2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I always thought Polworth was the replacement for Turnbull - before it all went pear shaped.

I can see the logic behind O'Hara for Campbell, although Campbell would be a big loss.

Sets our youth development back though?

On what I seen of him last year & it was more than most, I’m just failing to see value for money in acquiring him.

4 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Sets our youth development back though?

On what I seen of him last year & it was more than most, I’m just failing to see value for money in acquiring him.

Fair enough. I am, at best, on the fence as I never saw enough of him last season to be able to judge.  

If there are youngsters ready for the step up I would definitely prefer they get that chance. 

6 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

You seem to be the only person who isn't happy with him signing. Solid enough player at our level, we know what we are getting with him, still young enough. 

Who's pathway does he block, out of interest?

Those who won’t feature at reserve level this season?

It remains to be seen what shape the squad is in in once things kick off but as it stands there seems as much continuity and hopefully an assurance of what level they are at, for as long as I can remember.

As is stands from a team that was third we've had a not far off a like-for-like change in goal.  We've replaced a experienced centre-half that had a couple of seasons in the top flight, with a younger centre-half who has had a couple of seasons experience in the top flight. O'Hara is back and Turnbull will be like a new player.  If Long re-signs then it's a pretty settled looking team.

Of course the transfer window hasn't even opened yet so....

O'Hara based on his second half of season performances is an excellent signing. Complements Polworth and Campbell really well and I suspectTurnbull until the time the great one leaves.

I do believe though that with the amount of signings we are making(  and with more to come) MFC are expecting a big fee from Celtic for DT before the transfer window closes. 

Also feel that with O'Hara joining ( + Mc Ginley) this perhaps increases the chances of SR staying.

Whatever, we are looking good for the new season.

I’m quietly confident at this point, we still need more up front out wide but other than that we won’t be struggling again next season. Making top three will no doubt be tough but top six is certainly more than doable. Obviously we could still lose key players and we don’t know what’s happening with long.

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Those who won’t feature at reserve level this season?

Are any of those boys better options than o'hara? Or even ready to step up, semple is a different type of midfilder, probably behind tunrbull and polworth in the pecking order. I don't know much about cornelius, highly rated but is he ready for the step up yet? Who else is there, Barry Maguire?

Can't imagine there is a fan alive who wants to see the back of Robinson. If he does get the Job he will leave with everyones best wishes. Anyway, worst case scenario, the motherwell job would be right appealing which will hopefully put the usual shouts of Owen coyle and John Hughes to bed.

10 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Can't imagine there is a fan alive who wants to see the back of Robinson. If he does get the Job he will leave with everyones best wishes. Anyway, worst case scenario, the motherwell job would be right appealing which will hopefully put the usual shouts of Owen coyle and John Hughes to bed.

There were one or two on here who said his time was up at the back end of 2017.

13 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

The people charged with making those decisions for the club have done a decent job of it thus far, so if they see value in him that's good enough for me.

Ive never been a big fan of Robinson, and believe 100% he should have been sacked a couple of times (and would have with a different club!) 

However while he certainly isnt the Messiah some make him out to be, nobody could seriously say he hasnt done a good job here overall. If he stays, I wouldnt be unhappy, if he leaves he goes with nothing but my best wishes, he deserves the opportunity.

At least if he does go, there wont be any upheaval. We dont need to bother with interviews and will save money by shifting Las & Mo Ross over from their current roles

If he goes he will be replaced now what I am wondering is this the N.Ireland job has been up for grabs for a wee bit and Robinson has always been in the frame so they must have knew last wee while they were going to be interviewing before internationals start back up September/November.So why is he building the team for new season for next man to come in?

Makes me think that Lasley will get the job from the off and that makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

If Robinson does go, it makes absolute sense to promote from within. 

Unless you're a club who can pay top dollar for a new manager, and also pay to bring in the players he wants for the system he wants to play, then it's the best option. Lasley knows exactly how we've been operating of late. He knows the systems that are working, he knows the players we have, he knows the youth players earmarked for a step-up, and he knows the transfer targets we have.

It's seamless, and also cost-effective.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

If he goes he will be replaced now what I am wondering is this the N.Ireland job has been up for grabs for a wee bit and Robinson has always been in the frame so they must have knew last wee while they were going to be interviewing before internationals start back up September/November.So why is he building the team for new season for next man to come in?

I think because there is a structure, a shared responsibility and a strategy concerning the signing of players that would continue regardless of who the manager is.

The aim of trying to recruit players for free, or for relatively modest sums, and in time sell them on at some profit is well known.  To deliver those players is Martin Foyle (Gary Owers I think) our Director of Recruitment and his team of scouts in combination with the manager. The manager will of course dictate a preference, I would very much assume would have final say but I think anyone in the manager's role at Motherwell will have taken the role in the full knowledge, and will have to invest fully in what is expected from them when it comes to player recruitment.

6 minutes ago, David said:

If Robinson does go, it makes absolute sense to promote from within. 

Unless you're a club who can pay top dollar for a new manager, and also pay to bring in the players he wants for the system he wants to play, then it's the best option. Lasley knows exactly how we've been operating of late. He knows the systems that are working, he knows the players we have, he knows the youth players earmarked for a step-up, and he knows the transfer targets we have.

It's seamless, and also cost-effective.

Sounds good, but it's also assuming he has the skills and character to be a manager. He might be a brilliant assistant manager and made a great club captain, but stepping into the managers post is a different job all together. 

• Like 2

Tabloid press is reporting that we've offered Robbo an improved deal to try and persuade him to stay.
NI have shown they can throw money at a manager if they want so I don't think we're in a position to compete on that front.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Tabloid press is reporting that we've offered Robbo an improved deal to try and persuade him to stay.

Considering the club are always announcing budget cuts and we have no money then would be interesting how we could offer him an improved deal.  If he goes then I wish him all the best and we move on. Also great news for his lad as he will make his international debut in the play off!! Ba boom....COYW

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Considering the club are always announcing budget cuts and we have no money then would be interesting how we could offer him an improved deal.  If he goes then I wish him all the best and we move on. Also great news for his lad as he will make his international debut in the play off!! Ba boom....COYW

The cuts that saw an increase in the playing budget last season?