2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

13 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The main question for me would be the club coming back to him after he actually signed the extension asking him to reduce the terms. If I remember rightly Hartley had agreed a new contract then the club came back to him before anything was signed.

I can't claim to know the full process involved in a player signing a contract and it getting to the point where it is legally binding but it would seem not to have been fully concluded otherwise Richard surely wouldn't have been able to join St Mirren or would he have some kind of case against the club for reneging on agreed terms.

It remains to be seen whether the club will choose to respond and we may be in a better position then to judge if Motherwell have acted if not illegally, but in poor spirit, but boot on the other foot it won't have been the first time a player has committed to the club but then made a last minute decision to change their mind and do something different leaving the club high and dry.

Time will tell I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Al B said:

I love Richard Tait and i'm sad to see him go, but if that's his honest benchmark for what looking fit and playing well is, then perhaps the outcome is best for all concerned.

I agree entirely as Tait needed to move on as he even admitted that he wasn’t in Robinson’s plans for first choice.

5 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Because they have some very wealthy people helping them out. That guy who wanted to put £2million into the Scottish leagues weighs heavily into Hearts

Hibs have a very wealthy person helping them out too. Now they are pleading poverty, mothballing their academy and cutting players' wages.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Hibs have a very wealthy person helping them out too. Now they are pleading poverty, mothballing their academy and cutting players' wages.

Americans aren't buying Scottish clubs out of the goodness of their hearts they obviously want to make some money out of it.

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Americans aren't buying Scottish clubs out of the goodness of their hearts they obviously want to make some money out of it.

And of course my original post should have said Hearts. Yeah you are right but frankly they should be able to make money out of a club the size of Hearts if they go about it the right way.

Well it’s the managers merry go round again with Robbie Neilson back at Tynecastle, which definitely came out of the blue and nobody saw that coming. Anyway it brings up various scenarios as Tommy Wright is the bookies favourite for the Dundee Utd job, but I would think that Tommy would be more interested in the Northern Ireland job, so hopefully this will make the Ireland FA sit up and take notice and hopefully make an appointment soon, or maybe Stephen Robinson is earmarked for the Northern Ireland job?

let’s hope it is all resolved very soon as much as I want SR to stay you would not grudge him the Northern Ireland job, but I think it has to be resolved soon in order for all parties involved can move on either way.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Well it’s the managers merry go round again with Robbie Neilson back at Tynecastle, which definitely came out of the blue and nobody saw that coming. Anyway it brings up various scenarios as Tommy Wright is the bookies favourite for the Dundee Utd job, but I would think that Tommy would be more interested in the Northern Ireland job, so hopefully this will make the Ireland FA sit up and take notice and hopefully make an appointment soon, or maybe Stephen Robinson is earmarked for the Northern Ireland job?

let’s hope it is all resolved very soon as much as I want SR to stay you would not grudge him the Northern Ireland job, but I think it has to be resolved soon in order for all parties involved can move on either way.

Not so sure Robbo would be up for the NI job at this moment in time. The latest promo video from the club has a mini-interview with him where he says he's missed the lads, the day to day buzz, improving players, etc. Could all be social media talk but I think he'd miss all of that if he made the move to international management at the moment.

Dundee United are a more likely destination I'd say, but given current legal shenanigans I'm not sure how desirable they'd be.

It's difficult to tell for sure, of course, but I always felt that Robinson loves the day to day interactions of club management and isn't ready to give that up yet for international duties.

It will probably be in his future, though. I still think Baraclough will be the next NI manager. He has an impressive track record with their U21s. 

7 minutes ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

Opinions if this is on purpose to try create a bit more of an identity within team or just a coincidence :wacko:

Probably a coincidence, but I'm sure it'll be used to run a 'local lads who understand the area' type player branding  thingy at some point through the season.

It's all smoke and mirrors which I for one will 100% buy into. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Not so sure Robbo would be up for the NI job at this moment in time. The latest promo video from the club has a mini-interview with him where he says he's missed the lads, the day to day buzz, improving players, etc. Could all be social media talk but I think he'd miss all of that if he made the move to international management at the moment.

Dundee United are a more likely destination I'd say, but given current legal shenanigans I'm not sure how desirable they'd be.

According to Sky Sports NI interviews will start this coming Wednesday. 

You would have to imagine that Robbo will be invited to take part and if he does then he would be part of the process and whilst he could turn it down if offered the role I doubt he would as he would be on up to 3 to 4 times his Well salary. 

For selfish reasons I think it is too soon for him. He continues to do a good job with us then it won’t be long before a decent gig down south comes up.

I hope we are not in for a nasty surprise shortly. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

You would have to imagine that Robbo will be invited to take part and if he does then he would be part of the process and whilst he could turn it down if offered the role I doubt he would as he would be on up to 3 to 4 times his Well salary. 

For selfish reasons I think it is too soon for him. He continues to do a good job with us then it won’t be long before a decent gig down south comes up.

I really hope not as he is an excellent manager imo.

We have had a very good season last year and the last thing we would want is disruption on the managerial front.

However whatever happens we will adapt I'm sure.

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

When he had his interview for the Well job, he was the most thorough candidate and very impressive according to Alan Burrows, so I would imagine he could be easily impressive for the Northern Island job...unfortunately!!

13 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

When he had his interview for the Well job, he was the most thorough candidate and very impressive according to Alan Burrows, so I would imagine he could be easily impressive for the Northern Island job...unfortunately!!

So was Baraclough though.  I heard a story that Baraclough had folders full of players histories (Louis Moult was the example given) and was the most thoroughly prepared of the candidates at the time. I would like to see Baraclough get the NI job. Despite the opinion of some Well fans (the same ones that were telling us not so long ago that Robinson should be sacked), I think he has the makings of a very good manager. He has done very well with the NI U21's. It would also mean that we could keep our manager. 

4 minutes ago, numpty said:

As, you would hope, is any manager we've interviewed and subsequently offered the job to. 

Indeed. I was making the point in relation to Robinson also being well prepared. In a NI interview I think both men would be thoroughly prepared. My hunch is that Robinson may well get the NI job with Baraclough his assistant. They seem to have a strong relationship so it would be a good fit.  I would prefer however that Robinson stay with us.

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'd be surprised if Robinson wanted the NI job at this stage. But then again, I thought there was zero chance Hearts would poach Neilson from United.

I think he might, and also think he has a good chance of getting it.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'd be surprised if Robinson wanted the NI job at this stage. But then again, I thought there was zero chance Hearts would poach Neilson from United.

I think he has already gone on record saying that there is only one job that he would be interested him and that’s the Northern Ireland job, as he said it would be a honour to manage the country you were born.

7 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I think he has already gone on record saying that there is only one job that he would be interested him and that’s the Northern Ireland job, as he said it would be a honour to manage the country you were born.

In one of his interviews he also said he thought it was probably a bit too soon for him.

Of course, that it is the correct thing to say when you're dealing with speculation, so I took that with the necessary grain of salt.