2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

9 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Devine and Hussain are the two youngsters that will be competing with Lamie, McGinley, Mugabi, Maguire and possibly Donnelly for the 'other' centre back slot beside Gallagher...I have a feeling that neither will see much 1st team fitba regardless of what Robinson has said previously, given the level of competition they have.

The likes of Cornelius and Semple, have the task of displacing Polworth, Campbell, Turnbull, Donnelly from our midfield which will be no mean feat, unless either injury, or more likely, we cash in on one of our bigger assets...and we dont go back for O'Hara.

I know what the manager has said recently, but I'm almost of the opinion that our 1-18 is stronger (should we bring in the forward that I've heard named, and add a winger) than it was last season, and any youngster is going to find it tough going to get a crack.

As far as centre backs go, management may not see Mugabi as a long term option and may view Donnelly and Maguire as midfielders - will the latter even move on.  Gallagher of course could move on although I'm not aware of any evidence he will. Charles Dunne - on a short term contract and injury prone.

In midfield, a player or two could move on who knows? You also have to take into account the type of player in there, where we need a balance of defensive and attacking types.

Agreed, the way things are shaping up, we do look a bit stronger than last term, if we can add more firepower up front. 

All that said, it'd be great to see some home grown talent push through and establish themselves.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

As far as centre backs go, management may not see Mugabi as a long term option and may view Donnelly and Maguire as midfielders - will the latter even move on.  Gallagher of course could move on although I'm not aware of any evidence he will. Charles Dunne - on a short term contract and injury prone.

In midfield, a player or two could move on who knows? You also have to take into account the type of player in there, where we need a balance of defensive and attacking types.

Agreed, the way things are shaping up, we do look a bit stronger than last term, if we can add more firepower up front. 

All that said, it'd be great to see some home grown talent push through and establish themselves.

Mugabi hasn't been signed so that he can watch 18year olds from the stand, if that was the case, I'm sure he'd be given a deal to go. ..

...while Maguire and Donnelly are arguably midfielders, I'd imagine if everyone were fit from our midfield depth and we had a defensive crisis, it's more likely that either of them would fill in before two untried guys.

In midfield, I think it's almost certain someone will move on, and that's why I hold out more hope for Cornelius than I do for the guys at the back. 

Oh, and Maguire has signed a new deal btw

We're going to have injuries and suspensions throughout the season, and that's when the youngsters come into the squad. Youngsters promoted into the first team that have yet to play a minute of first team football are not going to pushing for a starting place in their debut season - unless their initials are DT. Maguire is obviously different in that he has played in the first team and will be a bit more experienced, but how many times has he even played 45 minutes in the first team? 

Agree that MacIver will get more of a shot this season, as last season was his 'blooding in' season. For the rest, this is that season.

I imagine that had the season not been curtailed in the way it was, we would have used some of the remaining games to start easing the young 'uns into the first team in advance of next season (so long as the race for 3rd wasn't compromised).

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/06/16/young-four-sign-new-deals/

I know slightly in contradiction to my previous comment, but I wonder if Morrison removes the need for signing a 2nd choice keeper. Difficult one to balance as you want to make sure the guy on the bench is good enough to step in at short notice, but you also don't want to be paying a more senior wage for a bench warmer when one of our own youngsters could benefit from that exposure instead..

14 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Salford are league 2, but there's no way we can match the money he is allegedly on with them, unless he has been released and up for a big wage cut.

Aye, but he plays for Solihull Moors in the National League.

(Not that I thought he was signing for us - just joking about when someone mentioned National League strikers).

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aye, but he plays for Solihull Moors in the National League.

(Not that I thought he was signing for us - just joking about when someone mentioned National League strikers).

Could not be bothered reading the rest of the thread,  saw you had mentioned Rooney and assumed rumours had been started :D