but wasn't expecting masses of movement. 

Who are the players from the reserves you expect to see stepping up?

15 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't disagree. I expected us to possibly replace Hartley, O'Hara or Tait with cheaper options wage wise but wasn't expecting masses of movement. 

Who are the players from the reserves you expect to see stepping up?

So has O’Hara left? I was hoping he would stay. Was getting better every game.