2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

31 minutes ago, David said:

Longer than 3 years? That's what we've offered him it would seem. 

I guess we'll see what happens, but St Mirren over us in mental. He'd be as well just playing down south with a club that can match their offer. I'd assumed the reason he'd come to us was because of our track record of putting players in the window and getting them bigger moves, and potentially the idea of playing a European game or two.

St Mirren offer nothing like that.

So we allegedly offered Tait a 3 year deal, so is that idle speculation or were you in the office when the offer was put to him?

All this we offred him this or that chat from fans like us is bullshit as we don't know, as is I heard it from a good source at the club pish,  so the truth is we don't know  end of.

But as footballers are like the rest of us when looking for a job, we tend to take the best deal that suits what we are looking for.

So as he opted to say no thanks to Motherwell and move to St Mirren I am believing he took the best deal on offer, ie better than Motherwell's 

Just now, Spiderpig said:

So we allegedly offered Tait a 3 year deal, so is that idle speculation or were you in the office when the offer was put to him?

All this we offred him this or that chat from fans like us is bullshit as we don't know, as is I heard it from a good source at the club pish,  so the truth is we don't know  end of.

But as footballers are like the rest of us when looking for a job, we tend to take the best deal that suits what we are looking for.

So as he opted to say no thanks to Motherwell and move to St Mirren I am believing he took the best deal on offer, ie better than Motherwell's 

Tait? I'm talking about O'Hara.

48 minutes ago, David said:

Longer than 3 years? That's what we've offered him it would seem. 

I guess we'll see what happens, but St Mirren over us in mental. He'd be as well just playing down south with a club that can match their offer. I'd assumed the reason he'd come to us was because of our track record of putting players in the window and getting them bigger moves, and potentially the idea of playing a European game or two.

St Mirren offer nothing like that.

At the current moment in time we're a more attractive option than St Mirren I'd agree but I wouldn't go so far as to say choosing them over us is insanity, particularly if you are going to get a similar or slightly better deal.

It has already been rightly stated the competition there is in our midfield.  Remember it was about three or four months before O'Hara got anywhere near our starting eleven (admittedly he was injured for a spell).

McGinn via Hibs is now one of the hottest properties in midfield the country. Lewis Morgan won a move to Celtic. Stevie Mallan moved from St Mirren to an English Championship side so there's a pathway to progression there too.

Kilmarnock and ourselves even following the second place finishes illustrate how quickly the provincial teams can go up or down the table.

Whilst ofcourse they cannot offer European football I don't think the gap is anywhere near big enough to suggest it would be insanity to go there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

At the current moment in time we're a more attractive option than St Mirren I'd agree but I wouldn't go so far as to say choosing them over us is insanity, particularly if you are going to get a similar or slightly better deal.

It has already been rightly stated the competition there is in our midfield.  Remember it was about three or four months before O'Hara got anywhere near our starting eleven (admittedly he was injured for a spell).

McGinn via Hibs is now one of the hottest properties in midfield the country. Lewis Morgan won a move to Celtic. Stevie Mallan moved from St Mirren to an English Championship side so there's a pathway to progression there too.

Kilmarnock and ourselves even following the second place finishes illustrate how quickly the provincial teams can go up or down the table.

Whilst ofcourse they cannot offer European football I don't think the gap is anywhere near big enough to suggest it would be insanity to go there.

I'm not sure I'd agree mate, I think St Mirren, most seasons, are far more in danger of going down than we are. There's a chance he could be giving up a contract at a team where he knows the layout, knows the manager, and knows what we're capable of, to go to St Mirren where he could easily end up relegated.

I think anyone who knocks us back for St Mirren is mental at this point in time. Unless we're offering them much less money, of course. But I'd be surprised if that was the case here.

I'd be surprised if he went there instead of to us, especially if the terms are anything close to being similar.

Expect him to be announced by us come Monday, still think it’s games played between Fry and his agent. They have already stated we offered him a 3 year deal which we won’t have. Having said that I actually agree with Steelboy ( never thought it would happen).

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

if Mark O'Hara chooses St Mirren so what ? if they offer him a better deal good luck to him. We should only offer what we think hes worth if St Mirren think hes worth more fine. Im sure Robinson has other irons in the fire should Mark choose Paisley.

Totally agree, get your agent to start a bidding war, max out the offers on the table and pick the best one to meet your expectations,  absolutely nothing wrong with that, fair play to him.

Listened to Tait on Radio Scotland ok praising MFC but very unhappy with the way he left basically he actually signed a contract extension before the Coronavirus and then Motherwell wanted to change terms when the coronavirus kicked in , saying that Alan Burrows was going to call him back but never did, so saw the writing on the wall. Have to say not too happy if that’s the way they treat players.

He also did say that in his opinion he was fit and playing well but didn’t think was SR’s plans!!!

5 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Listened to Tait on Radio Scotland ok praising MFC but very unhappy with the way he left basically he actually signed a contract extension before the Coronavirus and then Motherwell wanted to change terms when the coronavirus kicked in , saying that Alan Burrows was going to call him back but never did, so saw the writing on the wall. Have to say not too happy if that’s the way they treat players.

He also did say that in his opinion he was fit and playing well but didn’t think was SR’s plans!!!

Quite surprised at that, not something you hear from departed Motherwell players, we seem to be pretty decent in general. Only one side of the story though I guess.

I'd like to hear the club's take on this. Just my opinion but I think he regressed last season, losing a fair bit of pace. Grimmy ousted him from the starting 11 at right back and we had a first choice left back. A good servant, but was he worth another deal and being a year older too? Probably not in Robbo's plans, or if so, only as squad back up - speculation on my part though. From a hard footballing perspective, not a great loss, but good luck to him.    

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I'm not sure there's quite the evidence to suggest that is common place on how things are undertaken. Indeed we only have Tait's word things went down as they did in this particular instance.

But what we do know is that a number of supporters were keen for the club to furlough players as soon as was possible to reduce the expected losses resulting from Covid-19.  Seeking to renegotiate as yet uncompleted contracts to take account of that unprecedented situation is another.

And let's not forget too that in the same batch of out of contract players a short term contract was offered to an injured player in Charles Dunne who had yet to regain fitness as was the case the season before with Craig Tanner when in both cases they could quite easily have said thank you and goodbye.

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

I'm not sure there's quite the evidence to suggest that is common place on how things are undertaken. Indeed we only have Tait's word things went down as they did in this particular instance.

But what we do know is that a number of supporters were keen for the club to furlough players as soon as was possible to reduce the expected losses resulting from Covid-19.  Seeking to renegotiate as yet uncompleted contracts to take account of that unprecedented situation is another.

And let's not forget too that in the same batch of out of contract players a short term contract was offered to an injured player in Charles Dunne who had yet to regain fitness as was the case the season before with Craig Tanner when in both cases they could quite easily have said thank you and goodbye.

The main question for me would be the club coming back to him after he actually signed the extension asking him to reduce the terms. If I remember rightly Hartley had agreed a new contract then the club came back to him before anything was signed.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:36 PM, Yorkyred said:

Expect him to be announced by us come Monday, still think it’s games played between Fry and his agent. They have already stated we offered him a 3 year deal which we won’t have. Having said that I actually agree with Steelboy ( never thought it would happen).

Time he said to us ‘ take me I’m yours” 

14 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Looks like Neilson going to leave Dundee Utd to go Hearts 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53131136

Wonder what odds on Utd coming in for Robinson

Neilson won't come cheap and Hearts will have to fork out hefty compensation to United. They'll also have to pay Stendel's contract. In the current and future financial climate how can Hearts afford this?

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Time he said to us ‘ take me I’m yours” 

or CYA Im off to Paisley. 

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Neilson won't come cheap and Hearts will have to fork out hefty compensation to United. They'll also have to pay Stendel's contract. In the current and future financial climate how can Hearts afford this?

Because they have some very wealthy people helping them out. That guy who wanted to put £2million into the Scottish leagues weighs heavily into Hearts