2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

47 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Certainly not referring to you knowing. Lets just see if the club secure the deal, certainly fits with recruitment so far.

He' s not a prophet, he just reads the bbc gossip page, we are keen to sign Lang from Wigan apparently .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/gossip

• Like 1

Link to record article for calum lang story.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/callum-lang-targeted-motherwell-loan-22202961

According to wiki 25 goals from 78 league 1 & 2 & cup games - is a decent stat. Sounds promising.

Also about halfway down, the article nonchalantly mentions that we have signed Scott fox... News to me and not on official. Leaked or nonsense?

16 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Link to record article for calum lang story.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/callum-lang-targeted-motherwell-loan-22202961

According to wiki 25 goals from 78 league 1 & 2 & cup games - is a decent stat. Sounds promising.

Also about halfway down, the article nonchalantly mentions that we have signed Scott fox... News to me and not on official. Leaked or nonsense?

You have to think the a Fox deal is as good as done but until it’s official anything can happen

I can only assume these new signings are replacing the wages of those released?...Robbo is always pleading poverty but yet we seem to be signing plenty.  Have no problems with us signing players but as I have said before I feel we should be giving youth a chance.  Again all about opinions.  COYW

27 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I feel we should be giving youth a chance.  Again all about opinions.  COYW

As has been mentioned on many occasions maybe There is nobody from the current youth squad good enough or able to step up to the 1st team, hence the need to bring players in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

As has been mentioned on many occasions maybe There is nobody from the current youth squad good enough or able to step up to the 1st team, hence the need to bring players in.

Can understand that but if that is case then Stevie H and Maurice R should be asking questions.  I know the model of signing players down south to hopefully sell on for money has worked for Louis...Johnson....Heneghan...Porter  but at same time club cant keep pleading poverty yet signing guys who will cost more than our youngsters.   Every one has different views so it's always something where opinions will differ.

2 hours ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

Could be confusing if we do have both Long and Lang in the team. Shout from the stand "hit it lang Long" or " hit it long Lang" lets hope we still play it on the ground.

Weird that this wouldn't be the first time we had that problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Can understand that but if that is case then Stevie H and Maurice R should be asking questions.  I know the model of signing players down south to hopefully sell on for money has worked for Louis...Johnson....Heneghan...Porter  but at same time club cant keep pleading poverty yet signing guys who will cost more than our youngsters.   Every one has different views so it's always something where opinions will differ.

The problem we faced recently is that we moved on most of our good youngsters, willingly or unwillingly.

McKinstry, Hastie, Scott, McAlear and Cadden all left us and Turnbull would have too but for his injury.  Given that one youngster a season claiming a first team spot is a pretty decent return, there is a lot of catching up to do there.

Although we will be starting the season with Cambpell, Turnbull and Maguire in the frame - all of whom feel older than they actually are.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Have no problems with us signing players but as I have said before I feel we should be giving youth a chance.  Again all about opinions.  COYW

It depends on what type of players are coming through the youth ranks. We seem to be well covered in central midfield and central defence with the likes of Dean Cornelius, Jamie Semple, David Devine and Yusuf Hussain progressing but we don't seem to have any young strikers or wingers coming through at the moment.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

It depends on what type of players are coming through the youth ranks. We seem to be well covered in central midfield and central defence with the likes of Dean Cornelius, Jamie Semple, David Devine and Yusuf Hussain progressing but we don't seem to have any young strikers or wingers coming through at the moment.   

Again just my opinion but when it comes to wingers I dont feel we have signed well......never a frear fan and Hylton and seedorf not good enough.  Yep just wish we could develop our own winger....mind you we did with Hastie before he left

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I can only assume these new signings are replacing the wages of those released?...Robbo is always pleading poverty but yet we seem to be signing plenty.  Have no problems with us signing players but as I have said before I feel we should be giving youth a chance.  Again all about opinions.  COYW

Pleading poverty is what we do...and to be fair, it works

11 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Have no problems with us signing players but as I have said before I feel we should be giving youth a chance. 

To be fair, in recent-ish times, the only young player who didn't get enough of a chance at us but went on to prove himself at our level is lawless. Even then you're going back 10 years.  Could have been others but he's the only one that comes to mind, certainly not a common occurrence. 

I'd rather see us finding a way of keeping the likes of mckinstry, mcalear, etc. We know we're re never going to sign an international player, but we can develop one... but more often than not our top youth are poached before they reach the first team. Kind of makes you wonder "whats the point?" And I can see why falkirk (for example) have done away with their youth academy... however I'd never support us doing that. It is still pretty successful in spite of that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Pleading poverty is what we do...and to be fair, it works

Absolutely.  I don't know if anyone caught the Scottish Football Marketing Podcast where Grant Russell is interviewed.  There's a discussion around the club's goal for a season and how that is communicated and returned to, again and again throughout the season with the successful results achieved from it.  It is exactly the same with referencing the financial position.

34 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

To be fair, in recent-ish times, the only young player who didn't get enough of a chance at us but went on to prove himself at our level is lawless. Even then you're going back 10 years.  Could have been others but he's the only one that comes to mind, certainly not a common occurrence. 

I'd rather see us finding a way of keeping the likes of mckinstry, mcalear, etc. We know we're re never going to sign an international player, but we can develop one... but more often than not our top youth are poached before they reach the first team. Kind of makes you wonder "whats the point?" And I can see why falkirk (for example) have done away with their youth academy... however I'd never support us doing that. It is still pretty successful in spite of that.

I suppose there are several hundred thousand of pounds worth of reasons why even though McKinstry and McAlear barely kicked a ball in anger for the first team, so there's definitely a point.

All they can do is develop players and hope that more of them go down the Scott and Turnbull route where a transfer fee will be achieved along as well as first team games rather than the McKinstry and McAlear route but even then if the players are of sufficient quality there will compensation fees and a further boost to the reputation of the club's Academy, which has its own benefits.

37 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I suppose there are several hundred thousand of pounds worth of reasons why even though McKinstry and McAlear barely kicked a ball in anger for the first team, so there's definitely a point.

All they can do is develop players and hope that more of them go down the Scott and Turnbull route where a transfer fee will be achieved along as well as first team games rather than the McKinstry and McAlear route but even then if the players are of sufficient quality there will compensation fees and a further boost to the reputation of the club's Academy, which has its own benefits.

Don't get me wrong - I do see the point from a financial perspective. We have made money off boys that are yet to make it, even at our level, years down the line - hall and leitch a couple examples. They will not all go on to be as good as mcfadden.

But as a fan, its not all about money and I'd love to see more of these lads make their mark on the first team, even if some of them don't.