2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

8 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Seems to be Nathan McGinley from Forest Green. Left sided defender left back and centre back...

Promising. Only 23, trained in Boro academy and 6'3 so a unit!

If it is McGinley, along with Lambie I take it Dunne is 100% away once he is back to fitness?!

2 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Is Carroll out for a while?  Don't know why we'd need another left back otherwise.

The only thing I remember was he "was out for the rest of the season" - but haven't seen any updates since then.

Never hurts having cover for left back, though.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Badly needing a striker...any on their way in?

Chillax, I can see us picking up a young Premiership reserve with decent talent on loan.  Given 3rd place football and Europe it's great experience for a team to toughen him up a bit and stretch his legs...watch this space.  (the one between my ears).  

15 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

Chillax, I can see us picking up a young Premiership reserve with decent talent on loan.  Given 3rd place football and Europe it's great experience for a team to toughen him up a bit and stretch his legs...watch this space.  (the one between my ears).  

We generally don't operate in that market

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

I think we’ve made quite a positive start transfer wise given where many clubs find themselves just now, looks to be a good signing to me.

Certainly looks to be held in very high regard by Forest Green fans going by their comments.

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

Certainly looks to be held in very high regard by Forest Green fans going by their comments.

It’s not that long ago that Championship clubs down south were looking at him by all accounts. Sounds  like he is a typical Robinson signing, a rough diamond with plenty of potential. Of course Robinson will be getting linked with the Hearts job now if Stendel is on his way.

16 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Hopefully a good signing and I wish him.well  but I would like to see is giving more of our youngsters a chance first before we sign players from down south..  whole point of a youth academy is to train them and have them competing for first team.

Or the whole point is to take a very promising footballer who has the potential to play at a higher level. Give him exposure and if it turns out well we could make a few bob.  This is a tried and successfully tested model for us. 

If youngsters are good enough they will get their chance eventually. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Or the whole point is to take a very promising footballer who has the potential to play at a higher level. Give him exposure and if it turns out well we could make a few bob.  This is a tried and successfully tested model for us. 

If youngsters are good enough they will get their chance eventually. 

Yes, is there anyone with talent at the club that’s not been given a chance ? I don’t get to see anything other than first team games but we seem pretty good at giving youth a chance.

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Hopefully a good signing and I wish him.well  but I would like to see is giving more of our youngsters a chance first before we sign players from down south..  whole point of a youth academy is to train them and have them competing for first team.

Maybe the latest batch arent good enough?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Maybe the latest batch arent good enough?

Given that Robinson said a couple of weeks ago we'd be depending on more youngsters this season, we need to hope they are good enough.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Given that Robinson said a couple of weeks ago we'd be depending on more youngsters this season, we need to hope they are good enough.

Devine and Hussain are the two youngsters that will be competing with Lamie, McGinley, Mugabi, Maguire and possibly Donnelly for the 'other' centre back slot beside Gallagher...I have a feeling that neither will see much 1st team fitba regardless of what Robinson has said previously, given the level of competition they have.

As it stands, I'd think MacIver is about the only youngster (and by that I mean, youngster that hasnt properly broken through yet, and obviously not forgetting the ages of Campbell and Turnbull) with a shouting chance of regular game time and thats only because of our wafer-thin options in the forward positions at present - and from what I gather there is a forward on his way in shortly from our lower league hunting ground in England

The likes of Cornelius and Semple, have the task of displacing Polworth, Campbell, Turnbull, Donnelly from our midfield which will be no mean feat, unless either injury, or more likely, we cash in on one of our bigger assets...and we dont go back for O'Hara.

I know what the manager has said recently, but I'm almost of the opinion that our 1-18 is stronger (should we bring in the forward that I've heard named, and add a winger) than it was last season, and any youngster is going to find it tough going to get a crack.